Deco M9 in AP-Mode assigning wrong IPs to network if DHCP-server is away

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-03 08:00:45
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

When using your Deco M9 Plus in Acces Point mode, it takes over giving out IPs...

If after a power-failure, (or reboot from the main router acting as a DHCP-Server), devices get back online, they get an IP assigned by the Deco M9 Plus, instead of waiting for the main DHCP server to come back up and letting him assign the IP's.

When the DHCP server then gets back online, all devices that got an IP by the Deco are unreachable, due to it being an IP in a network range/subnet that is inaccessible to the real DHCP server...

So if you (or your ISP) reset your modem/router that is handling the DHCP-requests and the Deco takes over (Hostile takeover), it means you subsequently have to try to reboot your Deco M9's too. Or on any networking hickup for that matter....

For now the Wifi reach is great but the networking experience is bad... especially for something that costs more than € 300,- !

This should really be fixed and is BAD behaviour!

If you need a way to give out an IP, you could trigger that with BT and the App instead of doing this anyway !

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M9 in AP-Mode assigning wrong IPs to network if DHCP-server is away
2019-05-05 02:16:04

Hi,

For your information, the DHCP server is disabled in AP mode, while if the connection drops out or the main router is powered off, the DHCP server on the Deco will turn on automatically temporarily so that you still can manage it with the Deco app; and it will be disabled once the main router back to work. 

Back to your case, cause the Deco take over the giving out IPs, it is suggested to power cycle it after the power failure or reboot the main router which acts as a DHCP server.

And we will remind our R&D colleagues, so that they can work on it and improve/complete this feature.

Sorry for the trouble caused here. 

Have a nice day. 

DLMax wrote

When using your Deco M9 Plus in Acces Point mode, it takes over giving out IPs...

If after a power-failure, (or reboot from the main router acting as a DHCP-Server), devices get back online, they get an IP assigned by the Deco M9 Plus, instead of waiting for the main DHCP server to come back up and letting him assign the IP's.

When the DHCP server then gets back online, all devices that got an IP by the Deco are unreachable, due to it being an IP in a network range/subnet that is inaccessible to the real DHCP server...

So if you (or your ISP) reset your modem/router that is handling the DHCP-requests and the Deco takes over (Hostile takeover), it means you subsequently have to try to reboot your Deco M9's too. Or on any networking hickup for that matter....

For now the Wifi reach is great but the networking experience is bad... especially for something that costs more than € 300,- !

This should really be fixed and is BAD behaviour!

If you need a way to give out an IP, you could trigger that with BT and the App instead of doing this anyway !

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 in AP-Mode assigning wrong IPs to network if DHCP-server is away
2019-09-09 23:29:45

Can we get the option added to the next release turn "Smart" DHCP on or off?

And if it's left on to allow the user to configure it, so it alligns with the routing network.

I looks like the M5s, at times, provide proxy arp which isn't needed in most fixed home networks.

Blessings, Martin
Options
2019-09-17 09:31:42

@Malchambar 

Thanks for your reply, we have noted that and will keep an eye on the similar feedback.

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-07 20:15:46

@Kevin_Z  Hi

Ive just come across this post after experiencing an issue with 'smart' dhcp today. 
So please can we just have an option to disable this in the settings. It's completely pointless in most scenarios- just give the option of a fixed IP for the deco units.  Although for now I would be happy just to disable this smart dhcp functionality. 

Thanks. 

Options
2020-09-02 16:56:25

Seconded and Third'd. I have NEVER had as many DHCP issues as I have with these. I have a 1200baud telephonic sitting around here somewhere that's both more reliable and offers better speed (gross; considering how frequently a get dropped). Please tell me your "R&D" guys have figured out how to add a button to the app? For gods sake, gimme repo access and I'LL do it.

Options
2022-02-10 15:22:44 - last edited 2022-02-10 15:23:37

I lost a couple of hours of productivity this morning while chasing down some strange network behavior. I suppose I'm lucky that I didn't encounter this issue during the time I've had the M9s because my entire network is on battery backup, but after some reconfiguration last night I found myself with strange network issues.

After poking around I realized I had a rogue DHCP server on my network - one of the Deco M9s. After reading through a couple of threads and realizing I couldn't even set a static IP address to try and disable this behavior, I started thinking about updating some firewall rules to block anything other than my main DHCP server. That's when I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't have to try and work around this - this is horrible, damaging out of the box behavior with no reasonable way to work around it. I can't even find reference to it in the user manual.

There is mention that this will be fixed in the 1.60 firmware - with no release date / ETA. It was mentioned in March of 2021 here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/155575?replyId=577980

It's now February of 2022. I have a pretty significant TP-Link ecosystem - managed switches, decos, smart electrical switches, outlets. I'm on the fence today as to whether I'm going to pack up my M9s and replace them with something else (and no longer recommend them to anyone).

TP-Link - your customers deserve some answers on when we'll be able to disable this behavior.

Options
2022-02-10 22:27:09
Following up to my last post - I was pretty upset at my M9s but it turns out that my anger was misplaced. Instead, it turns out that my housemate's new TL-SG108E was interfering with my network. I figured this out while I was repeatedly hitting my router's administration page (192.168.0.1) and out of nowhere was presented with the TP-Link switch web-ui login page. I was incredibly confused by this because my managed 16 port TP-Link switch has a different static IP assigned. That's when I suddenly realized that traffic destined for 192.168.0.1 was sometimes hitting my router, and sometimes hitting my housemate's switch. A bit of googling around and I learned that this particular model of switch ignores certain standards. I'm coming to the realization that if you want actually want control over your network and you don't want undocumented/buggy features creating problems that you'll spend hours tracking down, you probably shouldn't invest in TP-Link.
Options
2022-02-11 02:06:53

@Marcus_M 

Thank you very much for your message and please reach out to the PM for the beta firmware.

Options
2022-02-11 09:44:35 - last edited 2022-02-11 09:52:45

@TP-Link  I wonder how after so many complaints about this product, don't sit back and fix it or replace the routers of the affected users. The router is completely useless, stop selling it. 

@Kevin_Z Please stop answering, because you are giving only lies and false promises ;)

Edit: @TP-Link please stop writing "beta firmware". I know you are good with false advertisement, but you are sending DEBUG 1.5.6 firmware. This is not a beta firmware.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2977

Replies: 9