ER707-M2 v1.0 extremely inconsistent connections

Monday
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

I have 6 Omada access points and a controller for a house and large yard.  Previously I used them with a 10+ year old Linksys router, but I recently got gigabit internet and was concerned that the router had not had security updates in years.  The old router worked great, but I was concerned about it and bought a ER707-M2 v1.0.

Unfortunately the ER707-M2 barely works as a router.  On any given Wifi connect attempt, its about 50% if it will actually route packets or simply drop all traffic to the device.  Hand off between APs frequently results in the same non-routing state.  As a result trying to move around my house disconnects me from the internet. This is not due to the Omada access points, since in the non-routing state if I disconnect from an AP and then reconnect back to the same AP it'll usually start working.  I just tried it now and was connected to a specific AP with strong signal but unable to connect to even local lan devices (e.g. Omada controller was not routed to).  Disconnected wifi and reconnect to the same AP and now Omada controller is accessible and I am getting 400 Mbit/s both ways.  Clearly the AP is working.  

Swapping back to the old router completely resolves the issue, but I'd like to be able to use the ER707-M2 rather than send it back.  I've tried every setting I can think of but nothing seems to make a difference.  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:ER707-M2 v1.0 extremely inconsistent connections
Tuesday

@saratoga 

Interesting.  So you are running your devices in standalone, and presumably have an unmanaged L2 switch between the router and APs?  Have you configured any VLANs, say for your SSIDs?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:ER707-M2 v1.0 extremely inconsistent connections
Wednesday

Hi @saratoga 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

saratoga wrote

I have 6 Omada access points and a controller for a house and large yard.  Previously I used them with a 10+ year old Linksys router, but I recently got gigabit internet and was concerned that the router had not had security updates in years.  The old router worked great, but I was concerned about it and bought a ER707-M2 v1.0.

Unfortunately the ER707-M2 barely works as a router.  On any given Wifi connect attempt, its about 50% if it will actually route packets or simply drop all traffic to the device.  Hand off between APs frequently results in the same non-routing state.  As a result trying to move around my house disconnects me from the internet. This is not due to the Omada access points, since in the non-routing state if I disconnect from an AP and then reconnect back to the same AP it'll usually start working.

How do you know and verify that it is not an issue with the access point?

Regarding the 50% or more traffic dropped, how do you verify that? Screenshots?

Is the controller involved? Do you have roaming enabled?

saratoga wrote

I just tried it now and was connected to a specific AP with strong signal but unable to connect to even local lan devices (e.g. Omada controller was not routed to).  Disconnected wifi and reconnect to the same AP and now Omada controller is accessible and I am getting 400 Mbit/s both ways.  Clearly the AP is working.  

Swapping back to the old router completely resolves the issue, but I'd like to be able to use the ER707-M2 rather than send it back.  I've tried every setting I can think of but nothing seems to make a difference.  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Ping your default gateway, will it work? Use -t and see what's the loss? Screenshots required.

Troubleshooting Techniques for Laymen

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options