How to connect Deco M5 directly to Singtel ONT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-04 02:12:29 - last edited 2021-07-05 09:10:30
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I am a newbie at home networking stuff, so need some advice.

I recently bought a Deco M5 and was wondering if it is possible to connect it directly to Singtel ONT, instead of Singtel issued router ?

I tried just plugging it directly, but no internet despite good connection.

Please help me understand if I have missed out anything important.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to connect Deco M5 directly to Singtel ONT-Solution
2020-06-26 02:32:24 - last edited 2021-07-05 09:10:30

@TH_K hi, sg user here too. you cant do that for Singtel, because the router they pass you also acts as their modem which they store the config to connect to the network. the ont also i think only allow for one router to LAN1 port at a time only. you have to connect your deco to the singtel router instead, is what im doing for my powerline as well. you can always call them to confirm this. or go hardwarezone forums got more info. this forum not a lot of SG users to help with this specific singtel issue 

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:How to connect Deco M5 directly to Singtel ONT
2019-10-10 02:14:41

@Meowbear 

Hello, you can connect the Deco M5 to the ONT directly bypass the singtel router. 

To make it work, you need configure it with the username and password given by ISP. And VLAN ID if needed. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-05-09 08:53:43

@Kevin_Z 

hi, using the deco app on my mobile phone, the setup process doesn't ask for any username nor password given by ISP.  (I am using Singtel Fibre Broadband.)  Halfway through the setup process, the main deco unit just displayed red LED light and indicated there was no connection to the Internet.  I have connected by cable my main deco unit to the ONT.

Can you advise what to do next?

Thanks.

Options
2020-06-25 17:24:12

@TH_K Did you manage to find a solution?

I'm currently facing the same issue as well.
Running on Singtel ONT and experiencing connection problems with Deco unit.

Options
Re:How to connect Deco M5 directly to Singtel ONT-Solution
2020-06-26 02:32:24 - last edited 2021-07-05 09:10:30

@TH_K hi, sg user here too. you cant do that for Singtel, because the router they pass you also acts as their modem which they store the config to connect to the network. the ont also i think only allow for one router to LAN1 port at a time only. you have to connect your deco to the singtel router instead, is what im doing for my powerline as well. you can always call them to confirm this. or go hardwarezone forums got more info. this forum not a lot of SG users to help with this specific singtel issue 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-28 01:37:40 - last edited 2021-07-05 08:55:15

@Meowbear In the Deco app on your phone. Select Advanced > IPTV/VLAN > ISP Profile = Singapore-Singtel > Slide the IPTV/VLAN button (if it is not enabled already). That should solve your problem.

Options
2021-07-05 08:54:33 - last edited 2021-07-05 09:10:00

@EugeneS  Thanks for trying to help. Tried doing switching on the VLan.  Nope, it didn't work.

@Kevin_Z   Despite your advice (and whatever else shown on the official TPLink setup videos), Deco M5 cannot connect to SingTel ONT directly.

@goodgoat   Thanks for clarifying.  And you described the situation correctly.

First off, i have to describe the situation in precise detail.

Not all Singtel broadband users have the same Optical Network Terminal (ONT) or Optical Network Router (ONR).

Also, not all Singtel broadband users subscribe to SingTel TV too.

So, i can only describe the situation for a SingTel broadband user like myself who does not subscribe to SingTel TV and was issued an ONT, not ONR.

This is how my Deco M5 is set up in my 5 room-HDB at home:

SingTel ONT -->  Singtel issued router --->  Deco M5 (access point mode, living room) ......> Deco M5 (studyroom)

The speed quite good, and there are no blind spots.

Options
2021-10-12 15:23:05

@Meowbear Hi there, may I check which port did you connect to the router from the Deco M5? I'm also using Singtel ONT and Router setup with MIO TV Box. Facing the same issues getting my Deco M5 to get a blue light.

Options
2021-10-13 02:29:36

@Firstimer 

Hi, I see your Deco M5 is online at the moment so I support you have got your issue fixed already?

Did you also set up Deco M5 as an access point but want to replace SingTel issued router with Deco?

Options
2021-10-13 12:45:51

@Firstimer On the ONT only Lan1 is active. On the Deco any port is fine.

Options
2022-02-15 12:59:52 - last edited 2022-02-15 13:01:20

@goodgoat 

Hi, i think you can connect the Deco M5 directly to Singtel ONT now. Initially i faced the same issue as well when i plugged in my M5 directly to my Singtel ONT, and afterwards i did the same as what the solution here says - plugged the M5 into my Singtel issued router instead of my ONT. 

However, i went to the singtel website and search about third party router and it says this.

So i tried to enable the VLAN on the Deco app and changed the ISP profile to "Singapore-Singtel" and then it worked magically when i plugged my M5 Deco directly into my Singtel ONT.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11378

Replies: 10

Related Articles