Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-23 08:08:06 - last edited 2020-09-21 10:13:36
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Hi picked up a 2 pack of Deco M5s to replace a faulty C3150 on Monday,

I have noticed that the 5GHz WiFi pernamently locked to channel 36.

I understand there is no setting for this, but here is the problem.

There are 3 other networks also running on channel 36 around me and i know to set my routers to channel 100 or 149 to get lower wifi latency and much better speed.

Even after resetting and rebooting the decos multiple times and placing 2 other routers right next to the unit that were locked the channel 36, simply will not budge.

Any help? i think it mght be time to introduce 5Ghz channel selection on the Decos...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36-Solution
2020-09-21 10:13:32 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:17:08

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36
2019-08-26 06:50:24

@add1n1 

Thanks for your requesting, and sorry for the inconvenience caused here. 

The feature to fix the channel manually is not released yet, while we have noted that and reminded related department. 

They will work on it even though we cannot guarantee the release date of the specific feature. You can keep an eye on official website for more updates. 

Besides, for the channel/speed issue, does it affect the actual performance? You can try to relocate the Deco, swap the locations of the Deco units or update the firmware to give it a go first. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36
2019-08-29 10:46:26

Hi Kevin,

firmware is updated to the latest.

yes performance is affected, i seem to only be getting 120mbit lan to wifi file copy, dropping down quickly to 80mbit in the next room, then 50mbit just outside

vs the C3150 (on channel 149) which was around 700mbit at close range.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36
2019-08-30 08:23:07

@add1n1 

Thanks for your reply, sorry to tell you that there is no option available to fix the channel yet, while we can do some troubleshooting regarding to the speed issue. 

1. What is the current network topology/layout? And may I know who is your internet service provider? And what's the bandwidth  you pay for them?

2. With your device connected to modem and main Deco by wired cable directly, what is the actual speed you can get separately? And please click here to check the wired negotiation speed.
Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet connection.    

3. Besides, please try to run a speed test via the Deco app and show us the results. 

4. With your computer or cellphone connected to the slave Deco only, please run the speed test for 3 times and show us the test results; Furthermore, please connect your computer to the slave Deco by ethernet cable to verify the wired speed.

5. Please connect your smart phone to the Deco's wiif and login to the deco app; click the settings button and then choose advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type and uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and click save.

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it work.

Have a great day.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36
2019-08-31 02:39:39

Hi kevin,

Im testing the wifi speed only - nothing to do with my internet connection 100/40 NBN

The topology is: fibre ntd -> main router (in middle of the house,with wifi off) --> (two lan cables) -> deco in front room / deco in back room

deco app confirms the decos are running over ethernet backhual in AP mode

previously replacing a a C3150 as the AP in the backroom - to provide more coverage to the shed/garden out the back

Options
2019-08-31 11:46:19 - last edited 2019-08-31 13:11:10

What wifi app do you use? wifi analyzer show that my Deco M5 5GHz using C.44; 2.4GHz using C.5.

Options
2019-08-31 12:07:42 - last edited 2019-08-31 12:08:39

Deco M9 Plus:WiFi Analyser shows 2.4 GHz on Channel 2;5 GHz on channels 44 and 161...

Options
Re:Deco stuck on 5GHz Channel 36-Solution
2020-09-21 10:13:32 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:17:08

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-30 17:31:59

@add1n1  I just purchased the AC1300(M5) and I am have the same problem. ALL of my neighbors and I are on the same channel.  I went from a netgear nighthawk that i was able to change channels for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I was getting speeds of 240 mbps on my old nighthawk, now with the deco m5 i am right around 120 mbps.  I know both speeds are ok but if im paying for 250 mbps then i should be able to come close.  I feel that if i could change the channel I could get to that speed.  Have you had any luck?

Options
2020-11-30 20:59:30

@Dave912 

My Deco mesh, which is M9 and M5, do change channels. It is currently on channel 48 for 5GHz and channel 4 for 2.4GHz. I do not have many 5GHz networks reaching my house, but out of five strongest 2.4GHz networks from my neighbours all but one are channel 6.

It may be easier for my Decos to pick a channel, because of little congestion. Also, I am getting 300Mbit on my smartphone when it is connected to M5 Satellite Deco.

Two things:

1) consider disabling 2.4GHz band in Deco WiFi, at least to run speedtest. I noticed my Decos provide less than impressive speed results when device is on 2.4GHz, while doing very well with 5GHz network;

2) Is your M5 on latest firmware 1.5.1? I am reading on this forum and in firmware release notes they've added "Network Optimization feature" which appears to be an improved automatic selection of WiFi channel.

Options
2022-01-13 19:53:51

@Alexandre. The network optimisation has zero effect on 5Ghz side of things AFAICT 

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 6571

Replies: 11

Related Articles