Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-29 01:36:39

Hi, 

Sorry to respond late, our engineer is working on it. and they will contact you via email, if you are willing to do further troubleshooting, please check your inbox. 

Good day. 

Atesz wrote

TP-LINK Deco? Kevin? Anybody?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-06-03 11:37:49
how can i connect M5 DECO thorught ehernet cable on Windows?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-06-03 14:44:32

Looks like I’m not the one facing slow connection speed issue, maybe TP-Link is not ready for more than 500mbps connection, they should mention it as a remark “This Deco unit is designed for up to 500mbps ISP speed”

One thing I found interesting is, I played a game called “Overwatch”, I got 20ms~25ms for ping in the most of time, if I run a speedtest with my iPhone while play this game, the ping will not change in download speedtest and raises to about 37ms in upload speedtest. My internet plan is 800mbps/200mbps, my iPhone only can reach 540mbps/207mbps, 800-530=270, there r still a lot of bandwidth left, that’s y the ping didn’t move at all while downloading. But when I did the same test on Deco M5, the ping raises to 45ms during the whole download speedtest, and upload was about 45ms too. 

Seems like TP-Link is too focus on features like anti-virus/parents control blah blah blah for better marketing and forgot the main function for a router is to handle routing, just like a car with all fancy accessories but max speed is 50mph...... 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-06-09 01:30:11

There are 2 ethernet ports on the Deco M5, you can connect your Windows computer to it by an ethernet cable. 

regza wrote

how can i connect M5 DECO thorught ehernet cable on Windows?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-06-13 03:30:00 - last edited 2019-06-25 03:40:37

heidarren wrote

Looks like I’m not the one facing slow connection speed issue, maybe TP-Link is not ready for more than 500mbps connection, they should mention it as a remark “This Deco unit is designed for up to 500mbps ISP speed”

One thing I found interesting is, I played a game called “Overwatch”, I got 20ms~25ms for ping in the most of time, if I run a speedtest with my iPhone while play this game, the ping will not change in download speedtest and raises to about 37ms in upload speedtest. My internet plan is 800mbps/200mbps, my iPhone only can reach 540mbps/207mbps, 800-530=270, there r still a lot of bandwidth left, that’s y the ping didn’t move at all while downloading. But when I did the same test on Deco M5, the ping raises to 45ms during the whole download speedtest, and upload was about 45ms too. 

Seems like TP-Link is too focus on features like anti-virus/parents control blah blah blah for better marketing and forgot the main function for a router is to handle routing, just like a car with all fancy accessories but max speed is 50mph...... 

Hi There,

Firstly the delay of ping is decided by the speed test server you choose. It only shows the delay between your home network and the Speed Test server, but not your general delay of actual internet access. You could try to ping a website for a check with and without Deco and you will find that the delay is almost the same.

In addition, as per your test on iPhone, the speed could only reach 530Mbps. Need to say that it's decided by the Wi-Fi standards. As what we know, iPhone could only reach a physical link speed of 867Mbps at max. And the actual internet speed may be lower because of necessary Wi-Fi network overhead. Usually 500+Mbps is the maximum wireless speed that an iPhone could achieve. 

You could refer to the thread below for more details about the link speed and actual speed.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/500

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds - Less than 10 mbps..
2019-06-13 11:23:40

Hi Darren,

Happy to see your message that you get some good speed with your DECO...

I recently purchased DECO M5 - 3 units pack and I have very bad experience both from the device and from technical support (who is taking their own sweet time to support)...

Excluding the main DECO unit, both the other  sattelite / remote units provide a very low speed of 10-12 Mbps which was annoying experience..., while my other existing routers / extenders provide > 200+Mbps quality speed...

I was trying to replace my AirTies & other TP-Link modems that I have been using with this new mesh tech..., but after this experience, I am worried about the quality of the tp-link products being sold in the market without proper quality assurance....

The worst part is the speed test feature in the app consistently shows a deceiving result of 800+Mbps anytime you test which the other actual speed test applications shows the actual speed of < 10 - 12 Mbps...

Hoping to get this resolved with Deco support team.... or atleast a suggestion to take back and refund my money....

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-06-15 05:12:44 - last edited 2019-06-15 05:26:40

TP-Link Deco wrote

heidarren wrote

Hi There,

Firstly the delay of ping is decided by the speed test server you choose. It only shows the delay between your home network and the Speed Test server, but not your general delay of actual internet access. You could try to ping a website for a check with and without Deco and you will that the delay is almost the same.

In addition, as per your test on iPhone, the speed could only reach 530Mbps. Need to say that it's decided by the Wi-Fi standards. As what we know, iPhone could only reach a physical link speed of 867Mbps at max. And the actual internet speed may be lower because of necessary Wi-Fi network overhead. Usually 500+Mbps is the maximum wireless speed that an iPhone could achieve. 

You could refer to the thread below for more details about the link speed and actual speed.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/500

I suggest you to read it again, you don’t get what I mean, I’m not discussing about Wi-Fi speed, as it’s not stable and can be affected by many reasons, I’m talking about lan speed and the increasing of ping which shouldn’t happened unless nearly max out the bandwidth, but Deco increases all the time. 

If Deco is the only router I got in hand, I will believe on what you said, but it’s not. If only this Deco have this issue among all the routers in my hand, what do you say?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds - Less than 10 mbps..
2019-06-16 23:14:24

Hi All,

Sharing my experience with TP-Link.

I am still waiting for TP-Link Support and I have lost my product return timelines.....

Have raised queries via the call center and they promised me 24 - 48hrs timeline and no one had called me yet, for the last 4 - 5 days...

Also, no one is there ready to pick up my calls now knowing my contacts...

I think TP-LINK mesh product is a failure...  Also, I get to understand that the product could have a manufacturing defect....  

I am not sure how 2 out of 3 devices purchased could have a manufacturing defect....?

Will keep updating this community...

Options
Related Articles