Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
47 Reply
Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-06-29 08:08:21 - last edited 2019-06-29 08:10:27

I just signed up for the NBN and received a VR-1600v. It worked for the first day, but the second day it would not talk to my desktop computer; all of the other devices in the house, using wi-fi, are able to connect, but the desktop machine - which connects via LAN cable - takes a very long time, upwards of three minutes, to reach any web page. it cannot connect to the router configuration menu. i can connect to the router via an android pad on wifi using a web browser, but it doesn't show anything wrong as far as i can see.

I have to power-cycle the router AND the NBN connection box; after this, my desktop machine can connect easily until the next day, when i have to power-cycle both boxes again.

--

Options
Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-06-30 09:52:26

I had a similar problem where the PC lost connection to the VR1600v.

On the PC using the CMD command line app, and using the command

ping 192.168.1.1

This would show that ICMP test packets were being lost.

The problem went away when I power cycled the VR1600v.

This happened a couple of times, but not for a while.

On thinking about that I realised that I had made a DHCP server address reservation for the PC.

Connect to the VR1600v address 192.168.1.1 via your web browser anf login to the admin account.

Click on the Advanced tab on the tp-link page.

Click on Network in the list on the lefthand side.

Click -LAN Settings in hte expanded list.

Scroll the tp-link window down until you see Client List

This list should show the PC (and other connected devices) MAC address of the ethernet adapter.

The MAC address is shown as 6 groups of 2characters each separated by a hyphen eg:

04-BC-34-A8-0D-89 where the letters are in the range A-D (each chracter is a Hexadecimal digit).

Make a note of the MAC address.

Under the Client List is another Table Address Reservation. This list will probably be empty.

Click on the Add icon at the top right of the Address Reservation list.

Enter the MAC address.

The entry will skip to the next space after 2 characters so no need the enter hypens.

You can enter the ABCD as lower case.

Enter the IP address to be reserved. eg:

Click on Save

Restart the PC to force the IP address to be renewed in ht e VR1600v DHCP server.

Or you can (instead of restarting) use the CMD command:

ipconfig /renew

and the command

ipconfig /all

to see if the DHCP address has been granted.

It will be listed as the IPv4 Address with and expiry date way in the future.

The reasoning behind this is that the DHCP server defaults to a default lease time for an IP address of about a day.

My thinking is that for some reason the connection protocol gets into a problem when the DHCP served IP address lease expires.

This needs to be looked at by tp-link, because this did not happen with my old ADSL modem.

Hope this helps...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-06-30 11:06:19

IanC: I've implemented your changes (and the lease is now marked "Permanent", which, yes, is very far in the future). I'll give this a few days to run and I'll let everyone know how well it's working. Thank you!

--

“Don't talk to me about X-rays, I am afraid of them.”
 - Thomas Edison

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-01 01:17:23

Hi Thomas,

Per LanC's suggestion, you can enable the address reservation for the desktop and give it a go. 

You can take more time to test its performance.

Any updates please let us know. 

sheramil wrote

IanC: I've implemented your changes (and the lease is now marked "Permanent", which, yes, is very far in the future). I'll give this a few days to run and I'll let everyone know how well it's working. Thank you!

--

“Don't talk to me about X-rays, I am afraid of them.”
 - Thomas Edison

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-01 11:46:53 - last edited 2019-07-02 05:03:38

Next day, still couldn't browse via the LAN-connected desktop machine. opening a shell, ipconfig confirmed that the dhcp lease had been granted, but i still wasn't able to connect, even to the router; tried pinging my internet service provider:

> ping iinet.net.au

Pinging iinet.net.au [203.173.50.151] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 203.173.50.151:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

i had to power-cycle the router and the NBN box three times before i was able to connect to anything.

incidentally; Firmare version: 0.1.0.0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel. 72265n  ,  Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v2 00000000

is this possibly a hardware problem?

UPDATE: got a text from my internet service provider (at 2:00 am, thanks, iinet) telling me "your service is now active".

no problems connecting to the net via LAN today... can they restrict LAN access remotely? why would they even... never mind. it appears to be working.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-03 05:35:13
and, again, it appears to be not working. a long discussion with the internet service provider suggests it may be a hardware fault, and they're sending out a replacement.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-04 01:38:22

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Once you got the replacement, please take some time to test its performance. 

Any further problem, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-15 01:41:35

the replacement arrived, and it worked on the first day. the second day, the replacement had the same problem, so i got every computer in the house with an ethernet port and tested them all, with several different cables. the first three had the same problem; after half an hour of testing, the modem allowed a connection. the next day it worked; the day after, it didn't. this morning it worked.

i've bought a usb/ethernat adaptor to test the idea that it might be my network card (Realtek PCIe GBE), but if an HP notebook and an Asus laptop have the same problem, i'm disinclined to point the finger at them.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-16 00:26:47

After installing Windows 10 Build 1903, the internet connection problrms started again.

The download of 1903 ran at 49MB/s so,before the install, connection was good.

After the install connection was very slow. ping indicated lots of dropouts.

Restarting the PC and restarting the VR1600v at different times did not help.

Tried installing an older version of the LAN driver (from Dell 12.6.45) that I had available.

The speed of response indicated by the web browser and ping was normal.

Next day the response of the web browser was poor. ping showed again many dropouts.

So the older driver did not fix the problem.

Power cycling the PC and VR1600v at separate times did not fix the probelm.

Powering down both of them together and then back up again as close together as possible

did set the internet response back to normal - as comfrimed by ping.

Also download speeds, as indicated by the Performance tab in Task Manager, were back to 49 MB/s.

This speed was sustained over the download of a 1.7GB file.

That was done on the 14July2019 and the internet has behaved normally upto today (16/07/19),

but I do not have great hopes that it wil last.

Still running on the 12.6.45 LAN driver.

I do not think that it is your interface card that is the problem.

To me it looks more like that the protocol handling between the VR1600v and the PC gets confused.

Then then only way out is to pwer cycle.

This assertion is supported by my original problem of using the MAC address white filter in the VR1600v

which was eliminated by reverting to not using the MAC filter.

Options
Re:Certain devices cannot connect to the internet (Archer VR1600v)
2019-07-16 07:49:55

Hi,

after cpmmecting to the NBN today without much effort, I configured the tp-link vr1600v router. Coming from an older Fritzbox and having had TP-links in the past, it was quite a nice and easy interfaced. I configured whitelisting as this seems to be the better access control. I had the same issue, in that some devices would connect to the internet while others would not. I looked at all the settings for networking and wireless, especially DNS and nothing seemed out of place. I then disabled access control and every device connected just fine. Note, that all devices connected to the wireless, it was access to the internet that was blocked.

So the issues were caused by the access controls.

Regards..

Wifiless

Options
Related Articles