How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-01 22:49:31 - last edited 2020-04-20 05:40:22
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20190719 Rel. 14937

Hi,

On the Deco P9, how to check on the performance and correct functioning of the Powerline Backhaul?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?-Solution
2020-11-17 09:26:27 - last edited 2022-07-14 02:54:21

@Mav3rick 

Hi All,

Please refer to this link to check whether powerline backhaul is working or not.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/236860?replyId=519310

And if the signal source showed as Wi-Fi and PLC backhaul, there is no way to turn off one of them.

But PLC backhaul has a higher priority than Wi-Fi for the communication between Decos;

As for more details, about Deco backhaul, please refer to this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2401/

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Related Article:

Deco P9 PLC issue

Recommended Solution
Options
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2019-11-03 18:52:35 - last edited 2019-11-03 19:01:02

@EMerks 

I set up 3 Deco P9 yesterday and the functionality is extremely limited I'll make a list:

1. No indication that PLC Backhaul is working or whether the backhaul is using the WiFi mesh.

2. No information on which Deco the clients are connecting to.

3. No RSSI information on the clients.

4. No information on what channels/power levels the Decos are operating at.

5. Access Point mode does not work when connecting all 3 Decos. (Adding the 3rd seems to break the whole network, but works no problems when one of the Deco is in router mode).

6. No ability to change the IP subnet/DHCP server range that the Decos are using.

7. No uPnP support for Multiplay online gaming.

8. No ability to change the DNS server that the DHCP server gives to clients.

9. No option to change Wifi security settings i.e change WPA2 to WPA3.

10. No option to band steer clients to 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz (or turn off the legacy 2.4Ghz altogether).

Options
2019-11-04 02:33:30 - last edited 2020-11-17 09:27:13

@EMerks 

Unlike Deco P7 which can indicates the status of powerline backhaul via the led status of the power adapter, there is no indicator to check the performance on Deco P9.

While be assured of it, we have noticed it and we are working on a new firmware which supports the function to check the status of powerline backhaul.

You can keep an eye on official website for more updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-11-04 02:43:37

@BozMoz 

These functions will be supported via the firmware upgrade, like the option to indicate the status of powerline backhaul and which Deco the clients connects and so on. 

For the DNS server, it is changeable. Go to Deco app, click more-advanced-IPV4-turn of obtain DNS server automatically and then change them manually. 

The wifi security type is WPA2 by default, the Deco P9 does not support WPA3 yet. 

And the Deco P9 supports UPnP by default. 

As you mentioned that the Deco P9 does not work in access point mode, could you please provide more information? Like the network diagram, the model number of main modem; the led status of the Deco P9 and so on. 

Thanks in advance. Nice day. 

Options
2019-11-04 11:54:53

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@BozMoz 

These functions will be supported via the firmware upgrade, like the option to indicate the status of powerline backhaul and which Deco the clients connects and so on. 

For the DNS server, it is changeable. Go to Deco app, click more-advanced-IPV4-turn of obtain DNS server automatically and then change them manually. 

The wifi security type is WPA2 by default, the Deco P9 does not support WPA3 yet. 

And the Deco P9 supports UPnP by default. 

As you mentioned that the Deco P9 does not work in access point mode, could you please provide more information? Like the network diagram, the model number of main modem; the led status of the Deco P9 and so on. 

Thanks in advance. Nice day. 

Thank you for replying Kevin_Z I do appreciate it.

First thing : 'These functions will be supported via the firmware upgrade'

Can we expect an ETA for this? Personally such basic information such as which Deco's clients are connecting to and the ability to change the WiFi Channel should be already in the product if it is currently for sale. I feel like I am paying for the privilege to be TP-Link's QA/Beta tester.

Second Thing: I have found the option to change the DNS, thank you. But no ability to change the subnet that is in use (frustating, same feeling as above).

Third Thing: 'The wifi security type is WPA2 by default, the Deco P9 does not support WPA3 yet.  And the Deco P9 supports UPnP by default. '

I do not uPnP support on the product information website, on the box itself or on the specifications and overview on the website. How can you tell that these features are in use? And if these features do exist, why are they not advertised? It seems to me that TP-Link marketing are shooting themselves in the foot by not advertising these things in the specifications page.

Fourth Thing: Access Point mode.

The network I wanted setup is displayed below:

As you are aware, this did not work in access point mode. The LEDs on the Decos were a mix of either solid red or blinking red. I could connect to the wifi OK and get an IP from the NetGear router, but I could not ping the NetGear router or anything on the internet. I found during troubleshooting that having 2 of the Deco P9 did work in access point mode, however when I connected the third one that is when everything started to fail, red lights solid and blinking. The main selling point of the Deco P9 for me was that the PLC can be used for backhaul as the house is not Cat6 cabled in the walls.

I now currently have the setup as the top Deco P9 in router mode. Same network topology but I have replaced the NetGear with a Deco P9 and this is working OK for now but ideally I would want the NetGear as the router as this supports a site-to-site IPSec VPN which I use to connect to other families homes (also allows them access to the printer/NAS in this network without opening them up to the internet with port-forwarding).

Options
2020-03-11 23:00:15
Where the new firmware we keep getting promised?
Options
2020-04-02 22:38:58
Great list!
Options
2020-04-09 11:03:02

@Kevin_Z Also wondering about an ETA for that firmware update - that was several months ago now?

Options
2020-04-10 17:07:25 - last edited 2020-04-10 22:50:00

@ruu1989 @Kevin_Z 

Same here. When is the new firmware due? It's really needed for (at the moment) these POS units.

Bought the P9s to replace the existing network at my parents (mix of repeaters, modems and router) and the network quality dropped noticably with the P9s from the old. 

What irks me the most is the complete lack of any status information for troubleshooting and usage. 

Edit: Grammar and clarification

Options
2020-04-10 19:53:42

@EMerks 

The lack of a firmware update is now beyond a joke. As is the lack of any commitment from the TP-Link team on these pages as to when it will be released.

Options
2020-04-11 10:22:14

@lohr500 

I too and royally fed up with this expensive mesh system that I've spent nearly £250 on which is worse than the ISP supplied router itself. We are constantly told the firmware is on the way, but clearly the problems are far beyond firmware, otherwise it would have come out by now. Everyone with a P9 should be offered a full refund. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 39575

Replies: 135