TP-Link VR400 Bridge Mode on Sky Fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-10 20:58:37 - last edited 2019-12-11 05:29:48
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v0070.0

Hello. Thanks for letting me join.

I'm hoping someone might be able to save me, I have spent about 3 days scouring the internet for info and inputting various settings to get a TP-Link VR400 in Bridge Mode using Sky Fibre as my ISP. The reason for this is that I have Google WiFi nodes around the house and so I wanted to ditch the Sky Q router to avoid the pitfalls of having a Double NAT issue on my network, as you can't disable the wifi on the Sky router. Hence purchasing the VR400. 

The problem I am having is that when I set it up in Bridge Mode, I seem to lose the internet connection completely. I can't find a way (if there is one) of using the quick setup with Sky (MER) and changing DynamicIP to Bridge Mode. I have tried to add bridge mode later through Advanced > Network > Internet withought much luck. 

If anyone can guide me through I would be extremely grateful.

Also, and slightly off-topic, I was getting around 74Mb on the Sky router hardwired to the primary Google node, currently with the VR400 hardwired to the Google node, I am getting around 48/50Mb. Any ideas why that might be? 

Regards.

RobMc

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-Link VR400 Bridge Mode on Sky Fibre
2019-12-11 05:29:30 - last edited 2019-12-11 05:29:48

@RobMc 

Hello, the Archer VR400 is used to synchronize the DSL connection only, no other settings required/supported. 

If you need configure the sky mer dynamic IP connection, you can configure it as the DSL modem router but with wifi function off, then you can use the Google wifi nodes to provide wireless connection. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-11 13:11:40

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply. I understand I can just turn off the wireless 2/5GHz aspect of the router, and currently this is how I am running it. But would it not be better to just have the TP-Link solely as a modem and the Google WiFi as the brains of the system? 

On the Google app, it says that the nodes are currently running in Bridge mode as it has detected a Double NAT issue. I was hoping to clear this issue using the bridge mode on the VR400 that was all. 

Rob.

Options
2019-12-11 15:44:25

@RobMc 

It might help if I put the situation I'm currently trying to sort onto paper...

I have set up a new CCTV system and I am at the point of setting up the mobile device application. In the house on the wifi it works fine, however I went out later on in the day and it said the system was offline using 4G phone signal. After some tinkering I found I needed to open up ports 80, 8000, 443 and 554. Now I'm struggling because the TP-link router cant see the IP address that the NVR is on, as that is conected to the Google Wifi. So the router is currently refusing to allow a rule to open those ports, from what I can gather. 

So what I was wondering was can I just set the TP-Link VR400 up to be solely a Modem, no firewal or anything. Allow the Google WiFi nodes to set up port forwarding rules etc and I wont have the future issue of having a Double NAT should someone want to plug a playstation into the network. 

Hope this makes sense, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Options
2019-12-12 11:44:56

@RobMc 

Thanks for your reply, I got your points. 

You can setup the Archer VR400 as the bridge mode and use the Google wifi node as the main router, in this way, there is no double NAT issue; 

While there is no configuration required on VR400 when it works as a pure modem, that is to say, you need setup the Sky mer with dynamic IP on the Google wifi node. 

If Google wifi supports it, then everything would be fine; otherwise, you can configure the VR400 as the DSL modem router mode but with wifi function off and the Google wifi works as the access point. Then the VR400 will assign IP address for the devices which connect to the VR400/Google wifi; and there is no double NAT either. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-12 13:01:03

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin.

I dont think the Google WiFi is capable of being set up with the Sky(Mer) settings. I have tried to put the VR400 into bridge mode but it just hasnt worked for me. 

"otherwise, you can configure the VR400 as the DSL modem router mode but with wifi function off and the Google wifi works as the access point. Then the VR400 will assign IP address for the devices which connect to the VR400/Google wifi; and there is no double NAT either."

Any chance you could expand on the last point you made or point me to a tutorial on how to set it up, as this sounds like it could work for me. From what I understand I will be able to set static IP addresses for the CCTV and NAS on the TP-Link router, even though they will be connected to the google wifi? 

Regards.

Rob.

Options
2019-12-17 09:14:01

@RobMc 

Correct, for the configuration, you need configure the Archer VR400 as the regular DSL modem router with the username and password given by ISP. After you finished the configuration and ensure that you can get internet from it, you can login to the web UI and go to advanced-wireless settings page to disable the wifi function or you can press the wifi button on the back to turn off the wifi function.

Then you can configure the Google wifi as an access point, for the detailed instruction, you can contact the tech support of Google to get some help. As far as I know, it should be easy to set it up. 

When the Google wifi works as access point, the VR400 still acts as the DHCP server, so you still need reserve the IP for the NASCCTV on the web UI of the VR400 even though they are connected to the Google wifi. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5255

Replies: 6

Related Articles