not so happy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

not so happy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
not so happy
not so happy
2019-10-01 07:23:45 - last edited 2019-10-01 09:30:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 build 20190403 rel. 43515

hi, 

I have several serious and less serious but annoying issues going on..

first of all, not happy with the speed. I did a lot of things already. Everything is set to default (this means most extra features are disabled), no QoS, no AV, etc. Still, even when I'm only 7m from the main router connected to my cable modem..  download speed tests show a pretty low speed (varying from 50 Mbps to 250 Mbps, but usually in the lower ranges between 50 and 130)) which I also notice in daily usage. Test Internet Speed is always very good (600 to 800 Mbps!), so it's definitely the Deco router.  Also when connecting over ethernet to the main unit/router, speed is not really good!  I have no idea why.

Also, I'd like to split 2.4 and 5Ghz into two different SSIDs so I can chose which device connects to which SSID (some devices like my Oculus Quest don't like the switching and often lose connection.  On the Oculus forums it's verified that disabling 2.4Ghz is a valid solution. However, I cannot do that because I have some devices that can't connect to 5Ghz (f.e. smart power plugs). Very annoying!

I'd like to be able to chose my wifi channel as well. Probably lots of neighbours around using the same channel and I'm not sure the auto-channel-select is working as it should.

I have a unit that keeps dropping the connection although it's not far from the main router unit! No idea why..  what's the max. distance anyway, I don't know.

Hopefuly a new firmware update is coming which will fix all these things.

Thanks,

Kris

Options
3 Reply
Re:not so happy
2019-10-02 10:22:25

Quick follow up:

Disabling 2.4Ghz made the connection to my Oculus Quest flawless, not having any(!) disconnect/authentication issues anymore.  This is good news, but as stated earlier, I still have (small) devices that only use 2.4ghz like smart power plugs and other stuff.  So how can I fix this?  New firmware allowing me to split the SSIDs is the only solution I can see?

Also, I ran a tool called WIFI Explorer which gives a really detailed view on my and also surrounding wifi equipment.  The first thing it displayed after scanning was a notification that neighbours were using the same channel as me (also TP-Link devices!) and that I need to change my channel (I live in a crowded city, so no surprise ther).  So, it appears auto-channeling is not (always) working like it should.  Is there a way to change my channel?

Options
2019-10-03 18:53:19
Theres no way to change the channel. When I tested in my very crowded area with lots of routers, it actually selects its own channel pretty well for me. I have a Deco P7. I've had terrible issues with speeds on my 2.4ghz network. If i get disconnected from my 2.4ghz network, the internet is always like 3mbps down. I have a 200/10 line. Hopping back on 5ghz instantly fixes it and my speeds are back up to 200/10 on wifi. I haven't found a solution to terrible wifi speeds on 2.4ghz. For your issue, as you cannot split the channels, you could just use the guest network for your 5ghz stuff. I believe the guest network has full access to the network, last time I read about it on here.
Options
2019-10-10 02:38:54

@krisvdvijver 

Hello, for the devices which do not like switching and lose internet, you can enable guest network and connect them to the guest network 5GHz. 

Or you can disable fast roaming to block the seamless roaming between different SSIDs and APs. 

The Deco does not support the feature to modify channel manually yet, while we have noted that and reminded our engineers. 

For the speed issue, we can do further analysis:

1. please tell us the current network diagram. 

2. With computer connected to the Mian Deco only by wired cable, please test the speed you can get and click here to verify the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on ethernet connection or local area connection. 

3. In the meantime, please connect your computer to the Deco's wifi network to check the speed and the wireless negotiation speed as well. Please show us the results. 

Besides, the firmware for Deco M9 plus is on its way, and to satisfy your needs, we offer a beta firmware which you can install to get the new features first. Once the official one released, you can use it.

http://support.tp-link.com/f/3e6d070efd/?dl=1

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1485

Replies: 3

Related Articles