Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

Votes

Sharing devices between multiple accounts

86 Reply
Re:Sharing devices between multiple accounts
2021-07-16 00:40:11 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@Mr.Brightstar Which manufacture has per device access?

For the cleaning lady & pool use case I'd be tempted to tell them to use the switches manually and not give them access...

Long term guests are trickier - but you can change the password after they leave.  Or create a separate account just for the switches they use, move them back after.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-11-29 05:34:01 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17
This thread is old. Is this planned to be implemented? I found out you can’t share access after setting up most of my house. Now what? Such basic functionality. We’re in the 21st century. Wake up.
Options
2022-01-03 18:47:37 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Is there plans to change this?? My husband and I are finding that we both can't be in the Kasa App (under the same UID) at the same time without issues. Some bulbs show for him, some show for me. When the other logs off, they all show. It would work BEST if we could create our own accounts and share the devices so our "account" isn't confused as to where it should be receiving orders from. Thanks!

Options
2022-01-05 06:27:16 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Hello @SacProGal 

Currently kasa does not  have option to share device to a different email account. 

But Kasa  allows users to log in the  same TP-link account (email address and password) and manage your smart  bound to that account And you and your family should be able to control smart devices at the same time.

If some devices does not show up on Kasa app, please make sure that device is not offline and could be remotely controlled when one user is manage them. If the same issue, I suggest starting a new thread for the concern with cases details or photos. Thank you

Options
2022-01-16 08:16:37 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@M.L. 

I have few Tapo devices, and they can be shared!

Options
2022-01-22 04:22:50 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Wow - just discovered this design oversight. I have a dozen of these smart-plugs, half of which I have used. I just ASSumed this functionality would be there, and so I did not investigate specifically before buying the first 4... They worked so well I bought 8 more, intending to use them across 3 houses in the same family... For example, there is an elderly member of the family we share responsibility for watching and multiple family members from multiple households need access to the appropriate cameras and plugs without seeing what is at other homes... Putting aside privacy, we don't want to accidently turn on/off something at each others houses... 

I will replace with something that does the job required. Can't believe TP-link missed this and has done nothing to address it in the 2+ years since it was brought to their attention.

Options
2022-04-06 23:12:31 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

@Solla-topee 

I think you are missing the point here. I share the frustration of all users requesting this feature. Suggesting to share Kasa login credentials is not a solution, maybe a workaround and not the good one either. I have to admit that despite your devices work great, your platform is not smart. I hope this changes or else I'll have to look for another vendor.

Options
2022-04-17 13:17:06 - last edited 2022-07-29 03:42:17

Looking for two more KP303 like power strips (AU Plugs) But the fact that TPLink does not listen to customers BASIC grips about a dump (smart Wifi) power strip with all of its simple failings make me look elseware as I need to replace my failing KP303 with something actually Smart. That works with HomeAssistant with out the need for constant internet wastage of access to a non 24/7/52/YYYY Proprietry Server that my not even exist next year (Might be discontinued or Changed, TP-Link may not exist) This is very possible as they do not listen to customers ... any other companies that have a better product??

Options
Re:Sharing devices between multiple accounts-Solution
2022-07-29 03:41:03 - last edited 2023-03-02 05:46:43

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the feedback with Kasa Device sharing feature.  

Kasa APP allows logging in TP-Link account on multiple phones, if a second mobile device need to manage your smart device,  try to log in admin account using same email address and password on that second device. 

When you share the account with your friends, family members or anyone else, it is recommended to enable Two-step authentication feature (2FA) in this way, you can see what mobile device has logged in your account, or even force log out a device by removing it from the Trusted Device list.

If you wish to share a device with others, in an office etc., you may create a new TP-Link ID to manage that particular device together or use the physical button to control your smart device.

Your suggestion here for device sharing among different account  will be record regularly and forwarded to the appropriate team for consideration. 

If you request the same feature,  feel free to share more detailed usage scenario like who you'd like to share your account with or whether using the same account will work for you etc., Those  will help us understand better of your request and set priority when this topic being raised with the Product team. 

Thank you!

More Articles:

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-29 04:00:22

@Solla-topee It's been 4 years, and nobody at tp-link seems to understand the use case or how this was a massive oversight?

I got rid of my kasa "smart" plugs over 6 months ago.

Options

Voters 42

+ 38 Voters