VR600v USB Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR600v USB Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VR600v USB Question
VR600v USB Question
2019-04-11 07:09:00 - last edited 2019-04-11 09:46:45
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 0.9.1 v0078.0 Build 170814 Rel.66346n

Hello,

I have a VR600v, I was using 4x 2TB WD Elements USB Powered Hard Drives via a 4port non powered hub as my Media Server. All was working well.

I had a chance to get some 4TB WD Elements USB Powered Hard Drives for a reasonable price and jumped at it knowing that I'll need more space soon, so I purchaced 4 as upgrades. All are NTFS Formatted.

So I replaced the 4x 2TB with the 4x 4TB, but after plugging in the third, it would start clicking. Ok, I thought, needs more power for the larger drives. So I ordered a 4 port powered USB 3.0 Hub (yes, I know it's only USB 2 on the router, just wanted to make sure the drives where getting the power they need). Everything seemed to be working fine, I could see and access the new 4x 4TB Drives. However after about 10 minutes or so the router would reboot, power back up and maybe 5-10 minutes it would reboot again, looping.

I thought it might be a power issue as everything is running from the one power outlet via a UPS. So I grabbed an extention cord and ran it from another power outlet to solely power the router, so the router should be getting enough power, still rebooting.

I disconnected one of the 4TB drives, still rebooting. So I disconnected another 4TB drive an no more rebooting. Totally confused as to why,

So I can get 4x 2TB's working without the need for a powered USB hub, or I can have 2x 4TB's, but I can't have what I want, and that's 4x 4TB hard drives without the constant reboots. If anyone can shine a light on this it would be welcomed.

P.S. I contacted support via online chat from TP-Link's Webpage before I bought the VR600r with questions about the how many USB drives, size limits, etc, and was told that I could have up to 4 USB Hard Drives and 4TB+ Drives would work (as long as they weren't partitioned).

Kozza

Options
1 Reply
Re:VR600v USB Question
2019-04-11 10:42:12

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. 

For your information, 4 HDD in one port is extremely beyond the ability of a simple router, so it is not recommended to use like that. 

Meanwhile, you setup HDD as media server, which occupies capacity a lot. Cause the router works fine with 2 HDD plugged, you can use them as a workaround first.

Besides, we will forward it to our R&D colleagues and they can work on it and improve its capacity and performance. 

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 500

Replies: 1