Linking an old Archer D7 to a superfast fibre connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 18:22:07 - last edited 2019-09-04 03:32:04

I have been happily using an "old" Archer D7 on my copper broadband for 2 years now. I only had 2Mb speed at best but the wifi coverage and stability of the Archer D7 were good in our cottage.

Recently, fibre (fttp) was laid, and on Thursday last we were connected. The modem/router provided by the company has very poor wifi. The company have agreed to turn their "box" into bridge mode and the I can use the Archer D7 as my router and wifi source. However, I am having great difficulty in setting up the Archer D7 to access the internet. The fibre" box goes from port 1 (decided by the ISP) to the Wan port (port 4) on the router . When I access the Archer D7 software and try to set it up with Dynamic IP, the auto DSL set up will not work and I have to use the manual setup.The ISP does not know what VPI and VCI settings are. Help. What am I doing wrong?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Linking an old Archer D7 to a superfast fibre connection
2019-09-04 03:40:58

@1236ken 

You need change the operation mode to wireless router mode first.

Below is the instruction to set it up as the regular wireless router you can give it a go.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/543/

Any updates, please let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Linking an old Archer D7 to a superfast fibre connection
2019-09-04 10:04:19

Hi Kevin_Z,

Yes I thought that too but when I did that it still did not work and when I got hold of the ISP tech people they said that they had convert6ed their router modem to bridge mode and that it only acted as a gateway/converter and therefore my modem router should remain set up as a router modem. 

I am back with them with a booked call at 11.30am today to try and resolve the problem.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Linking an old Archer D7 to a superfast fibre connection
2019-09-04 17:19:19
Latest: I spoke with Gigaclear Tech support and they tried to explain what they had done. Because of the optic decoding I cannot swop out the router. However their router can be bypassed by it being put into Bridge mode. (They do this and also you lose the wifi part on their router). You then connect the No.1 port on their router with the Wan port on the TPLink. The WAN IP address should be given to the TPLink router via this cable. The TPLink router modem remains as a router modem with wifi but must run under Dynamic IP. Did all this to no avail. Could not get the TPLink Archer D7 to allow internet access. Don't know why. Thinking of buying a VR2800 as a replacement. Any thoughts from anyone gratefully received.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1790

Replies: 3