EAP 245 stuck in "Adopting" after setting management VLAN

a week ago - last edited Wednesday
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Controller: OC200, firmware 5.13.30.20

Router: TL-ER7206 v1.0 firmware 1.4.1 (connected from LAN1 to switch port 16)

Switch: TL-SG3218XP-M2 v1.0 firmware 1.0.3

AP's: EAP245 (EU) firmware 5.0.6

I went from a network with multiple small non-Omada switches to one bigger managed Omada switch (SG3218XP-M2).

My router (ER7206) is connected from LAN1 to port 16 of the switch.

The controller (OC200) is connected to port 1 of the switch and is powered by PoE.

Two EAP245 are connected to ports 2 and 4 of the switch.

I have multiple interfaces under Settings > Wired Networks > LAN:

Interface 1: Private LAN, VLAN 1, IP 192.168.1.1/24

Interface 2: IoT LAN, VLAN 2, 192.168.2.1/24

Interface 3: Guest LAN, VLAN 3, 192.168.3.1/24

Under Settings > Wireless Networks > WLAN:

SSID 1: VLAN 1

SSID 2: VLAN 2

SSID 3: VLAN 3

All switch ports have "All" set as profile.

Under Devices > Switch > Config > VLAN Interface, all VLAN's are enabled.

VLAN 1 is marked as the management VLAN and configured as such on the switch. Works fine.

When I configure the management VLAN on the access points (under Devices > AP > Config > Services > Management VLAN > Enable and set VLAN 1), I lose the connection with the AP's and they get stuck on "Adopting". No more WiFi access and not longer possible to configure the AP's.

My switch runs on management VLAN 1, so why would it not be possible for the AP's to be managed on VLAN 1?

I've reset the devices over 10 times now to try different options, but it simply does not work. What am I not seeing/forgetting?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP 245 stuck in "Adopting" after setting management VLAN-Solution

@EricMulder 

you cannot turn on management vlan 1 on the access points, vlan 1 is default untagged and when you turn on the manage vlan and set it to 1, then vlan 1 is tagged on the access point, then they cannot talk to each other anymore.. as long as you use vlan1 as management vlan, then you should not activate this on either the switch or access point.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP 245 stuck in "Adopting" after setting management VLAN
a week ago

@EricMulder 

Hi Eric,

if I remember correctly, there is an update in beta for the controller that avoids the usage of the same VLAN for SSID and Management in the EAPs, so my guess is that this is not possible and creates issues.

In my personal case, the switch is on VLAN 1 without Management VLAN set, while the EAPs are on the VLAN 99 set as Management VLAN and this config works perfectly.

My EAPs are 653 Slim.

Thank you,

Fra

Options
Re:EAP 245 stuck in "Adopting" after setting management VLAN
a week ago
After taking a step back to assess the situation, I suddenly realized where things go wrong. In my previous setup I had two stand-alone managed switches for which I manually created the VLAN setup. Now that switch management is migrated to Omada SDN, I no longer have full control of VLAN configuration as not every feature is available in Omada. Maybe it is and I just cannot find it, but what I'm missing is the ability to create a trunk profile (i.e. all VLAN's tagged instead of always having an untagged primary VLAN and tagged member VLAN's). I probably can get around this by just creating a dummy VLAN and use that as primary, while adding all actually used VLAN's as tagged member.
Options
Re:EAP 245 stuck in "Adopting" after setting management VLAN-Solution

@EricMulder 

you cannot turn on management vlan 1 on the access points, vlan 1 is default untagged and when you turn on the manage vlan and set it to 1, then vlan 1 is tagged on the access point, then they cannot talk to each other anymore.. as long as you use vlan1 as management vlan, then you should not activate this on either the switch or access point.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 55

Replies: 3

Related Articles