Deco M5 Ethernet not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-03 15:32:39 - last edited 2021-10-18 05:50:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Just set up my Deco M5 system and wifi works great. However, I tried to use the ethernet port on one of the units in the other room and it won't connect. It doesn't even respond as if it is connected via ethernet. I work from home so it was important for me to have reliable speed so I'm trying to figure out if there is something I need to switch on to allow ethernet ports to function?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet not working-Solution
2021-10-18 04:36:41 - last edited 2021-10-18 05:50:32

@TP-Link 

Many Thanks. Bang on. It was IP TV Setting. It is working fine now.

Case 1(the most common one): IPTV for Set-Top box
If you have subscribed to the IPTV service from the service provided, you might need to enable IPTV service for Deco, once it is enabled, the 2nd port of main Deco is for IPTV service only and no internet service is available anymore.

PS: Some models with firmware above 1.5.0 already support IPTV service on satellite Deco units, so please select other ports for IPTV service and spare the one from the main Deco. How to Configure IPTV function on Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet not working
2021-03-03 15:55:11

@BAC 

Ethernet ports should just work on Deco units. I have Deco M5, I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode, haven't had issues connecting devices with Ethernet cable to M5. 

If you'd like asistance, you may wish to give more details. Such as: what did you try to connect with Ethernet cable, does that device connect to Deco with WiFi, do you run Deco mesh in Access Point mode or in Router (default) mode? 

Finally, that might be a silly question, but still: have you checked that same Deco node is shown as active in Deco app and can you connect WiFi devices to it and if you do - can you see them connected to that Deco (not to a different unit) in Deco app?

Options
2021-03-03 18:04:42

@Alexandre, thanks. I tried to connect a laptop to it. The same laptop worked yesterday with a TP Link extender via ethernet connection before I removed that and installed the Deco M5 system.

It doesn't say that it's even unable to connect to network or unrecognized, it doesn't respond as if it's connected at all.

I run the system using the default router mode. The one I am connected to is not the one directly connected to the modem but one if the satellite ones. And yep thanks I just ensured that devices were current connected (via wifi) to this particular one.

Should I be using access point mode? If so, do I need to add back in my old router and use these items as individual access points? Not a tech pro but can find my way around...so just trying to figure it out.

Thanks 

Options
2021-03-03 19:40:39 - last edited 2021-03-03 19:42:28

@BAC 

I am assuming you've already tried both Deco Ethernet ports and different Ethernet cables, just to cover basics. 

I also hope it is Windows laptop, can't help much with Apple or Linux.

Check if your laptop has static IP address configured for Ethernet connection. Make it dynamic if this was the case. 

It is somewhat possible that laptop can't auto-negotiate Ethernet connection speed with Deco. Force laptop network adapter to gigabit full duplex instead of Auto Negotiate, see if it fixes the issue. You can find that in adapter settings under Device Manager.

Another option, unlikely but who knows, if you accidentally blacklisted laptop in Deco app. Check if you have Offline Devices in Deco app under Network Devices, delete them all.

If that was not it, I would suggest to try running Deco in Access Point mode. At least until you see that everything is working and you are comfortable with Deco mesh and its in app management.

Then, if you need advanced Deco traffic and content management features, or just want to get rid of old router, switch to Deco Router mode.

This is how I would suggest moving Deco to Access Point mode.

1. Power off all Deco nodes.

2. Bring back your old router. 

3. Turn off WiFi on router. To make this also laptop test, first connect laptop to router by Ethernet cable, access router web management page from laptop, turn off WiFi in router settings, verify that laptop still has Internet connectivity (will be wired connection - now you tested, it works).

4. Connect Main Deco to different router port and power Deco on. When Main Deco appears in Deco app as online, change Deco mesh Operating Mode to Access Point mode. Give Main Deco few minutes to settle down. It might restart - then, wait till LED goes green again.

5. Unplug laptop from router and connect it to second port of Main Deco, using same network cable that laptop was connected to router previously. 

This should do the trick. If that works, and laptop has Ethernet connection, power back on Satellite Decos and try laptop with Satellite Deco.

Options
2021-03-07 19:52:55

@Alexandre.  Yes thank you I have tried multiple ports and cords. It either doesn't even recognize the ethernet port is connected or says it is an unknown network with no internet.

I am not a super tech so I like using the QOS option, which will be unavailable with access point mode. Also, if the ports are just supposed to "work", why don't they?

I shouldn't have to do some roundabout method to get them working. Thanks for your help but I suppose I'll just return the Decos.

Options
2021-03-08 01:49:14 - last edited 2021-03-08 01:59:05

@BAC Hi, thanks a lot for your previous trouble-shooting with Alexandre.

Did you set up the static IP address on the laptop before?

And have you enabled any IPTV/VLAN settings for this specific port, such as this link: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2421/ 

By the way, may I know the model number and operating system of your computer?

If you do not mind, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please have a check of your email box later.

Options
2021-10-16 18:32:12

@BAC 

Here are my 5 cents...

I  installed Deco M5 pack yesterday for the client. I found the second ethernet port on the main unit doesn't work. But the ethernet ports on two slave/extender units work without any issues. 

- I tried swapping all three units as main unit, no luck. End up using the ethernet port out of the extender unit.

- I am IT Technician so no question about checking cables and  static/dhcp setting etc. The Tplink support is not helpful either.

I have installed DECO M5 before, no issue with using the Ethernet port out of the main unit. Looks like there is a bug in the latest version.

I end up putting two deco units together, not ideal but to make the hardwired devices working via a ethernet port on a extender unit.

Thanks

Options
2021-10-17 00:46:09 - last edited 2021-10-17 14:29:23

Mehar wrote

I installed Deco M5 pack yesterday for the client. I found the second ethernet port on the main unit doesn't work. But the ethernet ports on two slave/extender units work without any issues. I tried swapping all three units as main unit, no luck.

@Mehar 

Have you tried running that Deco M5 pack in Access Point mode? Because, firmware will be the same, but all Router mode related configuration settings will be disabled. Would be interesting to know if in Access Point mode the problem still exists or not.

Options
2021-10-18 03:24:19

@Mehar 

Please also refer to this link to see if it helped:

Ethernet not working on deco?

Options
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet not working-Solution
2021-10-18 04:36:41 - last edited 2021-10-18 05:50:32

@TP-Link 

Many Thanks. Bang on. It was IP TV Setting. It is working fine now.

Case 1(the most common one): IPTV for Set-Top box
If you have subscribed to the IPTV service from the service provided, you might need to enable IPTV service for Deco, once it is enabled, the 2nd port of main Deco is for IPTV service only and no internet service is available anymore.

PS: Some models with firmware above 1.5.0 already support IPTV service on satellite Deco units, so please select other ports for IPTV service and spare the one from the main Deco. How to Configure IPTV function on Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4707

Replies: 9

Related Articles