Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-25 17:25:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The latest firmware update for the Deco M4 and M5 allows you to click on your network's nodes and see which clients are connected. In this screen, there's a toggle labeled "mesh" for each client.

Does anyone know what this does exactly? Are there any benefits to disabling "mesh" for a client? Is it recommended for clients connected through ethernet?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-26 02:50:22

@roytanck 

With mesh toggled off, the Dceo won't recommend you to roam between the Deco networks, while it won't affect the activity of the client device itself. 

Meanwhile, compared to wireless connection, the stability and performance of the wired connection will be better. 

Options
Re:Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-26 11:49:30

Thank you. I realize that a wired connection is always going ro be faster and more stable.

For what type of client would you recommend disabling "mesh"? And what benefits would that get me?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-27 07:57:20
I tend to do it on devices that won't move around, like cameras and fixed TV's for example. I have also marked my Sonos speaker as such, which stops my teenager taking it to his bedroom (which is served by another hub - he can buy his own if he wants one!)
Options
Re:Re:Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-29 02:01:47

@roytanck 

Per Iconic said, devices that won't move around, like cameras and fixed TV's or the devices need to connect to some single band only, like some smart home devices. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-29 10:38:16
I'm not sure that really answers the question.  Is there an actual advantage in disabling mesh when its not needed? Surely leaving it on offers some sort of resilience should one deco go down for any reason?
Options
Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-30 10:43:41 - last edited 2019-07-30 10:44:09

I am interested in this too.

I can see that where a device is wired or does not move around, and while all Deco nodes are operating correctly, having Mesh turned on does not achieve anything.  The device is not going to roam between Deco nodes.

But what is the advantage of turning Mesh off for that device?  Why would I consider turning it off for devices that are wired or do not move around, rather than leaving it on and accepting that it's not really doing anything?

Craig

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Advantages of disabling "mesh" per client?
2019-07-31 08:04:21

@Dagster 

The toggle to turn on/off the mesh technology applies to each device; the advantage to turn it off for some specifi device is to make it not roam among different networks. So it can keep connecting to a certain network to get internet. 

May it help. Nice day. 

Options
2020-11-16 01:11:00 - last edited 2020-11-16 04:22:16

@Kevin_Z 

My phone keeps connecting to the satellite node downstairs even when I'm on the floor with the main node. I toggled my device wifi to force it to connect to main node, it will switch back to the node downstairs after a short while. I have disabled mesh for this device. It's going to be inconvenient having to manually reconnect when I move between floors. When it connects to the node on a different floor the speed test is 1/3 or 1/4 compared to connecting to nearest node

Options
2020-11-16 01:31:17

@Mcwong644 

Good day,

Thanks for your feedback.

Is your model number Deco M4?

May I know the model number and operating system of your smartphone?

Except the smartphone, how about other mobile devices and would they have the same issue as well?

Comparing the connection from the main router, or the satellite node, what would be the big difference on the smartphone, such as faster speed, stronger signal, or much reliable connectivity?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-17 08:19:07

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@Mcwong644 

Good day,

Thanks for your feedback.

Is your model number Deco M4?

May I know the model number and operating system of your smartphone?

Except the smartphone, how about other mobile devices and would they have the same issue as well?

Comparing the connection from the main router, or the satellite node, what would be the big difference on the smartphone, such as faster speed, stronger signal, or much reliable connectivity?

Thank you very much.

It's Samsung A50, even my Huawei Nova2i is also the same. My android box T9 always connects to the main unit upstairs and not the nearest satellite downstairs. I disabled mesh and manually reconnect the wifi each time and it will connect to nearest node. It's updated to latest firmware too. Not a major problem because I get better stability & speed using the mesh system.

I just added Powerline adapters TL-PA8010P KIT as Ethernet backhaul for my Deco M4 (satellite to main unit) and doubled the wifi speed from the satellite node. Just in case anyone wants to do it, I can say it's very effective. I have 3 phase power supply on the same DB box and was concerned it won't work or the speed may be even slower (because it's 3-phase).Anyway it exceeded my expectations as connnections to both units achieve the same speed!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15460

Replies: 11

Related Articles