Activation of SMB v2 on TD-W9970

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-16 08:58:37 - last edited 2019-09-18 09:31:25
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.1.0_0.9.1_up_boot(160912)_2016-09-12_14.43.34

Hi all,

I bought the the device TD-W9970 and i would like to use also it to share in my home-network the files of a usb storage attached to it.

In my house e have to laptop: one with Windows 8 and one with Windows 10. The client that uses Windows 8 can access to the volume shared by the router TD-W9970, but the other client cannot access to the volume because the router uses the protocol SMB v1, which isn't supported by Windows 10.

I would like to know if there is a firmware version to update the version of SMB used by the router, for example the SMB v2.

Thank you for the support.

Regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Activation of SMB v2 on TD-W9970-Solution
2019-09-17 02:56:13 - last edited 2019-09-18 09:31:25

@Ivano 

For your information, the TD-W9970 does not support SMB v2 yet. While this feature will be added in the near future. 

Here is the solution for your to access the USB devices connect on our router.

a)      If you do not want to use SMB 1.0 anymore, you can use FTP to easily access the USB memory on your TP-Link router using the Internet browser. Alternatively, you can also use the FTP protocol with e.g. Cyberduck, FileZilla or WinSCP access the memory.

b)      You may also continue using SMB1.0, please enable SMB 1.0 support on your windows 10 computer follow these steps:

1. Enter sys in the search box of the Windows taskbar and then select "Control Panel".

2. In the upper right corner, under "Display", select "Category" ().

3. Click on "Programs" and then on "Programs and Features".

4. Click "Turn Windows features on or off".

5. In the Windows Features window, enable "Support for SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing" and click "OK.

6. Click "Restart Now" to complete the installation.

Sorry for all the inconvenience and your cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Activation of SMB v2 on TD-W9970-Solution
2019-09-17 02:56:13 - last edited 2019-09-18 09:31:25

@Ivano 

For your information, the TD-W9970 does not support SMB v2 yet. While this feature will be added in the near future. 

Here is the solution for your to access the USB devices connect on our router.

a)      If you do not want to use SMB 1.0 anymore, you can use FTP to easily access the USB memory on your TP-Link router using the Internet browser. Alternatively, you can also use the FTP protocol with e.g. Cyberduck, FileZilla or WinSCP access the memory.

b)      You may also continue using SMB1.0, please enable SMB 1.0 support on your windows 10 computer follow these steps:

1. Enter sys in the search box of the Windows taskbar and then select "Control Panel".

2. In the upper right corner, under "Display", select "Category" ().

3. Click on "Programs" and then on "Programs and Features".

4. Click "Turn Windows features on or off".

5. In the Windows Features window, enable "Support for SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing" and click "OK.

6. Click "Restart Now" to complete the installation.

Sorry for all the inconvenience and your cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Activation of SMB v2 on TD-W9970
2019-09-17 06:40:35

@Kevin_Z 

thank you for your reply wink

I have already applied the workaround b)

About the firmware in the link https://www.tp-link.com/it/support/download/td-w9970/v2/#Firmware I found only one version of firmware, that is not the last!!

Do you know other official web site where i can find all firmware versions? Problaly there I will be able also to find the future versions, included the version that can enable the SMB v2.

Regards

Options
Re:Activation of SMB v2 on TD-W9970
2019-09-18 09:31:03

@Ivano 

Thanks for your reply.

The current available firmware does not support SMB v2; there does have a firmware available for the TD-W9970. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/td-w9970/v2/#Firmware

While it is suggested to upgrade firmware from the local TP-Link official website of the purchase location for your TP-Link device, otherwise it will be against the warranty.

May it help and have a good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1743

Replies: 3

Related Articles