ONVIF different network disconnects
2024-08-06 15:42:45 - last edited 2024-08-06 15:45:01
Model: VIGI NVR1016H  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 240507 Rel.77310n

I have the following NVR

VIGI NVR1016H(UN) 1.0

Firmware Version 1.1.0 Build 240507 Rel.77310n

There are 2 Hikvision cameras NVR connects to over VPN (different network to where the NVR is), and it regularly happens that one of those cameras, or both of them will come up as disconnected even though they are connected as I can ping them or check them with the app.

The only way to reconnect them is to remove and re add them. Is this common behavor or is there a way to refresh NVR so that i tries to reconnect instead of having to remove it altogether and then add it again?

Thanks,

Options
13 Reply
Re:ONVIF different network disconnects
2024-08-07 01:55:07

Hi @scott1981 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You might wanna confirm the VPN tunnel is up and continuous.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-07 03:09:56

@Clive_A 

Thanks for getting back. I confirm the vpn is continuous. In case of interruption, does the NVR try to reconnect to the camera? When i see the camera is disconnected from the NVR, if i go to the ping section in the web ui I am able to ping the camera.

In the event of temporary disconnection, doesn't thr nvr try to reconnect?

Thanks 

Options
2024-08-07 03:21:52

Hi @scott1981 

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for getting back. I confirm the vpn is continuous. In case of interruption, does the NVR try to reconnect to the camera? When i see the camera is disconnected from the NVR, if i go to the ping section in the web ui I am able to ping the camera.

In the event of temporary disconnection, doesn't thr nvr try to reconnect?

Thanks 

Zero loss from the continuous test?

Of course, it reconnects. Periodically without you sense it.

The session for the live feed is not "continuous". It is a minor session and is recreated automatically to reestablish the connection.

In networking, there is no "continuous" session. They are all minor sessions forming up a long session which in your GUI you see a continuous live.

I think it could be the VPN tunnel as it is the foundation of the overall NVR transmission. So I would like to troubleshoot this part first.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-07 13:41:48

@Clive_A 

Sounds good, I will troubleshoot the VPN connection. Just in case VPN drops and reconnects, should the NVR reconnect with the camera once the tunnel it back up?

Thanks,

Options
2024-08-13 01:13:44

@Clive_A 

After doing some troubleshooting here it what I found:

1) Disconnect VPN

2) Verify that IPC appears as Not Connected

3) Reconnect VPN

4) After 5 minutes VPN is back up, IPC still shows as Not Connected

5) NVR is able to ping IPC IP through the tunnel.

6) Remove/Re add the camera and it works again

If NVR is able to ping the camera after restoring connectivity, shouldn't it appear as Connected, meaning the NVR tried to reconnect?

Thanks,

Options
2024-08-13 01:58:38

Hi @scott1981 

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

After doing some troubleshooting here it what I found:

1) Disconnect VPN

2) Verify that IPC appears as Not Connected

3) Reconnect VPN

4) After 5 minutes VPN is back up, IPC still shows as Not Connected

5) NVR is able to ping IPC IP through the tunnel.

6) Remove/Re add the camera and it works again

If NVR is able to ping the camera after restoring connectivity, shouldn't it appear as Connected, meaning the NVR tried to reconnect?

Thanks,

Still seems to be the reestablishment issue. So, when the tunnel is down, the connections between the NVR and the camera are lost. The connection seems to be initiated from the camera after they are added to the camera.

Does your camera support an IP address of the NVR? Input that IP so that the camera can constantly request the reestablishment to the NVR.

For example, the client should request the connection. The controller(like the NVR) allows the connection in but it does not repeatedly start the connection. It listens but never proactively start one.

It should discover but not only establish the connection when you confirm. This is how the controller works.

By setting up the camera to an NVR IP is to set them to constantly connect to a server.

I think you can verify this process by Wireshark. Since I don't have the test environment, but it indeed looks like a problem that we experience on a controller.

The best way is to keep the connection up. If they are down, and you expect they can auto-recover, bypass the VPN. Use the port forwarding. Or set the camera to connect to a server.

Options
2024-08-13 06:19:21

Hi @scott1981

I will also bring my colleague to take a look at this. They'll check this with the test team and learn about what could be wrong in this case.

Options
2024-08-13 15:41:51

@Clive_A 

Thanks Clive. I did the following test this morning:

1) start tcpdump capture on both ends of the VPN (Linux routers) while video is running

2) restart NVR from web ui

3) While it reboots I can see packets going from the camera to the NVR like you said. 

4) After NVR rebooted, it can no longer connect to the camera, however as I am still capturing on both ends, I can see some back and forth packets between the camera and the NVR.

Would it help if I capture packets during the whole process and send it over? If so, please let me know how I can get it over to you.

Thanks,

Options
2024-08-13 18:58:57

@Clive_A 

Quick update, I readded the camera using port 80 instead of 443, and now it reconnects after NVR reboots. Is this normal behavior? Camera is a hikvision model, with self signed certificate (factory certificate).

Thanks

Options
2024-08-22 01:19:06

Hi @scott1981 

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

Quick update, I readded the camera using port 80 instead of 443, and now it reconnects after NVR reboots. Is this normal behavior? Camera is a hikvision model, with self signed certificate (factory certificate).

Thanks

Possible to have a remote session? Let me know if you need to investigate this further or not.

The test team did not reproduce the described issue. We cannot locate the reason so a remote debug would be helpful.

Options