Ethernet not working on deco?

2020-05-23 17:20:06 - last edited 2022-07-12 02:50:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there

I've just bought a 3 Deco M5s. I've installed all three.

One with the ethernet cable plugged into my router, one in my study downstairs, and one upstairs in my room.

All wifi is working fine, however, in the upstairs one, i've plugged an ethernet cable from the Deco into my ethernet switch, which in turn goes to my computer, but there is no connection at all. it says no internet..

how can i fix this?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ethernet not working on deco?-Solution
2021-10-13 06:23:49 - last edited 2022-06-21 09:46:39

[Troubleshooting]Ethernet not working on Deco, but Wi-Fi works.

Occasionally there is feedback that the Ethernet connection from the 2nd port of the main Deco did not work but the wireless connection did and there are some mis-configurations that might cause some problems. Please refer to the following link and check which one is yours.

Case 1(the most common one): IPTV for Set-Top box
If you have subscribed to the IPTV service from the service provider, you might need to enable IPTV service for Deco, once it is enabled, the 2nd port of main Deco is for IPTV service only and no internet service is available anymore.

PS: Some models with firmware above 1.5.0 already support IPTV service on satellite Deco units, so please select other ports for IPTV service and spare the one from the main Deco. How to Configure IPTV function on Deco?

Case 2: WAN/LAN auto-sensing. 
In this case, the issue is more like: when the internet service went down, LAN connected devices failed to obtain the IP address and wireless clients are not able to access the LAN devices connected directly to the main Deco. So it needs some trigger to activate this issue, such as the internet outage or a broken modem. For more details, please refer to this link:

[Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Case 3:
If there are no IPTV configuration and no internet outage, the Ethernet connection from the main Deco still did not have internet service, but wireless clients are working fine, Please refer to the following suggestions:
1. make sure you have changed the cable between the main Deco and the Ethernet device.
2. confirm there is no static IP on the device.

If you still have the problem, please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:
1. Would the Ethernet device work when connecting the Ethernet client to the Ethernet port of the satellite units?
2. What are the IP settings on the Ethernet client?

Recommended Solution
Options
42 Reply
Re:Ethernet not working on deco?
2020-05-26 12:06:19

@DanielSweet 

Hi, 

In your case, please connect a laptop to the upstairs Deco by an Ethernet cable directly, and turn off the Wi-Fi on the laptop, can you get internet access on the laptop? If yes, it means that the wired connection from the Deco is no problem.

Then you can connect the switch back to the upstairs Deco, and then connect the laptop to the switch by an Ethernet cable direct, and test if the switch is working.

If yes, you may need to check if your computer has configured some settings such as static IP thus it can't go to the internet properly.
If not, it may be the switch has an issue.

Options
2020-10-25 00:33:18

@DanielSweet Were you able to solve this issue? I am experiencing the same thing. Thanks.

Options
2021-02-21 10:20:16

@DanielSweet 
Same issue wifi working but Lan wire says good bye in occasions 

Options
2021-02-21 10:21:16

@TP-Link_Deco you need to research more on this and come with conclusive resolution it is widespread issue and reported in many forums 

Options
2021-06-06 11:01:07

@DanielSweet I have exactly the same issue

Options
2021-06-07 12:05:02

@Samsilv @BabyPanda 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Since many users echoed with the same issue but did not provide enough details, it was quite hard to finally locate the problem;

If possible, could you please refer to the following suggestions:

1. What are the model number as well as the firmware version? Was it also Deco M5 with firmware 5.3?
  2. Can I have a picture of the network topology, such as:
  3. When the Ethernet connection failed to get internet service, what was the IP address on these devices?--how to check the IP settings (https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/841/)--a picture of it would be highly appreciated;
  4. In case it was the cable& port issue, please try to switch the port and change a new cable;

After that, you could leave me a private message for notice;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-06-13 03:06:22
Hi all, I was having the same issue, after switching to deco amd also using some powered Ethernet switches around my house to give internet to wired devices/connections, all my wired connections did not receive internet signal. I realized that the Ethernet cable from my modem was going to the switch first and then via another cable to the Deco. I changed the Ethernet cable from my modem to go directly from modem into Deco. Then using the Deco’s 2nd Ethernet port, another cable to my first switch. That’s the way it should be. Now all my wired devices get a signal no problem.
Options
2021-06-14 16:49:38

@tplink 

I am having a similar issue.

I have TP-link deco E4 - AC1200 whole home mesh wi-fi system (2-pack)

I have them set up and they work well wirelessly. I recently ran an ethernet cable from my lounge (main Deco Unit) to the Deco unit in my bedroom to try create an ethernet backhaul, as soon as I plug it in my blue TP link light on the top of the unit goes red and I lose internet on all units.

I have tried through a switch and directly to the main deco and i have the same issue every time.

I have followed the config below with no success. 

Please help

Options
2021-07-31 00:39:46

@TP-Link hi I have the same issue my Linux is connected to my M5 via ethernet and even though its connected to the Internet but I cannot access it via another device I.e. I cannot ssh into it.

When I reboot the deco m5 which my Linux is connected to I would be able to gain access fine but then after a few hours it would be unaccessible again.

Can you please help? It's really annoying!

Options
2021-09-26 23:01:11

@TP-Link 

TP-Link wrote

@Samsilv @BabyPanda 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Since many users echoed with the same issue but did not provide enough details, it was quite hard to finally locate the problem;

1. What are the model number as well as the firmware version? Was it also Deco M5 with firmware 5.3?
  3. When the Ethernet connection failed to get internet service, what was the IP address on these devices?--how to check the IP settings (https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/841/)--a picture of it would be highly appreciated;
  4. In case it was the cable& port issue, please try to switch the port and change a new cable;

Thank you very much.

TP-Link wrote

@Samsilv @BabyPanda 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Thank you very much.

Hi There.

I'm having the same issue with the x 20.

I have purchased the three pack and my  main deco is in my office connected directly to the NBN box.

I am trying to get ethernet out to my IP cameras box but I have no internet connection.

Please advise.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 46762

Replies: 42

Related Articles