Deco M4 DHCP setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 DHCP setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 DHCP setting
Deco M4 DHCP setting
2019-02-25 17:26:23
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

it is possible to change DHCP range from 192.168.64.X to another (for exaple 10.0.0.X) on Deco M4? I cant find it.

And second question is, how I can set up one Deco as a router and second as a AP? In setting is only one options for both unit.

Thank you very much 

Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco M4 DHCP setting
2019-02-27 03:01:39

Hello,

Deco M4 does not support change DHCP server right now, the next firmware will be able to do that.

Please follow this manual to set up the main Deco: https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1592.html, then follow this manual to set up the second or third Deco: https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1590.html, after set up the Deco system, the main Deco will be in the Wireless router mode,  if you want to use the second one as a access point, just connect the second Deco to the first Deco or switch with an Ethernet cable, no need to do any change in the APP.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M4 DHCP setting
2019-07-21 23:14:32

So when is this update coming out? Press Les claimed the M4 could be a dhcp server. As a router it’s about as minimal as it can be. Configuration is easy, but setting up with any advanced settings is impossible.

Options
2020-02-05 18:25:39

@Kevin_Z any news?

It is almost 1 year now.

Just bought the 3 pieces M4 pack and I want to install it in a restaurant I'm preparing to open.

Adjusting the DHCP lease time would be really useful, as the customers are coming and going with my IPs :)

By the way, which is the default lease time now for these devices?

Looking forward for the update.

Guess I'm not the only one.

Cheers!

Options
2020-11-27 16:29:57

Just bought two Decos M4 and I'm running into same issue, where when setup as AP mode it interferes with main router DHCP server and takes whole network down.

Network topology info:

- Internet -> existing main router w/switch -> Ethernet devices connected and two Deco M4 connected via ethernet

- The Deco M4s provide the main location wireless network. Want to use AP mode so that wireless devices servers can be reached by ethernet devices.

Pretty disapointed that after more than a year this is not fixed!!! Seriously this makes access point mode completely useless. What were you thining?!

If this is not resolved soon or a workaround provided, I'll have no choice but to return this and provide a pretty negative review.

Pretty disapointed that TP-Link puts out a product like this

Options
2020-12-24 11:40:14 - last edited 2020-12-24 11:40:36

@FBZ Same problem over here, need also another dhcp range .................

Time to get fixed or buy another router.

Options
2021-09-02 21:44:00

@xslide 

I've had a pair of Deco M4's since June 2020. I've been having this odd issue for a while:

Both Deco's set up as Access Points only.

When my 4G router, which is also the DHCP loses internet connection, the Deco's decide to take over as DHCP server. When the 4G regains connection, the Deco's are still DHCP servers. Nothing has an internet connection.

It's only now I've taken time to look into this and found this silly issue with these Deco's.

Has anyone resolved it?

I've emailed TP-link to ask as well, will see what reply I get. I'll have to return them if they can't as they aren't fit for purpose!

Options
2021-09-03 02:17:37

@Jiffz 

Hi, Can I have the ticket ID?

By the way, May I know the model number of your 4G router?

Could you please draw me a picture of your network topology?

Thank you.

Options
2021-09-18 08:24:08

@xslide 

Hi xslide, sorry for the slow reply.

I've been waiting for the issue to re-appear so I can take screenshots and provide to TP-link by email.

I have a new ticket with all the information provided - TKID210912037

I've had a reply this morning to say

"I checked with our senior engineer. Because the Deco has smart DHCP, when the deco in the AP mode and connecting to the main router and get the IP address, the DHCP server will be off. But if the main router stops assigning IP address, the DHCP server of the Deco will be on and assign the IP address to the other devices. It cannot be shut down for now."

This 'smart DHCP' isn't very smart, it is causing issues for it's users - there are other community posts about this. Many others out there are probably experiencing the same issue without realising this is happening.

There needs to be a way of switching 'smart DHCP' off as it isn't suitable for some users. I don't need them to be the DHCP server at any point.

For me, I paid extra to get some good quality TP Link product so I knew no-one in the house would complain about the wi-fi, but it has causes much more complaints as the devices often lose internet signal - including the Echo dots, which stop us being able to turn certain lights on and off (smart lights).

Frustrating!

Options
2021-10-18 08:52:13

@Jiffz 

I have the same a problem! 

have a decision?

Smart DHCP is a issue in a firmware by DECO

Options
2021-10-18 13:24:27

@tokay 

Good news, they sorted out a beta firmware update. 

I installed it a couple of weeks ago and the problem happened again. I realised that the firmware only updated one deco. 

Bit of a challenge trying to get onto the other deco to install the firmware update from the file on my pc, but managed it last week. 

I can't say for certain that it's worked as the 4g router sometimes didn't play up for weeks, but so far so good.

I am wondering if the TP-Link person on this thread could say that this file will be ok to post publicly?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10933

Replies: 13

Related Articles