PPTP VPN do not connect after changing of the Hostname IP Address.

2 weeks ago
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

I have the issue with my PPTP VPN. When I restart my modem (after which it gets a new WAN IP from my ISP) or when my modem gets a new IP from my ISP every morning, the remote gateway cannot connect to the PPTP VPN server with the new IP.

ER605 Router   ---   Modem (Dynamic Global IP)   ----------               Internet                 ----------   ER605 Router (no global IP)

PPTP Server                                                                                                                                       PPTP Client

IP Changes                                               IP of hostname updates                   PPTp Client cannot connect to PPTP Server

After reboot or

at 5 o'clock

in the morning

Options
2 Reply
Re:PPTP VPN do not connect after changing of the Hostname IP Address.
2 weeks ago

Hi @vedat 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It seems that you have to reconnect the client ER605 or reboot every day to reconnect.

This is common stuff and I have seen this behavior on the Wireguard.

First, it does not reconnect after the disconnection because the DNS cache may still tell the remote server to the old IP address.

Second, during the connection it does not detect the remote server IP if it has changed. So, reconnecting would fix it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:PPTP VPN do not connect after changing of the Hostname IP Address.
a week ago
Hi @Clive_A Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I have to think of another solution. Best regard
Options