WiFi disconnects and router crashes?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-31 00:43:19
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 170504 Rel.68210n

Hi

I started having this problem just over a week ago, things have been fine before then.

The WiFi on our laptops disconnect and won't reconnect back up again.  My Wired computer is still connected to the internet.  However when I try and go to 192.168.1.1 on my wired PC I cannot get to the page, nothing loads its just a blank white page. 

So I pull out the power plug on router and plug back in and my wired PC can connect to the admin page again, it reconnects to internet and everything is OK for a day or two until it happens again.

Does anyone know what this is?  It can't be a WiFi only fault as why can't my wired PC get to the admin page.

I haven't changed anything on the network recently.  I have only connected 1 new device recently, the PC I am now using with the wired connection, I started using it with a WiFi connection then changed to wired.  This problem happened both wireless and wired.  I'm not saying this new device is causing the problem though, as how can a client cause a problem? 

We don't have a lot of WiFi devices, maybe 10 or less, and probably no more than 4 using the connection at the same time, so router is not bogged down.  My router is using WiFi channel 2 and we are the only people using it in range.

Any ideas?

Options
9 Reply
Re:WiFi disconnects and router crashes?
2019-10-31 07:25:22

@ThatTechGuy 

What is the led status of the VR600 when the wifi lost connection? 

Can you see the wifi name at that time? Any error message shows up when you tried to reconnect to it. 

Try to ping the gateway on your wired computer when it failed to access the web UI, which is 192.168.1.1 by default and show us the results. 

Try to change some wireless settings, like wireless channel and channel width. 

And please ensure that the firmware is up to date.

Options
2019-10-31 11:40:35

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin

I'm not sure the status of the lights when it has the problem, I will look and tell you next time it does it.

Yeah I can see the SSID but when I try to connect to it it says something like failed to connect to the network. 

OK I will try pinging it.

Yes the firmware is up to date. 

I did a factory reset of the router last night, I'm hoping it has fixed the problem but it's early days yet.  I've only set up my VDSL, WiFi password/SSID and turned off WPS, everything else is the factory settings I believe.

I wondered if it could be some memory leak or something.  I turned on traffic monitor many months ago and was unable to turn it off, it would say some error message.  Now it's been factory reset traffic monitor is off, still the router was working fine for 10 months or so with it on. 

Options
2019-11-01 03:26:10

@ThatTechGuy 

Thanks for your reply; you can take your time to get these info when it happens next time. 

Besides, you can customize the wireless settings to optimize its performance, like wireless channel, channel width and transmit power. 

For 2.4GHz, try channel 1, 6 and 11; channel width 20MHzl; for 5GHz, try channel 36, 40 and 44, channel width 40MHz; set transmit power to middle/medium. 

Furthermore, when did you buy this Archer VR600?

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-01 12:14:10

@Kevin_Z 

Why are 1, 6 and 11 the best channels to use?  Aren't they the same?  I use channel 2 as channel 1 is used by neighbour, I could try 6 or 11 if no one is using them, there isn't a lot of wireless traffic in my area.  My transmit power is on high (the default I believe).  I just checked and neighbours router is using 6 and 11 now, not 1 anymore. 

I bought the archer vr600 in FEB 2019.

The problem mostly happens in the evening and it didn't happen last night so hoping the factory reset has fixed it!!

Options
2019-11-03 13:19:26

@Kevin_Z 

I have set the router to your settings, channel 11, 20mhz and middle power.  Do you think the WiFi chip could be overheating?  It's strange as we had a hot summer yet now its fairly cold and that's when the problems started, so not sure if it's overheating, unless the heat from summer damaged it.

I bought it from Amazon, it says my return period has passed but do I have a guarentee with Amazon or TP-Link?  As it's less than a year old.

I thought it might be fixed but it did it again last night, I took some pictures though.  Hope I can add them to the thread?

As you can see the routers lights are all on

I can't get to admin panel with chrome or firefox on wired PC

I can ping 192.168.1.1 with wired PC (first time I tried and was surprised)

On my laptop it first said connected no internet when it lost the connection (the laptop was on and connected at time of failure) - I thought when this happened before it had totally lost the connection to router but maybe not, I can't get to any websites though. When I disconnect and try to reconnect I get the last screen, unable to connnect.

Another thing, I went to the router and noticed the WiFi on/off button on the side, so I pressed it and long pressed it and nothing happened on the router, I have never used it before but shouldn't it turn wifi on and off?  So then I pressed the on off button, unplugged it for a minute then plugged back in and turned on. The underside of router was quite warm but not overly so I thought, but gave it some time to cooldown anyway.

Options
2019-11-07 17:38:57

@Kevin_Z 

Since changing the wifi settings to what you wrote I have nearly 5 days uptime now, the longest it's been for 2-3 weeks now.  I'm hoping the problem has gone.  I'm thinking it must be the transmit power that fixed it.  My neighbours seem to have a new router, it has about 6 AP's using 2.4 and 5ghz as they are using Sky Q.  I wasn't using the same channels as them but perhaps it affected my router somehow. 

Thanks for the help

Options
2019-11-14 15:46:19

It finally crashed again last night, after nearly 2 weeks I reckon, so I contacted Amazon and they are sending me a replacement router!

Options
2019-11-15 06:35:32

@ThatTechGuy 

I see, what a pity that this issue cannot be fixed yet. 

While it is glad that Amazon will send you a replacement; once you get it, you can configure it and take some time to test its performance.

Any further problem, be free to let us know.

Best regards. 

Options
2019-11-15 12:07:22

@Kevin_Z 

Yeah, I will run it at medium transmit power from when I get it, as I think running it at high might have damaged the wifi chip, can't be sure but worth a try.

Options