[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-05 07:54:32 - last edited 2022-07-25 06:24:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all;

I need to individualy control WIFI togglinmg per deco unit.

I have 3 units @ home. in one of the rooms only (my bedroom), I would like to disable the unit's wifi. all my units are using backhaul to talk to each other.

I still want my bedroom unit to have an operating ethernet port (as I have another network device connect to the unit's ethernet) but I would like to be able to shut its wifi down (not all units wifi) .

is this in the pipeline? can it be added?

thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)-Solution
2021-09-07 08:47:41 - last edited 2021-09-14 07:06:24

@flavaflav 

Hi, Thanks for the attention.

This feature request has not been accepted yet.

May I know why you need this feature to individually turn on/off a specific unit?

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)
2019-09-06 01:49:16

@gkatz 

The Deco mesh wifi system uses the same SSID and password, no option to toggle one unit's wifi on/off yet. 

While per we mentioned before, we have reminded our R*D colleague the feature to turn on/off wireless at certain time period.

Besides, what do you mean operating ethernet port? Each Deco has 2 ethernet ports; except plugged into the modem, you can connect other wired devices to the spare one.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)
2019-09-08 11:27:33 - last edited 2019-09-08 11:34:42

Hi @Kevin_Z

Let me explain with the help of the image below.  if I have 3 deco units, with the same topology as in the image and I use ethernet backhaul to connect all decos.

I want to be able to turn off wireless radio on deco A while the other 2 (B and C) will still continue to operate and cover the area they can cover wirelessly.  

now, I do still want to be able to connect an ethernet cable to the second port of deco A (whos wifi I turned off) and get network access from it (as it is still connected to C via switch)

is this more clear? 

basically what I am asking for is the ability to turn off an individual's unit wifi (toggle). this is a needed feature many people are asking in different ways but it comes down to this ability.

I would apprciate your comment.

Options
Re:Re:Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)
2019-09-09 08:07:21

@gkatz 

Thanks for your clarification. I got your points.

First, the toggle to turn on/off the wifi function on each Deco is not available yet, we have gathered some similiar feedback and reminded our R&D team already; 

Second, there are 2 ethernet ports on each Deco, you can connect your wired device to them to get internet with ethernet cable. Both ethernet ports are available to get internet. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)
2019-09-09 08:22:57

thanks @Kevin_Z 

my first point was the main one that I hope will make its way to the next firmware.

like I said, many people here requested this. there are nomerous similar posts in this forum, sometimes phrased differently, but all point to the need to toggle on/off each deco individually.

thanks!

Options
2019-09-11 05:35:47

@gkatz 

Thanks for your clarification, we have reminded our R&D colleague regarding to this request.

I believe they will work on it and evaluate the feasibility to add it. 

For now, wish your kindly waiting.

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-11 10:00:01
My DIY disable wifi on a single unit only: Plug a tp link kasa smart plug (it other brand) connect to deco unit to the smart plug. Use smart plug to turn on/off a single deco unit. This is sub optimal of course because I shut down the whole deco instead of just it's wifi but it's as close as I can get to achieve what I need until this is rolled out...
Options
2019-10-12 09:04:20

@gkatz 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you can turn on/off the smart plug to control the Deco, threfore you can turn on/off the wifi indirectly. 

For the feature to disable wifi function has been passed to our engineer and they work on it. 

Good day. 

Options
2021-09-07 01:25:39
@Kevin_Z - hello, it has been 2 years. Is there an update on this important feature? Your R&D colleagues must have gotten distracted :)
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:[feature] controlling individual unit wifi (toggle on/off per unit)-Solution
2021-09-07 08:47:41 - last edited 2021-09-14 07:06:24

@flavaflav 

Hi, Thanks for the attention.

This feature request has not been accepted yet.

May I know why you need this feature to individually turn on/off a specific unit?

Recommended Solution
Options