Why are TP-Link still selling this rubbish?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-16 19:08:56 - last edited 2019-06-17 03:45:46
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:0.3.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 170809 Rel.42095n

I thought I was buying one of the best Modem Routers on the market, but it turns out after reading this and other forums that it is a heap of junk that simply does not work.

Firstly I will qualify this statement by saying I have two other modem routers and one other router all of which work perfectly so there is absolutely no issues with my broadband connection or connected devices, The modem routers I use as range extenders and the other router for outdoors use and they are both TP-Link. However the third is a BT Homehub (5) which I am replacing with the VR2800 because of the limitations of the Home Hub. I should also say that I have alwaws been able to receive 2.4 and 5GHz wifie on my iPhone and other devices. In fact I can still connect to both the other wired mrouter and modem router. However this is not a solution as the router is an outdoor directional device and it points away from my house to a weather station. The modem router runs a seperate network within the house and therefore, for example, I cannot print to my primary network printer if connected to this secon modem router.

The issues I have and which are well documented here by others are:

Wifi on 2.4GHz on principle and guests networks keep dropping out randomly although the status still shows them as both working with no reported errors.

The 5.0GHz networks both principle and guest cannot be connected to because it keeps displaying a message that the password is incorrect. WHEN IT IS NOT

Wired connections work well and I even get better dowload and upload speeds than I did with the BT Home Hub.

I have tried every suggestion here and on other forums, but nothing works, other than constantly rebooting the VR2800

My questions are: Why do TP-Link keep selling this rubbish modem router? What a waste of money. Can I get a refund?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Why are TP-Link still selling this rubbish?
2019-06-17 03:45:38 - last edited 2019-06-17 03:45:46

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused here, we can do some troubleshooting and try to fix it; Meanwhile, as a manufacturer, we are not able to offer a refund, while if the device does not faulty, we can arrange a replacement.

First, please show us the current network topology, how do you connect these devices together.

What is the operation mode of the VR2800? Is it the access point mode or the regular DSL modem router mode?

How often it loses wireless connection? At that time, can you see the wireless network name? Or is it still connected but no internet access? 

Can you login to the web interface of the VR2800 at that time? Please take a picture of the status page and send it to us. 

Meanwhile, below is an instruction you can refer to:

https://www.tp-link.com/faq-2238.html

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-17 19:07:51

Thank you for responding and taking your points in order as you write them.

Firstly, how I connect the other routers is irrelevant, for two reasons. Firstly if I disconnect all network cables except for one to a PC the problem still exists and secondly I do not have any issues with any wired devices (except the network printer – It take over two minutes to start printing from any connected PC, but instantly from any wifi connected device!).

The operation mode of the VR2800 is as DSL modem router.

The wifi internet connection dropout is completely random and it can run for two minutes, two hours or more, but on average I am restarting the VR2800 at least six times every 24 hours. Restarting is the only way to bring the wifi internet connection back on.

When the wifi internet connection drops out I can still connect to the 2.4GHz main and guest networks, but with no internet access. For example, I can print, access the VR2800 web interface as well as other connected devices over wifi, but I cannot access the internet over wifi. During the time of ‘wifi outage’ I can still access the internet from wired PC’s, just not over wifi.

When I have a wifi internet outage I can still see and access the the 2.4GHz channels, just no internet connection. It is connected, but no internet access.

However, The 5.0GHz channels can be seen and not connected to at any time. There is a message that states Incorrect password. IT IS NOT INCORRECT. I have tried changing the password several times, but still no connection. This happens with the main and guest networks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the wifi connection equipment (mobile phones and tablets) because all of them can connect to two other TP-Link Routers broadcasting the internet on a 5.0GHz band and all have speeds as expected for that frequency.

I can log into the VR2800 web interface when there is a wifi internet outage using both wired and wifi connected devices.

File:
IMG_6745.PNGDownload
Options
Re:VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-17 19:08:30

Screenshot 2

File:
IMG_6810.PNGDownload
Options
2019-06-17 19:09:04

Screenshot 3

File:
IMG_6812.PNGDownload
Options
2019-06-17 19:09:40

Screenshot 4

File:
Screenshot 2019-06-17 18.39.47.pngDownload
Options
2019-06-17 19:09:59

Screenshot 5

File:
Screenshot 2019-06-17 18.40.29.pngDownload
Options
Re:Re:VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-19 03:08:22

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply; 

May I know how far away between the VR2800 and your wireless devices? With move closer to the router, do you have the same issue? 

Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings to give it a go? Like wireless channel and channel width. 

Besides, when did you buy this Archer VR2800 and where? 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-19 22:09:18

Hi and thank you for responding,

The relationship between the router and any mobile device does not make any difference to the issue. I can place one iPhone on top of the router and another 20 meters away and it make absolutely no difference.

I have tried every available channel from Auto to 13 and the channel widths including Auto 20MHz and 40MHz and again the problem still exists.

I bought the Archer VR2800 from Amazon on the 3rd of May this year, it arrived on the 8th of May, but I did not set it up until the beginning of June. I have also had my offices IT consultant look at it and he cannot sort the problem either.

It is very disappointing as I have several other TP-Link products and they work very well. I will also explain that I run a very sophisticated weather station with many wired and wireless devices. Most of my data is fired upline to many different local, national and international organisations and therefore it is vital that I have a system that works 24 hours, 7 days a week for 360 days a year without any down time. It took a lot of planning to switch over to this modem/router and I cannot afford to do another switch over so soon.

To sort my problem, which has cost me more money I bought, from Amazon the Archer C9 and this arrived yesterday. I attached it to the VR2800 by network cable and set it up in Access Point Mode. I was able to connect instantly all wireless devices (10) to 2.4 and 5MHz wireless networks on both the main and guest SSID’s. This has now been running at the expected speeds for over 24 hours without any dropouts or faults. This is further evidence that the VR2800 has an inherent fault.

As soon as the opportunity arises, and I have the time to waste I am going to transfer all my settings from the VR2800 to the C9 and then through the VR2800 where it belongs in the bin. As mentioned right at the start of my posts this and other forums are full of people reporting the same issue and therefore should this product actually be on the market or should TP-Link not be developing a fix?

Very disapointed

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-19 22:10:06
Happy to forward Amazon receipts.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:VR2800 wifi problems
2019-06-24 03:03:53

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply and we are sorry for the trouble cause there. 

If possible, would you please login to the web interface via ethernet connection when the wifi connection drops out and save the log to export to us? 

Note: Login to the web UI, go to advanced-system tools-system log- save log and export to us.

And then our engineer can do further analysis; if it canot be solved, we would love to offer a replacement as the warranty. 

Thanks in advance, have a nice day. 

Options