No IPs assigned for custom VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-06 13:31:51 - last edited 2023-10-13 01:17:41
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20230602 Rel.76586

I am building a new home network using the controller OC200, TL-SG3210XHP-M2 for switch and two access points EAP650-Wall(EU) v1.0.

For my main LAN I am using the DHCP of the modem router provided by the ISP (192.168.7.x/24), gateway IP 192.168.7.1
Then using the interface of the OC200 I am setting the default LAN netowork as follows:

Then I would like to create a second VLAN for, let's say, for IoT devices. So I have created another LAN network as follows:

Finally I have created a corresponding wireless network for IoT and set its VLAN to the IoT LAN id: 27

Now to test the network I tried to connect my mobile to the SSID of my wireless IoT network. But it does not connect.

I get no IP from the DHCP (I would have expected something in the range of 192.168.27.x).

Most tutorials on setting up VLANs show these steps, however it does not seem to work for me... What am I missing?

thank you.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:No IPs assigned for custom VLANs-Solution
2023-10-08 01:34:01 - last edited 2023-10-13 01:17:41

Hi @Steogen 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Steogen wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks for the tips. I will need a router, makes sense.. any suggestions for a suitable router? ER605 ok?

Only if you need an Omada router. I am not saying that you cannot use other routers if they support VLAN interfaces. As long as they support, configure the VLAN interfaces on them and this VLAN config on the Omada Controller would take effect as well.

But, if you would like to make this happen easily, you can use an Omada router which simply configure the VLAN interfaces in the LAN settings and you can make it work as expected.

If you intend to have long period of product life, I would suggest you purchase a better model. If you go for the cheap solution, ER605 V2 would suffice for most basic features.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-12 03:42:45 - last edited 2023-10-13 01:17:43

Hi @Steogen 

Steogen wrote

@Mickman99 thanks. How would I do that? Is there a guide somewhere I can follow?

His answer is not quite accurate.

If you are going to get an IP, that's easy. Read this article: How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

The old and vintage way to perform a DHCP server on the L3 switch. It's easy to do.

But do you need the Internet? If you need it, then you need the router to perform the NAT. Then you need a function called multi-nets NAT. Well, is this feature available on your existing router? If no, then you still need to get a router capable of that to do this.

I simply pointed you in the right direction where you should easily do this with the Omada solution.

He's using open-source router software and he can either set up the VLAN interface on his router or set up the VLAN and NAT on the router then set up the switch as the DHCP server and perform the IP assignment.

You should take a look at your current device before moving to the next step.

Also, the VLAN interface and 802.1Q VLAN are different. Google this and you can easily find the answers. FAQ provided above is 802.1Q VLAN, not the interface created on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:No IPs assigned for custom VLANs
2023-10-07 02:35:23 - last edited 2023-10-07 02:41:16

Hi @Steogen 

What router and switch do you use? The router, is it an Omada one?

Switch, is it 3210XHP-M2 V1?

Simply setting up the VLAN interfaces and creating a VLAN SSID would not make it work until you fix the problem on your router.

What you created in the pictures are VLAN interfaces which require the Omada router. If you don't have an Omada router, then your configuration would not work in that way. It simply means nothing to the switch. The interfaces are created on the router.

By default, the controller enables the switch to access all the VLANs. So, the configuration so far looks good. You miss the key point that you don't have an Omada router.

So, configure the VLAN interfaces on your router if it supports and you can still use it in this way.

Options
2023-10-07 21:55:12

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks for the tips. I will need a router, makes sense.. any suggestions for a suitable router? ER605 ok?

Options
2023-10-08 01:34:01 - last edited 2023-10-13 01:17:41

Hi @Steogen 

Steogen wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

Only if you need an Omada router. I am not saying that you cannot use other routers if they support VLAN interfaces. As long as they support, configure the VLAN interfaces on them and this VLAN config on the Omada Controller would take effect as well.

But, if you would like to make this happen easily, you can use an Omada router which simply configure the VLAN interfaces in the LAN settings and you can make it work as expected.

If you intend to have long period of product life, I would suggest you purchase a better model. If you go for the cheap solution, ER605 V2 would suffice for most basic features.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-11 06:35:48

@Steogen 

you can make DHCP on the switch

pfSense --> TL-SX3008F L3 --> Omada -->
Options
2023-10-11 09:51:28

@Mickman99 thanks. How would I do that? Is there a guide somewhere I can follow?

Options
2023-10-12 03:42:45 - last edited 2023-10-13 01:17:43

Hi @Steogen 

Steogen wrote

His answer is not quite accurate.

If you are going to get an IP, that's easy. Read this article: How to build up a multi-nets network via Multi-Nets NAT feature on TP-Link router with L2+/L3 switches

The old and vintage way to perform a DHCP server on the L3 switch. It's easy to do.

But do you need the Internet? If you need it, then you need the router to perform the NAT. Then you need a function called multi-nets NAT. Well, is this feature available on your existing router? If no, then you still need to get a router capable of that to do this.

I simply pointed you in the right direction where you should easily do this with the Omada solution.

He's using open-source router software and he can either set up the VLAN interface on his router or set up the VLAN and NAT on the router then set up the switch as the DHCP server and perform the IP assignment.

You should take a look at your current device before moving to the next step.

Also, the VLAN interface and 802.1Q VLAN are different. Google this and you can easily find the answers. FAQ provided above is 802.1Q VLAN, not the interface created on the router.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-12 11:38:44
@Clive_A thank you again
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 563

Replies: 7

Related Articles