Carrier Aggregation or 4G+ doesn’t work properly on LTE Advanced Router
2023-07-14 07:05:01 - last edited 2024-03-15 02:40:31
Model: Archer MR600   Archer MR500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies to

LTE Advanced Routers, including Archer MR600 and Archer MR500

Problem Description

We have received reports from some of our customers regarding issues with carrier aggregation or 4G+ not functioning correctly after updating to the 1.7.0 firmware on MR600 V2 or on MR600 V3. These issues include 4G+ never working or the 4G+ LED turning on and off every few seconds. While the symptoms may appear similar, the underlying causes could vary. To address these issues, we kindly ask you to follow the instructions in this article to troubleshoot and provide us with detailed information for further analysis.

If you are unfamiliar with carrier aggregation or 4G+, please refer to our guide on What is Carrier Aggregation and how it works on TP-Link LTE Gateway Routers/MiFi? 

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Confirm with the ISP which band combinations the SIM card supports, then check if it matches with the LTE Advanced Router. You could check the supported bands and Carrier Aggregation band combinations on the specification page of the product. 

Here is Archer MR600 V3 Specification. As you can see, not all combinations are supported, for example, even though it supports 4G band 1 and also band 40, it doesn’t support band 1+band 40 for carrier aggregation.

2. Make sure the band is set to be “Auto” on Advanced->Network->Internet page, then check band information on Advanced->Status page, record the band(s).

Then insert the same SIM card into another LTE Advanced device at the same location and check if it works on 4G+ all the time, if so, check the band as well for comparison.

If you have no other LTE Advanced router, please try your smartphone, and you could refer to How to check the 4G band working on our smartphones to check the band working on your smartphone.

After finding the band combinations working on another device, please try to select 4G bands manually on the TP-Link device and make sure same bands are selected:
How to select 4G band manually on the web interface of LTE Gateway Routers

However, if your another device or phone shows 4G, no 4G+, please contact your ISP.

3. Please try to download large files or run Speed Test to see if TP-Link router will show 4G+, some ISPs might allocate more resources when there is high-traffic operation.

If the above troubleshooting still cannot locate or solve the problem, please leave your comment and provide the following information.

1) Model number, hardware and firmware version of your TP-Link LTE Advanced Router
2) Your country and ISP
3) Detailed problem description, band information on Status page, and you are using auto band or manually selected band
4) Brand & model No., of your another LTE Advanced device. Network Type and Band information on it with the same SIM card at same location.

5) Specifically, do you have XiaoMi phone for comparison?
6) Will 4G+ show up when you download large files or run Speed Test

7) System Log file of TP-Link device, you could save it on Advanced->System Tools->System Log page

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Carrier Aggregation or 4G+ doesn’t work properly on LTE Advanced Router-Solution
2024-03-15 02:40:25 - last edited 2024-03-15 02:40:31

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a Xiaomi phone for comparison?

Apologies for the delayed response. I understand that many users have reported a similar problem. However, we are currently unable to determine whether the issue lies with the MR600(firmware or the chip) or ISP. Previous analysis suggests a possible connection to the ISP or base station.

Some users have mentioned that the issue started with the 1.7.0 firmware on the MR600 V2, but it's important to note that the 1.7.0 firmware primarily addressed a minor display problem and did not modify the actual 4G+ connection mechanism or logic.

In order to further investigate these cases, we would like to compare them with Xiaomi phones. This is because we can attempt to obtain modem logs from Xiaomi phones for comparison purposes.

If you are experiencing the same issue with your MR600 and have no issues with a Xiaomi phone using the same SIM card in the same location, please leave a comment and provide the following information:

1) Model number, hardware, and firmware version of your TP-Link device.
2) Your country and ISP.
3) Detailed description of the problem, band information on the Status page, and whether you are using auto band selection or manually selecting a band.
4) Behavior of your Xiaomi phone with the same SIM card in the same location, including the model number of the phone, network type, and band information: How to check the 4G band working on our smartphones
5) Does 4G+ show up on the MR600 when you download large files or run a Speed Test?
6) System Log file of the TP-Link device, which you can save on the Advanced->System Tools->System Log page.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Recommended Solution
Options
64 Reply
Re:Carrier Aggregation or 4G+ doesn’t work properly on LTE Advanced Router
2023-07-14 09:43:12

@Sunshine 

Thanks for consolidating the numerous threads regarding the same and similar issues.And I understand that the Support team is still working to figure out a proper solution.

