Votes

Setup Static Route for Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Setup Static Route for Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
51 Reply
Re:Setup Static Route for Deco
2022-12-20 06:17:02

This discussion thread has been very enlightening, it very clearly illustrates that while the support staff responding online here are well intentioned, theyre also so obviously disconnected from the product engineers and management mechanisms to make meaningful change or pass on valuable, easily actioned feedback. 

this "static route" feature isnt even a feature y'all. Everyone one here should be peeved right off and feel duped. I am a senior systems architect as well as a network engineer. I've worked for IBM and Microsoft as my first 2 jobs in my career and have going on 20 years of experience in this industry.  Let me tell you why this is a rip off and you're all being duped. These deco devices, like pretty much every network device out there, especially ones that do routing/firewalling are all essentially Arm or mips based SBCs (single board computers) running Linux under the hood. They're not much different then a raspberry pi except that a PI could blow these puny pieces of trash out the water in performance and PIs are cheaper to buy as well . switches are a little different story then routers/firewalls/wireless access points, but many do run Linux under the hood, atleast for the management interface or if the switch is a web/smart or managed layer 3 switch it will almost certainly be running Linux under the hood to use its universally proven and secure TCP/IP stack. That stack has has IP routing capabilities since it's very first revision.  The ability to define a static route DOES exist  within them.  Another part of the stack these devices uses is the TCP and IP protocol's to provide the user a managment interface. Usually over HTTP/HTTPS but sometimes over a text based Telnet/ssh session. All thst it woukd take in the most frequently used scenario of an HTTP admin interface, is to create a new file containing HTML and possibly CGI-BIN link or using PHP/python/Perl. It would simply need to have a few lines of copy to output to a new admin page dedicated to static routing, or add a small addition onto another admin interface page. In its most simplest form, it would  need to include code similar to:

<html>
<body>

<h1 style="background-color:DodgerBlue;">Static Routes</h1>
<h2 style="color:Tomato;">Existing Static Routes: </h2>
<body> %STATICROUTES% </body>

<h2 style="color:tomato;">New IP Static Route</h2>
<h4> Please enter a new static route in the proper format:</h4>

</body>
<body>

<form action="/action_page.php">
  <label for="fname">IP Route Destination w/prefix:</label>
  <input type="text" id="iproute" name="iproute" value="ex: 10.10.10.0/24"> 
 &nbsp 
  <label for="lname">IP Next Hop (gateway):</label>
  <input type="text" id="gateway" name="gateway" value="ex: 172.16.69.2">
&nbsp
  <input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form> 

<p>Clicking Submit will apply this new static route to the routing table immediately.</p>

</body>
</html>

where the scripting engine would make a native IP API call to get the current static routing table and return it in text format to the string variable mentioned above %STATICROUTES%.

the default gateway specified on the wan interface of these devices is actually a form of static route. The route is: 0.0.0.0/0  gw 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.123

Where 10.0.0.123 is the WAN ip assigned by the ISP and 10.0.0.1 is the ISPs router or the same ip entered in the Default Gateway field of the WAN interface. 

So in conclusion, here is almost all the necessary code but a few lines to create a new Static route interface page or could be pasted into an existing interface page. The functionality of it is already built into the Linux OS so we are really just being denied access to one of the oldest, most core fundamental parts of the IP protocol that is built into every single Linux based device, without exception. 

TP Link... time to do better. Ive already replaced my Decos at my house with Ubiquity and my office with Mikrotik .  Y'all should follow suite to . Mikrotik is probably the most innovative, affordable network hardware company ive seen in my 20 year of experience. I highly recommmend them!

Options
Re:Setup Static Route for Deco
2022-12-29 20:25:26

@PilotRyan Thanks for your post. This "static route" request is a ridiculous feature that ANY OTHER router has, and as  you said, it's pretty easy to implement. Last month Deco's App has received a new update with a (useless) complete interface redesign but still lacking "static route" feature. It looks that TP-Link doesn't care about its customers. Now it's time to move away from TP-Link and look for other vendors.

Thanks

Ivan

Options
Re:Setup Static Route for Deco M5
2022-12-30 20:43:04

The inability to setup static routes is very limiting. I need to access my Starlink UI and can not due to the lack of static route support. Please, please fix this Deco.

Options
RE:Setup Static Route for Deco M5
2022-12-30 20:43:38
Support static routing on the Deco M5 mesh
Options
RE:Setup Static Route for Deco M5-Solution
2023-01-03 10:16:51 - last edited 2023-06-01 01:21:22

@snackpack 

Update:

Deco M5 with the latest firmware 1.7.0 has supported this feature already.

And Deco X50/Deco X55 V1, Deco X60 V3, and Deco XE75 v1 also support this feature. 

More models will support this feature later and please pay attention to the firmware release note on the official websites.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-03 10:51:30

@David-TP WIFI 6 does not offer enough benefit vs. the cost for average home use. WIFI 7 looks more interesting, but it is still in the early phases of deployment. I don't see an upgrade in my immediate future. Hopefully tp-link can add static routing to the older Deco mesh as well since it is still a very nice product.

Options
Re:Setup Static Route for Deco M5
2023-01-22 21:50:56

+1

I eagerly await this feature for my XE75 mesh...

Options
2023-02-03 05:46:26
I need this to fully access my Starlink features. Perhaps i will have to return the Deco units I just bought. That's a shame and a waste of my time. This is basic stuff; why on earth isn't this option available.
Options
2023-02-03 05:52:53
I just read the last few posts before mine, and they confirm my suspicion that this is basic stuff that should already be in the UI. TP-Link, please let me know if X20 will support this in the near future. I can wait a little while, but if it isnt coming, just tell me now please.
Options
2023-02-17 16:36:29

@Matrim I hope that X20 will get static route this year, otherwise it's electronic waste.

Options

Voters 13

+ 9 Voters

Tags

Static Route