Archer VR2800 can't access admin/login panel or connect via default WiFi settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR2800 can't access admin/login panel or connect via default WiFi settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-10 11:13:26 - last edited 2019-10-11 03:12:31
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone,

I've just picked up an Archer VR2800 to replace a VR900 and I cannot access the admin panel. The usual 192.168.1.1 doesn't work when connected to my PC/laptop via ethernet.

Windows says it's giving me an auto IP of 169.254.126.152 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which usually means there is something wrong with DHCP on the router. I have tried manually telling windows to use 192.168.1.100 as IP, 192.168.1.1 as gateway and 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask. No luck, still cannot connect to router.

To make things worse no wireless connection will work. I've tried laptop/phone. Default SSID as per card is TP-Link_696C but the password given on card/bottom of router won't work. I've reset the router about 10 times but the password keeps kicking back an authentication error.

No matter how I'm trying to connect to this VR2800 I'm hitting a brick wall.

The power led keeps flashing on the the unit, so I don't know if that means there is something wrong with it?

Any advice, thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer VR2800 can't access admin/login panel or connect via default WiFi settings
2019-10-10 11:25:56 - last edited 2019-10-11 03:12:31

@Audioboxer 

Replying to my own topic but I just noticed in the manual for the power LED constantly blinking.

"The system is starting up or firmware is being upgraded. Do not disconnect or power off your modem router"

Considering it has been doing that for about half an hour I'd presume it's bricked or something? :(

Options
Re:Archer VR2800 can't access admin/login panel or connect via default WiFi settings
2019-10-11 03:12:02 - last edited 2019-10-11 03:12:31

@Audioboxer 

What is the led stauts of the Archer VR2800? Especially the DSL led and internet led. 

The wireless password is printed on the back panel of the actual device, which is 8 digits numbers. Not admin. 

To access the web UI of the Archer VR2800, try to hard reset it first by holding the reset button/hole for 10s with the router powered on. 

And then please click here to verify whether you have obtained a valid IP and gateway from the Archer VR2800. 

You can change another device to login to the management page as well. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-11 08:48:32 - last edited 2019-10-11 10:05:21

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin I passed over my details/issue to email support.

I own a VR600 and this was purchased for me as an upgrade so I am quite familiar with the tp-link web interface. I own multiple tp-link powerline adapters as well so I have a good grasp of using tp-link hardware (where login details are/how to reset).

I've been trying the 13 digit pin, but nothing connects. This is after multiple resets and even an old school 30/30/30 reset.

The issue seems to be once the router starts up the web interface instantly crashes/locks up and nothing works. This causes an ethernet connected device to produce an IP such as 169.254.126.152 and even when manually setting to 192.168.1.1 9 times out of 10 trying to access the admin interface will timeout.

Very occassionally I get to here

https://i.imgur.com/hMchyV8.png

The web interface instantly crashes on a white screen (none of the links are clickable, such as Basic/Advanced). Often if I refresh the page or remove/reinsert the ethernet cable it's back to cannot connect.

The majority of the time I get this

https://i.imgur.com/S5yGDIq.png

It's simply not possible to properly get access to the web UI as for whatever reason the device seems to be crashing/locking up every time it boots up. This is even after about 20~30 resets or something, considering I've spent hours trying to get it working.

If there was a way to access some sort of recovery mode/manually trigger a firmware reflash it could help, but as far as I'm aware on these newer TP-Link devices anything like that probably has to be done by the support/RMA teams. If me, the end user, cannot access the web UI there is no way to try and reflash the firmware. Not that I know of, as anything on these support forums revolves around older router-only devices (these archers are the modem/router combos) and using something called Tftpd. Not something I've ever heard of or used before.

Options
2019-10-12 09:10:19

@Audioboxer 

Customer service came back to me today after sending pictures, a video and a further lengthy explanation to my original email asking me to try resetting again. Not that troubleshooting questions bother me but I had explained it has been reset countless times now. Just seems like a bit of a waste of everyone's time asking me that again.

Sadly it also seems an RMA request is going to be rejected due to asking for an invoice. The modem was purchased a few months ago as a welcome gift for me moving into this home to upgrade from a VR600 (the wireless on this was going to potentially struggle a bit through thicker walls in this older house). After moving and having to wait a bit for my ISP to get my internet up and running this is the first time I've been able to check the VR2800.

Trying to now get the member of the family who bought it to find a receipt, but at the same time, I'd have hoped a company of this size could do things like others do which is checking warranty validity via serial number/packaging (I sent this to customer service). So yes, as a customer even although this was given to me I'll accept some responsibility if we cannot find a receipt, but at the same time, other manufacturers manage to help out in genuine warranty cases with their products.

This is obviously when as a customer I go looking for reviews, and sadly anything around RMAs or the 2/3 year warranty offered seems to receive some criticism https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/tp-link.com Yes, I know reviews are one side of any story, but for better or worse customers rarely talk about positive feedback and instead be vocal when they are unhappy.

I'll wait and see what reply I get, but in a home full of tp-link from my current modem, the VR600, to a total of 6 homeplugs all from tp-link, this might dent my future desires to deal with the company. When things work well life goes on, but if and when there is ever an issue that is when a company gets tested for common sense customer care/support. Yes, there are lots of potential buyers out there to carry your brand, but losing someone already invested is never good either.

Options
2019-10-12 13:11:57

@Audioboxer 

Just to leave my final post, TP-Link is refusing to acknowledge warranty or even check the serial number after multiple requests.

"We understand your current situation deeply and consult my superviser about your case.
All TP-Link staff and customer should confirm with TP-Link warranty policy.
However, according to TP-Link policy we cannot provide you warranty then if your cannot provide any purchase document.
On TP-Link UK official website we also stated "PLEASE RETAIN A COPY OF YOUR INVOICE/RECEIPT to verify the purchase for any future warranty claim. TP-Link UK may decline to provide a replacement if the customer is failed to produce the effective invoice/receipt", you may refer this link to get more warranty policy information:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/replacement-warranty/

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
Have a nice day."

It was bought as a gift, the family member who paid for it a few months ago struggling to find the receipt, but a company of this size can easily check the serial and acknowledge pictures of a device that is essentially brand new.

As I said above any company will really be tested for customer service in situations where a common-sense approach may be required to listen to a customer and make a judgment call instead of simply read T&C and say goodbye. This is usually what sets the best companies apart from those that seemingly have what I presume is RMA targets, essentially trying to save costs by refusing to acknowledge RMAs/the 3 year warranty if there is any complications whatsoever.

Considering TP-Link are a company that requests we pay the postage to send something faulty to them (not every company does this), I have to question how much money is saved rejecting customers when what is sent in can easily be refurbished/repaired and sent back or sent to another warranty claim.

Utterly disappointed and yes, it's the last time I buy TP-Link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2974

Replies: 5