Configuration TD-8840T

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Configuration TD-8840T

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Configuration TD-8840T
Configuration TD-8840T
2019-10-27 07:40:22
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.8.0 2.4 v0007.0 Build 141022 Rel.38384n

Note that 'adaptor' was forced on me as the system doesn't want to know about the real model number

I have a brand new old stock TD-8840T modem router which I wish to use on a network with both private and public IPs. the unit is a replacement for an old Netcomm NB6 which died a week ago. Before anyone starts on about ADSL being past its use-by date, Australia is a backward country, especially away from the capital cities, and ADSL will be the only practical internet connection for some time.

Both the old Netcomm NB6 and the new TP-LINK TD-8840T have a function to add a second IP range, and this always worked perfectly in the Netcomm unit,  allowing internet access to all LAN machines with a public IP address.  For various reasons, VPN isn't relevant to these machines.

When I configure the TP-LINK TD-8840T exactly the same as the old Netcomm NB6, I can address all machines with public IP addresses from LAN machines with private IP addresses, but I attempts to address the LAN machines with public IP addresses from the internet fail (timeout). It doesn't make the slightest difference whether the primary IP range is private and the secondary range public, or vice versa.

Is there something in the setup that I've missed ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Configuration TD-8840T
2019-10-28 09:06:06

@praxidice 

Do you mean that you can access the outside devices from the local network, while you failed to access the local network from the outside internet? 

If so, I think it is normal, to protect the external attack and local network security, outside devices cannot access the local network directly unless you enable the port forwarding for this device. 

Have you ever enabled the port formwarding related feature? 

If I did not get your point, please correct me. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Configuration TD-8840T
2019-10-28 16:12:15 - last edited 2019-10-28 16:17:13

@praxidice  I shouldn't need to use port forwarding with public IP addresses, that would defeat the purpose of public IPs.  Why would TP-LINK provide an option for a second subnet (presumably not discounting the possibility that users would want public IPs to run servers etc) and then disable inbound connections ?  I never had that problem with the old modem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 663

Replies: 2

Related Articles