One point re your comment " 3. Please try to download large files or run Speed Test to see if TP-Link router will show 4G+, some ISPs might allocate more resources when there is high-traffic operation.": I understand, however, from the report of one user that the issue arose after he updated from FW 1.6 to FW 1.7 (and his solution was to downgrade back to FW 1.6). Thus, it seems that this is a FW issue (and not an ISP/Base Station issue)? Again, I understand that the Support team is looking into this, just wanted to clarify here.

Best

Options
2023-07-17 11:45:41

@MobileRouter This problem also arose on the MR600 V1 consolidated beta release 1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220818 Rel.55981n_Beta to fix a multitude of issues last year with a promise that if all goes well it would be released as an official version .Well this is highly unlikely. So you buy a product that will never have a corrected final official firmware. This problem started with this beta release and was carried over to V2 and V3. The same logs occur and the 4G+ led flashes on and off every two seconds. If you downgrade V1 back to the official firmware without manual band selection the problem goes but then you get the multitude of other issues like the sms messages not displaying etc. One would think that tp-link engineers would seriously look at this problem, but I'm afraid that there are so many products being rushed to market in a fierce  competitive industry that only a short period of time is allocated to testing and then the products released. I use a Huawei cat 7 lte router to act as the front end and connect via WAN to the MR600 v1 and the 4G+ is perfectly stable all of the time. I use this combination as I use onemesh and I didn't want to have to go out and replace everything. Such a pity that attention to detail is overlook for what would be a great set of products.

Options
2023-07-17 14:29:53

Yes, it's definitely a firmware issue.

But I think it's just a UI problem. The router is only losing carrier aggregation, when the downlink is idle or not fully occupied.
So it shouldn't be a performance issue. (If it is otherwise, please correct me)

Options
2023-07-26 20:08:05

@Sunshine I'm glad I found this thread as I'm having a similar issue.

I had put it down to weather or environment but I'm not sure my reduction in signal or sporadic loss of service is entirely attributable to this. I do have trees close to the property that are in full leaf which may not be helping.

I wonder if it's possible to roll back the firmware out of interest?

I'll follow this with interest and see what comes out of this discussion.

Options
2023-07-30 21:03:25

@Sunshine This is 100% a firmware issue; some days I have Carrier Aggregation (on other 4G+/LTE devices it works 100% of the time), sometimes I don't, sometimes it chooses the worst band even on Manual Mode, sometimes it picks the best band (yet nothing compares to having both bands selected). The speeds are abysmal due to the intermittent Carrier Aggregation; the router seems to default to no carrier aggregation when there's low traffic.

Options
2023-07-30 21:17:15

@Rick-Santos At the moment I have an engineers visit booked for next Friday to have a 264Mbps connection installed which will be provided by coaxial cable.

It's really disappointing, for many months it's done really well for me but now it's intolerable.

Options
2023-07-31 15:33:52

@Sunshine Actually, I've just seen multiple posts from local residents on a Facebook group reporting poor service from Virgin Media and on going issues that they are taking no notice of so I may well not do this.

I would like to roll back the firmware but for the life of me I can't find a link to download it.

It's that or replace the router for a different make frown

Options
2023-08-01 21:55:45 - last edited 2023-08-01 21:57:58

@Sunshine I have the firmware rolled back to 1.6.0 0.9.1 and so far the 4G+ is back on permanently and speeds seem to be improved. Time will tell for stability.

Found the firmware here  Archer MR600(EU)_V2_220105

Hope this is useful.

Options
2023-08-08 14:33:38

@Sunshine 

hopefully it will fix soon

Options
2023-08-08 18:02:24
Tried this troubleshooting but didn’t work. Model: Archer MR600 4G+ Dual Band Gigabit Router Hardware Version: Archer MR600 v2 00000001 Firmware Version: 1.7.0.0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220826 Rel.58057n Country: INDIA ISP: Airtel Bands Available: B1, B5, B40 Problem: 4G+ Never shows up even after manually selecting band combinations as per the data sheet of this model. No 4G+ shows up when downloading large files
Options