Deco P9 in combination with Deco P7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-28 16:52:31
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Since there are currently some good deals on the TP-Link P9, and I already own two P7, I do have two questions:

1) Will the Deco P9 PLC Backhaul work with the Deco P7 I currently have?

The P7 has HomePlug AV and the P9 has HomePlug AV2. Since those are backwards compatible it should work but since I can't use other PLC adapters, they  seem somewhat limited.

2) Is the P9 better than the P7?

The P9 looks like an improvement if you look at the number, but when I compare them (https://www.tp-link.com/nl/support/faq/2423/), it seems the P7 is still the better as it is AC1300 vs AC1200. The complete WiFi speeds are 847Mbps@5GHz/300Mbps@2.4GHz vs 867Mbps@5GHz/400GHz. It looks to me the 5GHz speed on the P9 should also be 867Mbps like on the product page so it only means 802.11n devices are a little slower which isn't that bad. That compared to the higher PLC speed makes me wonder which of the two are the best.

Reason I am looking at the P9 is I only have two P7 (first and second floor) and since I need a cable on the third floor, I was hoping to add one. Two P7's currently cost more than three P9's and I would love to have a spare one to use in case I need a cable and I am not near one. The third one would remain in the box. So I could swap all P7's with the P9's and use the P7's as back-up or keep the P7's and use one P9 permanently and keep the rest as back-up.

If PLC doesn't work, I'm thinking about the M4's, but the current price difference isn't huge and the floors doesn't really allow WiFi to travel from one floor to the other so PLC was one of the mayor selling points.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco P9 in combination with Deco P7
2019-11-29 01:22:02

@Sietse 

Deco P7 and Deco P9 can work together with the PLC backhaul. And neither Deco P7 nor Deco P9 can work with other powerline adapters, like TL-WPA4220KIT, the powerline feature is used for the backhaul, it cannot pair with other powerline products. 

In general, the Deco P7 is more powerful. For the difference between each other:

1. Deco P7 is round and Deco P9 is cylindrical

2. Deco P7 supports Homecare functions, including Antivirus, application Qos and TM-based Parental Control functions. Deco P9 currently only supports Parental Control and device QoS functions based on self-developed database.

3. Deco P7 has a Wi-Fi association rate of 1300Mbps (400+867), while the Deco P9 has a Wi-Fi association rate of 1200Mbps (300+867).

4. The Deco P7's PLC association rate is AV600, while the Deco P9's PLC association rate is AV1000.

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4686

Replies: 1

Related Articles