Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-22 17:00:40 - last edited 2019-09-01 05:02:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I am a new Deco M5 owner.  I am unable to get my Vizio TV to connect to my Deco M5 wifi.  I can connect all my computers, phones, tablets, webcams, etc.  just not this TV.  I can connect with an ethernet cable.  The TV does (did) connect to my old wifi routers, a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and Asus N66U.

Anyone else able to get their Vizio TV to connect to thier Deco?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi-Solution
2019-08-31 15:56:06 - last edited 2019-09-01 05:02:16

I am having this same issue. The WiFi name shows up on my Vizio TV but does have some odd characters in the spacing (WiFi name is “Cooper’s WiFi” but shows in Vizio TV as “Cooper\xe2\x80\x99s WiFi”). Nevertheless, I enter the password and it tries for a bit but ultimately results in “Unable to connect to Cooper\xe2\x80\x99s WiFi” with options for Try Another or Try Again.

One workaround is if I activate the nearest Deco to WPS via the app and then press WPS on the Vizio TV, it connects quickly and works great. However, it seems once I turn off the tv and come back, it’s disconnected and I have to reconnect (again doesn’t work unless I do WPS route).

Any ideas? Appreciate the help!

Edit: After posting, I changed the WiFi’s name to just “CooperWiFi”, removing the space and the apostrophe. I then waited a few minutes for updates to take effect and then tried connecting again with my Vizio TV, not using WPS. This time, it worked and even connects after turning the TV off and back on. I hope this post is helpful for the OP and others in the future!

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi
2019-05-23 01:36:34

Hi,

Can you detect the Deco's wifi on the Vizio TV? Is there any error message if  you failed to connect to the wifi? 

Below are some suggestions you can give it a shot.
1. Please set QoS as standard. Open Deco app, go to more-Qos.
2. Please clear all high priority. In QoS page you can see device priority, click high priority and then you can clear them.

3. Disable fast roaming and check whether you can connect to it.

4. Turn off 5GHz, and enable 2.4GHz only.

Any updates, just let us know.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi-Solution
2019-08-31 15:56:06 - last edited 2019-09-01 05:02:16

I am having this same issue. The WiFi name shows up on my Vizio TV but does have some odd characters in the spacing (WiFi name is “Cooper’s WiFi” but shows in Vizio TV as “Cooper\xe2\x80\x99s WiFi”). Nevertheless, I enter the password and it tries for a bit but ultimately results in “Unable to connect to Cooper\xe2\x80\x99s WiFi” with options for Try Another or Try Again.

One workaround is if I activate the nearest Deco to WPS via the app and then press WPS on the Vizio TV, it connects quickly and works great. However, it seems once I turn off the tv and come back, it’s disconnected and I have to reconnect (again doesn’t work unless I do WPS route).

Any ideas? Appreciate the help!

Edit: After posting, I changed the WiFi’s name to just “CooperWiFi”, removing the space and the apostrophe. I then waited a few minutes for updates to take effect and then tried connecting again with my Vizio TV, not using WPS. This time, it worked and even connects after turning the TV off and back on. I hope this post is helpful for the OP and others in the future!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi
2019-09-01 05:01:55

@JPenedo 

Thanks for your valued reply, glad to hear that you got it fixed. Congrats.

It will help a lot, thanks for your sharing again.

And if need more help, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Options
Re:Re:Vizio TV can't connect to Deco M5 wifi
2020-10-21 11:42:58

I had the identical problem in that I was unable to wirelessly connect my TiVo DVR to the network; it was detected with the additional nonsense characters inserted as described by Mr Cooper. I didn't think of renaming my network. TiVo tech support told me it was a Deco issue and that I had to open ports (port forwarding) which I tried to no avail using the Deco App. Finally, I used the 3rd deco unit (my M5 was a 3 unit package) installed close to the TiVo and connected them with an ethernet cable. I now have good WiFi throughout the 2200 sq ft one-story house, and the TiVo is connected but not wireless. Since an ethernet connection is actually better, I consider the tp-link M5 a big success. There was no problem connecting our other devices--iphones, ipads, imac, thermostats. This is a brand-new installation in October 2020 so I can't comment on durability, but I can say installation, setup, and performance are all I could have asked for. Purchasers should be aware that there's a more complete user manual pdf available on manufaturer's website, and I would advise anyone contemplating purchase of a mesh network to make sure all units have ethernet ports available.

Options
2020-11-29 22:56:16

@RSF 

Having the same exact problem.  Brand new Vizio 32" Smart TV.  Sees the Deco Wifi network.  Can't connect.  Have numerous other devices connected with now problem.  Unbelievable in 2020...

Options
2020-11-30 05:59:07

@mrb1090 

Hi

Would there be any error message when the TV failed to connect the Deco?

Have you tried to turn off the fast roaming, beam forming on the Deco APP to have a look

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-07-06 21:08:34

@mrb1090 Same problem with my Vizio won't connect and I have tired everything and ended up having to direct wire to one of my pods.  TV is about 2 years old and I agree very frustrating that it won't connect wirelessly.  I am hopefull tp-link can fix this with a firmware update.  

Options
2021-07-07 07:22:10

@A1Scorpio 

Hi, since there is no further update from the previous users, could you please help me check the following information:

1. have you tried the suggestion to turn off the fast roaming?

2. when you said the TV failed to connect the Wi-Fi of Deco, were you still able to detect the wireless network?

3. would there be any error message when you failed to connect?

4. was Vizio TV the only device with this issue?

Options
2021-07-07 20:21:05 - last edited 2021-07-07 20:27:15

@TP-Link 

In my case the WiFi connection to my Vizio TV is now working with my Deco M5.  I only discovered this when I had to disconnect the ethernet cable and the TV continued to play a streaming channel.  I didn't change any settings so I think an automatic update on the Deco or Vizio fixed it.

Anyway, I find that on this older Vizio, the streaming apps are sluggish so I only use a new Fire Stick with this TV.  No problems getting the Fire Stick working with the Deco.

And for your questions:

1. Fast roaming was always on, never tried it since I could use ethernet.

2. The TV was always able to detect the WiFi network.

3. No error messages. I could connect to the WiFi network but no data would be transferred.

4. The Vizio was my only device that had this problem.

Options
2021-07-08 01:36:35

@RSF 

Thank you very much for your kind feedback and it is very helpful.

Let us wait and see what other customers’ feedback in case of any further issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4643

Replies: 10