Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?

140 Reply
Re:Conflicting DHCP when Deco in AP mode ?
2021-03-11 01:19:37 - last edited 2021-03-11 01:19:55

@TP-Link_Deco when are you going to release the promised 1.6.0 firmware to fix this crap?

Options
2021-03-11 01:28:19

@atca 

Bin their junk and move on. I sold mine and got some ASUS devices (ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)), does exactly what they are supposed to in AP mode. I.e. nothing but wireless transit.

Options
2021-03-23 18:07:36
This "feature" has now killed my network several times! Sucks big time. Any new info regarding there will be a fix for this stupid, annoying, time consuming "feature" for the X60's?
Options
2021-03-23 18:21:11

@phobb 

This was raised on 2019-02-19, and 25 months in @tplink have done nothing at all. not even a toggle option to fully disable network services when in AP. They don't even acknowledge that this is an issue. No one wants or expects any form of network service when in AP mode, yet this is ignored by the vendor. The Deco range is junk, poor software, low volume of updates and so basic in terms of configuration options for the price.

This problem won't be fixed, it's over 2 years now and it is clear from a product perspective they don't see this as an issue. Sell your devices and go elsewhere. ASUS have some nice powerful mesh kit.

Options
[Feature Request] Smart DHCP on/off switch under access point mode-Solution
2021-03-24 03:00:22 - last edited 2023-08-03 03:01:46

Update:

[Feature Request] Smart DHCP on/off switch under access point mode

Solution:

Many models have added the option to turn on/off smart DHCP under AP mode and please refer to this link to make sure the Deco firmware is up to date.

Deco Firmware Updates Adding Signal Selection and VPN for Multiple Models

Deco M5 1.7.1

Deco M9 Plus 1.6.1

Some Background Introduction of How Smart DHCP Works on Deco:
With the built-in smart DHCP, Deco will send a DHCP server request when joining a network and check if it can receive the response from a DHCP server.  If there is a response, Deco will think there has been a DHCP server in the network already, then no need to enable its own DHCP server. Otherwise, there is no DHCP server detected in the network, then it will turn on its own DHCP server. 

The DHCP server request will be updated every 60s which means if the main router has not fully activated for the first 60s, once it is activated and could respond to the DHCP request, the DHCP server on the Deco will be automatically turned off.

Some users might complain why my Deco left its DHCP enabled for more than 1-2 hours. After further troubleshooting with more users, we find Deco uses “smart DHCP”, while the main routers have their own special DHCP settings, for example, “Assign IP address only when there is no DHCP server”, quite the same as Deco right? They will also search whether there is already a DHCP server or not. Now the main router detected Deco had enabled its DHCP firstly, so it quit, leaving all the clients no choice to continue getting IP from Deco.

[Successful cases]

An old switch  turned out to be the second DHCP server

The Apple capsule turned out to be the second DHCP server

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-24 05:31:47

@TP-Link 

It's over 2 years since this got reported and you're still telling people "engineers have been informed", yet nothing at all is made available. You don't even share an ETA for 1.60 or offer some beta firmware for people to actually test FOR YOU, and in the meantime get some potential relief from the mess this feature creates.

25 months for essentially nothing.

Options
2021-04-26 09:46:49

@GPGeek totally agree with all the posters here : I've had problems with M5 deco's several times in the last few weeks, each time them causing DHCP problems in AP mode and kicking my (Huawei) router off the 192.168.8.x range onto 192.168.9.x,  only solution being to disconnect the decos and reassign.  Shocking that such a simple, core, function should be wrong for so long and that denial and failure to address be the response.  These are going back and another warning not to trust cheap tp-link gear.  Over the years I've phased out over TP-Link AP point hardware - guess it's my fault for getting bitten by this again.

Options
2021-04-26 14:25:05

winter98 wrote

I've had problems with M5 deco's several times in the last few weeks, each time them causing DHCP problems in AP mode and kicking my (Huawei) router off the 192.168.8.x range onto 192.168.9.x,  only solution being to disconnect the decos and reassign.  

@winter98 

Are you sure it is not different issue? In all my tests when ISP router was off but Deco stayed on, Deco mesh keeps assigning IP addresses in same IP range ISP router did. 

My home network runs on 192.168.0.* range, ISP router is 192.168.0.1, Main Deco is 192.168.0.131, when I power off ISP router and reboot desktop, this is what desktop gets:

Options
2021-04-26 14:37:36

@Alexandre. thanks for responding - yes.  Each time this happens I have to disconnect the decos from the network for the router to return to the 192.168.8.x range - otherwise it goes onto 192.168.9.x and if I attempt to force DHCP to the 8 range it refuses.

The weird thing is that if i use fing to scan the network none of the deco's seem to have taken the 192.168.8.1 address - but they do seem to block the router / force it to go to another range.  Turning them off / disconnecting the ethernet cable and restarting the router does work each time.

Options
2021-04-26 15:18:23 - last edited 2021-04-26 15:37:00

@winter98 

I see. So it is ISP router that moves to different IP range, not Deco mesh.

Check your router settings - perhaps, it sees different DHCP server (Deco) and moves to another IP range to avoid conflict. If it does, there might be a configuration setting in a router to prevent that from happening.

Options