Devices connected to Extender are showing wrong MAC addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-28 17:09:13 - last edited 2020-08-06 06:05:47
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: all compatible firmware

Hi All,

I am having a strange issue with MAC addresses which are connected to extender.

First thing first. My setup is as follow:

Ground Floor: Router ----> SERVER2016 (DHCP, DNS and Unifi Controller ) [Cabbled to router]------> UNIFI AP1 [Cabbled to router]

2nd Floor : RE650  (Extender mode) [Connected to Router with WIFI 1]

ZOOM IN to RE650:

Broadcast on RE650 is switched OFF both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz.

Ethernet Cable from RE650 connects to unmannaged switch which than provides connection to UNIFI AP2, Home PC and a HP printer. (all wired through unmanaged switch)

Devices have no issue getting Internet or communicating to each other

HOWEVER

All Devices connected to RE650 seems to be showing same first three OCTET of there Mac Adresses Only last three OCTET match the real MAC address.

For example:

Device1 has C0:EE:FB:25:A0:8D connected to UNIFI AP2  and it gets DA:0D:17:25:80:AD  (wireless connection)

Device2 has  50:E5:49:3B:05:E8 connected to switch which is connected to RE650 and it gets DA:0D:17:3B:05:E8 (wired Connection)

Same devices connected to switch and UNIFI AP1  on the Ground Floor shows the correct and ACTIVE connection in DHCP.

ISSUE:

Due to this, devices gets 2 different IPs which works one at a time of course depending on where the mobile device connects to UNIFI AP1 or UNIFI AP2. behind the extender or before the extender.

My question why the extender is doing this and how can i setup the extender to NOT do whatever it is doing to the first 3 OCTETs of MAc addresses.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices connected to Extender are showing wrong MAC addresses-Solution
2019-10-29 03:16:21 - last edited 2020-08-06 06:05:47

@Haid3r 

It is normal, not a bug.

Reasons are listed as below:

1. The RE650 works in proxy mode by default; in Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender; Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address and assign its IP address. 

2. The latter 24bits of each client’s virtual MAC address are exactly the same as the latter 24bits of client’s real MAC address, which you can easily find the rule by comparing the client’s real MAC addresswith its virtual MAC address. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Devices connected to Extender are showing wrong MAC addresses-Solution
2019-10-29 03:16:21 - last edited 2020-08-06 06:05:47

@Haid3r 

It is normal, not a bug.

Reasons are listed as below:

1. The RE650 works in proxy mode by default; in Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender; Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address and assign its IP address. 

2. The latter 24bits of each client’s virtual MAC address are exactly the same as the latter 24bits of client’s real MAC address, which you can easily find the rule by comparing the client’s real MAC addresswith its virtual MAC address. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Devices connected to Extender are showing wrong MAC addresses
2020-04-11 21:39:44 - last edited 2020-04-11 21:43:31

I have a similar issue, which I think it's in fact a problem. I have an Archer C1200 and a TL-WA830RE range extender. All devices connected to the range extender, appear using the range extender's MAC address. when viewing the list of connected devices, on the router's web page or Tether app.

DHCP is turned off in the range extender. I didn't have this problem when I used my ISP's router.

https://card.exophase.com/2/0/25143.png?1613772255
Options
2020-04-13 08:16:56 - last edited 2020-04-13 08:17:24

the same me with AC1200/RE365 & N300/WA860RE! ... I don't understand why tp-link no longer allows you to switch even in Universal mode or WDS ...

Options
2020-06-03 05:34:40
Model: TL-WA850RE Hardware Version: V6 Firmware Version: all compatible firmware Hi All, I am having a strange issue with MAC addresses which are connected to extender. All Devices connected to 850RE seems to be showing same first three OCTET of there Mac Adresses Only last three OCTET match the real MAC address.
Options
2020-08-05 14:46:17 - last edited 2020-08-05 15:10:12

@Kevin_Z I recently purchased the RE220 and found little issues until we attempted to print to my wireless printer. I have a configured a static DHCP on my router based on mac addresses and when reviewing my connected devices I see the wireless printer is assigned two IPs with the proxy mac address taking priority causing connection issues. I was expecting a mac passthrough configuration, maintaining true device identities. I also have multiple IP cameras which will be accessing this system which also have static DHCP. How can I disable this feature?

Options
2020-08-13 06:47:17
Good day, Thank you for your patience. There is no way to enable the virtual MAC address here. And if possible, have you tried to set up the static IP address on the printer? Really sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for your understanding.
Options
2020-08-13 15:01:41

@Solla-topee Thanks for the response and confirming the capibilies of the extender. The printer is set to be discluded from the extender and I will be setting static IPs for other devices.

Options
2021-03-25 13:27:52

While I get why they are doing the mac proxy, what I dont understand is the number of different mac's coming from the device. 

For mine, the initial three are A6:2B:B0.

The RE650 has an ip.

The proxied device has an ip.

But then there is an unaccounted for mac that gets an address and its NOT through the router.

Ive contacted support about it, the mac is a AMAC Tech out of Taiwan mac, but does not go

to any device connected. 

I had wondered about a macs for the 2gh and 5gh and then an access address but that doesnt 

seem likely. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10545

Replies: 8