Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2020-05-25 18:47:15

@Peter__C 

I was facing random Deco P9 units disconnections and the whole setup was very unstable. 

It seems that Decos were trying to use WiFi backhaul even with weak signal.

My solution was to permanently disable the WiFi backhaul and use only PLC.

Solution - How to Disable WiFi Backhaul

Options
2020-05-26 16:55:30

@JR4 I made the HORRIBLE mistake of buying 2 of them, they arrived saturday may 23rd, I was SOOO excite and installed them on my 5,000sq ft home....  two days later I went back to my old Ubiquiti Amplifi because I had dropped connections all over my house and then stumbled upon this thread trying to find a solution. This should be a class action lawsuit. I cannot return them because my wife threw away the boxes. Now I have $400 down the trash. I'm staying as far away as possible from the brand, the support SUCKS and is completely unacceptable.

Options
2020-06-24 17:24:54

@JR4 I keep getting dropped connections in a random fashion.  Deco units will go Red and then come back with no apparent changes made.  My Nest Cameras and Google Hubs work fine / then loose connection to the network (again with no changes being made and even a very light home load.)  I'm getting pretty frustrated as I put this in to help my family with connectivity and now my daughter is using an ATT hotspot because the home network is un reliable.

Did you figure out a resolution?

Thanks

Options
2020-06-25 07:02:13

@Chip57 

Hi Chip57,

After a lot of messing about with support it turned out that one of my units was too far from the master and the occasional drop outs caused by varying signal strength (everyday life stuff) caused the whole mesh problems.  I moved everything about 6ft closer together and it worked much more reliably - I am using it to work from home and to support remote desktop connection and terminal connections that are in constant use.

Murph

Chip57 wrote

@JR4 I keep getting dropped connections in a random fashion.  Deco units will go Red and then come back with no apparent changes made.  My Nest Cameras and Google Hubs work fine / then loose connection to the network (again with no changes being made and even a very light home load.)  I'm getting pretty frustrated as I put this in to help my family with connectivity and now my daughter is using an ATT hotspot because the home network is un reliable.

Did you figure out a resolution?

Thanks

Options
2020-06-26 18:56:58

@Murph Hi, can you share the beta firmware the support team sent to you?. Thanks!! This problem is driving me nuts.

Options
2020-08-04 23:13:25

@JR4 

Having same issues..  

P9. losing connectivity

Options
2020-08-04 23:16:02

@Kevin_Z 

The address would be great, but the fact of the matter is that the devices do not reconnect to the mesh network.

This system worked great out of the box, but powering them on and off on a daily basis is a giant pain....

Options
2020-08-04 23:17:30

@Neil-S 

Would love to find the same recommendation..

Options
2020-08-05 08:55:26

@JR4 

I finally found a solution to my problem. It's called Devolo Magic 2 Next. Almost three weeks now without any problems and none of my kids have asked me to "fix the internet" which was my daily task when I was using Deco P9.

Devolo software is also far more advanced compared to Deco P9. I can actually see the connection speeds between the different mesh units. Installation was super easy with WPS, it actually copied all the wifi information from my router (which is Telewell brand) and created the mesh wifi with same SSID/password. I turned off the router wifi and all devices connected to the new mesh wifi. I did not have to go trough all the devices, they connected automatically.

I don't know if this solution works for you but it sure worked for me. Devolo actually delivers what it promises allthough I have speeds between 250-850 Mbps instead of the advertised 2400. It's still superior speed compared to the "device out of internet" with 1000 speed that Deco P9 promises and there is no way for user to see which is the actual speed between Deco P9's.

I'm a type of a person who never does any customer reviews and I have never before recommended any product. This time is an exception due to the countless hours I tried to "fix the internet" with Deco P9 and the frustration I had with the product. I have only one issue left. I do not know what to do with the Deco P9 that are obsolete now. I can not refund them. I have too high morale to sell them to anyone, the product is so bad and I don't want anyone to have this much issues with any product. Maybe I frame them, to remind me: "TP-Link never ever again"

I doubt this post will stay here long and neither will I because I found working solution. Just wanted to give a heads up for everyone still struggling with the product. There is actually working solutions from different manufacturer.

Options
2020-08-05 13:49:20

@okortepu 

Lucky you.

I got a set of P9 with the original firmware, and had to return them. They were almost unusable in Access Point mode, with the "Smart DHCP" feature destroying the network. But the IPTV set-up boxes, with wired connection, worked fine.

The Devolos for me seemed to work fine, but the IPTV box connected to it would keep hanging up, even though the link speed was the best of the all network. So I also returned those and got a new set of P9s. It helped that I got a new router from the ISP that supports bridge mode, and in router mode first, and then with the new firmware they've been reasonable.

I still see have rare occasional drops in the Deco farthest from the Main, but it hasn't been too bad. I hope to sort that out with a wired connection over Moca, since I have no ethernet cabling available. Waiting on changing a splitter to make it work.

Options
Related Articles