Using a Range Extender with DECO?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-12 07:09:50

I have a spare TL-WA830RE that I used previously as a range extender.

I then set it to extend my current DECO M5 mesh - it is working. But how stable is my system?

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Using a Range Extender with DECO?
2019-10-12 08:58:31

@ragnakore 

Hello, you can connect the TL-WA830RE to the Deco to boost wifi signal, while the extender cannot build up a mesh network with Deco together. 

For the stability, it is more related to the network environment which is affected by the distance, obstacles and interferences. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-16 12:55:47

@ragnakore 

Hi

I have a deco M5 wifi network with 3 units (working just fine and all units with latest 1.4.2 firmware)

I also found an old Tplink Range extender WA860RE (V1 hardware but latest firmware avail 3.15)  but unlike what is mentioned in that thread I'm unable to connect it to the wifi network managed by the Deco.

Using WPS doesn't work (on deco app WPS timer gets checked and disappears) but on extender side unit remains on flashing green led for wifi signal

I also tried to connect extender to my laptop through ethernet connection and manual configuration but first thing during network search it finds deco wifi network SSID but all deco units mac addresses are listed with last Hex block of MAC address set to what's reported by deco app + 2 (for example 98 instead of 96 or B8 instead of B6) is that normal ???

if I iselect deco unit with best signal in that search list and finalize the configuration it says that it is unable to connect...

what am I doing wrong ?

is it possible to connect a WA860RE V1 extender to a deco wifi network ?

thanks for your help

Options
2020-04-06 13:44:25

@ragnakore  Hi, how have you found the network behaving since you connected the range extender?

Options
2020-12-23 00:31:22

@gatito 

I see the same behavior. Did you resolve this?

Options
2020-12-25 08:25:03

@marknet 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know the model number of your Deco units as well as the range extender?

If it is TL-WA860RE as well, please refer to the following suggestion to have a look:

1.temporarily turn off the 5ghz on the Deco and only leave the 2.4ghz;

2.try to set up the 860RE again;

3. once the set up was successful, please turn on the 5ghz back;

--if still failed, please enable the guest Wi-Fi for 2.4ghz only with another SSID and set up the RE with the guest Wi-Fi;

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Options
2021-02-05 13:14:26 - last edited 2021-02-05 13:17:36

Hi I tested all of those instructions and none are working. the 860RE keeps having the green Wifi signal flashing during the WPS process... One thing I noticed on the deco app is that at some point the WPS icon that was active as a timer switched to a green checkmark and stopped but even after this the 860RE was still searching for the connection So I guess, it is not possible to link the 860RE to the deco network? PS: My deco units still run firmware 1.4.2 Thanks Regards

Forgot to answer about hardware config:

3 deco units M5 V1.0 running 1.4.2 firmware

1 Tplink Range extender WA860RE (V1 hardware but latest firmware available 3.15 installed)

Options
2022-01-09 21:22:10

@TP-Link I have a TP-Link WiFi Repeater (RE650), AC2600 currently linked to my wifi router (I know this is not ideal as it causes inteference) ....because I have an E4 mesh network as well.

I want the RE650 to extend (linked to) the E4 network and switch off the router's wifi.

i.e. the E4 mesh ip is 192.168.68.x and the router is 192.168.1.x but I want to connect the RE650 to 192.168.68.x.  etc.etc.

Please can you refer me to instructions how to do this, or even better tell me here?

TP-Link wrote

@marknet 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know the model number of your Deco units as well as the range extender?

If it is TL-WA860RE as well, please refer to the following suggestion to have a look:

1.temporarily turn off the 5ghz on the Deco and only leave the 2.4ghz;

2.try to set up the 860RE again;

3. once the set up was successful, please turn on the 5ghz back;

--if still failed, please enable the guest Wi-Fi for 2.4ghz only with another SSID and set up the RE with the guest Wi-Fi;

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

I hope this is possible as I dont want to throw away the RE650.

Thanks in advance,

James

Options
2022-01-10 08:10:31

@jtreg 

Hi, it is ok to set up RE650 with Deco E4.

The configuration is the same as when you set up RE650 with the old router.

The different would be Deco E4 has the same SSID for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and when setting up via Tether APP/web UI, you might need to choose the same SSID twice.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/re650/#video​​​​​​​

Options