Ethernet backhaul vs Ethernet AP

2024-07-22 16:38:56
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6

Hi,
I just want to ask this one simple thing, because all I see are comparison between ethernet backhaul and onemesh over wifi, but no information what so ever of the actual difference if the devices are connected over ethernet already, and one of which is already in an AP mode, istead of router mode.

My other device is AX53, and currently only supports ethernet backhaul with a beta firmware -and I'm not a fan of alpha/beta softwares.
AX73 is the main router, and the 1st device of my network after the optical ONT, then there's a AX53 which is connected to AX73 over ethernet, and is configured in AP mode.
Question is:
Will there be any benefits of adding the devices into a onemesh setup using the ethernet backhaul?
Because as it is currently, I'm not having any issues, I have my 2 seperate wifis and my mobile devices are connected to both, so once one of them is closer, it auto connects to it anyway, which is also something that has been highly advertised in the onemesh setup that you don't have to "worry" about on which router/ap your device is connected to.... But I'm not anyway so.... this kind of defeats the point, or I'm completely missing something.
So an honest question is... What will be the actual benefits of this so it is advertised so hard, and what makes it so much different then an AP over ethernet?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet backhaul vs Ethernet AP
2024-07-22 17:19:46

@Evil1nside 

It's all about seamless roaming - details. Mesh networks can use wireless or wired (ethernet) backhaul.

I'm not using mesh features and I don't miss them, so if that works fine for you, there's no need to change anything.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-07-22 17:52:39

@terziyski 
Thanks for your reply, but that's exactly what I mean also.
I'm just trying to figure out if that ethernet backhaul onemesh system is something actually "wow" or it's more or less a gymic in most of its benefits.
I mean...
On theory, you can have the same setup, and functionality by simply giving your wifi networks the same name and everything, and then connect your routers with ethernet in to AP mode... 
So having all this in mind, is it, or it's not a complete gymic?
Basically is there a single reason one would prefer a ethernet onemesh setup vs another ethernet setup, simply not in a onemesh...?

Options
2024-07-22 18:29:23

@Evil1nside 

You have to distinct between Onemesh and Easymesh.

Onemsh doesn't support ethernet backhaul, Easymesh does.

Here's a FAQ that can shed some light for you.

Mesh networks are using a roaming protocols for seamless roaming.

Without a mesh network your devices will roam too, but probably not so seamless as when using a mesh - that's the difference.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-07-23 07:49:34 - last edited 2024-07-23 07:57:54

@Evil1nside 

Hi to give my 5 pence for what its worth from my point of veiw after using easymesh. 

When it finally rolled out for my routers 

(I have 3x AX72 v1 

1x main 2x AP)

In my house I have setup a wired network where anything that can be wired is wired and for the wifi only devices is soley on the wifi 

I was reluctant at first just becuase my units are spread out all over my property so didn't want the hassle of running up and down multiple floors of stairs and going back and forth to bottom of my garden in my man cave plus as bad as it is going to sound I wanted to wait to see if it was as reliable as it was made out to be, 

Fast forward about 3 months of seeing everyone singing praises about it I bit the bullet and changed over to it. 

From the get go I had nothing but issues. I have made a few post showing all my issues I was having. 

Constant crashes where everything would loose connection even though it would show the wifi network was on if you searched for it but refused to let you connect. Even devices connected via ethernet would be connected bit had no internet whilst some would be working at the same time?

Resulting in complete restart of the whole network. 

If I plugged a ethernet in or took one out of the main unit all hell would break loose. Resulting in complete crash again and complete restart again. 

If I tried implementing any changes via the Web GUI or tether that would crash the whole system as well as not save any of the changes I wanted to make.

And again having to restart the whole network again every time Which ment I would have to run up and down multiple floors of my house to turn the unit off and on again aswell as back and forth to bottom of my garden to my mancave to restart That unit which I obv didn't want to have to do unessarily. 

i did notice that the main unit cpu ect was always nearly maxed out even when i was the only person connected ( when everyone was connected and when guests was over I had about 50 devices connected)and using the Internet so maybe it was that that was causing it to crash 🤷🏼‍♂️. 

eventually even with help of tech support not being able to figure out the issue i had enough and switched back to having 1x main and 2x AP again and havent had a single issue like i was having again.

Now I have had about 65 devices connect on busiest day and it's not even skipped a beat even when atleast say 20 devices are using the Internet at the same time  

I wouldn't say don't switch over and try it as it might work for you but I'm happy with how mine is now all running with same ssid's ect and I have all my units transmition power turned down to medium and so far I don't really have any issues with swapping over between units. 

Plus the not being able to turn on the Geust network or IOT network on the mesh satellites made no sence to me as I have a big property with multiple thick walls between each floors and have iot devices spread out all over so if you have a big property or a property where you have thick walls ect and need multiple units becuase the wifi can't reach those places then I wouldn't recommend easymesh if you want to use those networks for obv reasons. 

I'm no way bashing tp link products as I've recommend tp link products to family and friends amd theyve all been happy with their purchases and  from what stuff I do have 

8 tapo bulbs 

8 tapo cameras

2 24port switch's 

3x Ax72 routers 

And I'm soon to be adding even more tapo bulbs when I eventually get round to putting in the spot lights all round my house ( around 20).

Options