Switch getting multiple IPs assigned in router?

2024-05-06 19:51:59 - last edited 2024-05-13 01:14:31
Model: SG2210MP  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.20.1

Replaced AP and switches with Omada products. Omada controller running on RPI4. Switch and 2 EAP 670 adopted and configured in controller. 

Router is not TP-Link but a Peplink Balance 20x. Multiple vlans setup in the router and switch .. management vlan is set and all is working.

However, I'm seeing the POE Switch in my router client list with different IPs, 1 for each VLAN. Is this expected? This is not something i was seeing with Peplink APs.

I have trunk profiles for all vlans assigned to the EAP ports on the switch, and the uplink port to router.

All Vlan interfaces are also enabled in the switch config.. a little confused about this config.. should only the management vlan interface be enabled here? This may explain why I' seeing multiple IPs.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switch getting multiple IPs assigned in router?-Solution
2024-05-08 00:47:12 - last edited 2024-05-13 01:14:31

Hi @stego 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

stego wrote

@Clive_A Thanks for the quick reply. 

So I disabled the vlan interfaces in the switch config except for the management vlan (.77)

Now I no longer see each of vlan IP assignments for the switch and only see the DHCP reservation I setup in my .77 subnet for the switch management clan. Each EAP gets a dhcp reservation in the same management vlan along with controller. 

Just wondering the purposes of disabling/enabling VLAN interfaces in the actual switch itself. Doesn't seem to affect routing.   

I assume that you mean the VLAN interface section on the config page? That does not affect anything and is used for the DHCP service if you use the switch as a server. See this as a reference: How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Switch getting multiple IPs assigned in router?
2024-05-07 04:05:57

Hi @stego 

Here's a question from me, will this IP redirect to the page of the switch web GUI? I think not.

So, let's say you have an IP address for each VLAN interface you created, you should be accessible in that VLAN because you have trunked it. But what strange and does not make sense is that you only have one PVID and which represents the VLAN to the switch it belongs to.

I would assume that it is a display problem on your router client list. Only one VLAN IP is accessible to the switch GUI. And it is an untagged VLAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-07 16:47:54

So I disabled the vlan interfaces in the switch config except for the management vlan (.77)

Now I no longer see each of vlan IP assignments for the switch and only see the DHCP reservation I setup in my .77 subnet for the switch management clan. Each EAP gets a dhcp reservation in the same management vlan along with controller. 

Just wondering the purposes of disabling/enabling VLAN interfaces in the actual switch itself. Doesn't seem to affect routing.   

Options
Re:Switch getting multiple IPs assigned in router?-Solution
2024-05-08 00:47:12 - last edited 2024-05-13 01:14:31

Hi @stego 

stego wrote

I assume that you mean the VLAN interface section on the config page? That does not affect anything and is used for the DHCP service if you use the switch as a server. See this as a reference: How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-11 13:50:22

@Clive_A Thanks yes the vlan interface in the switch config.

My understanding though is this needs to be enabled to set a custom management vlan ID which I do. I enabled the management VLAN intereface only, but left the DHCP configuration to "none".

I set a DHCP reservation  in my router for all my devices in the management VLAN and they're getting that IP assigned correctly. (Omada controller, 2 switches and 2 EAPs)

I've now added a second switch to the mix (SG2218) with LAGG for uplink and all seems to be working correctly.

Options