Can VR1210v be used in bridge mode (pure modem)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-14 11:55:22 - last edited 2019-12-18 06:58:25

I am looking for a cost effective vdsl2 wifi router that can be used in bridge mode. This is sometimes called pure modem mode.

Does anyone know if the VR1210v allows configuration in bridge mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can VR1210v be used in bridge mode (pure modem)? -Solution
2020-06-20 07:06:24 - last edited 2020-06-20 07:08:41

@sja1440 Sorry for the long delay in replying. I hope that the following description is helpful.

My objective is to configure the TP-Link vdsl VR1210v modem so that it only manages the technical vdsl protocol to my ISP exchange. The modem does NOT manage the PPPoE connection to my ISP - that is managed by a separate firewall box.   

Physical connections of the VR1210v modem:

• TP-Link modem DSL port: connected to my vdsl line provided by my ISP
  • TP-Link modem LAN1 port: connected to my home system firewall box via an ethernet cable
  • TP-Link modem LAN2 and LAN3 ports: unused.
  • TP-Link modem LAN4 port: modem management interface used when necessary by a standalone notebook PC. Note that this port does not provide access to the internet. The VR1210v provides a DHCPv4 service on this port.

Here are the key settings that I use on the VR1210v modem:

Network->DSL internet->connection

• Internet Connection Type: Bridge
  • DSL Modulation Type: VDSL
  • VLAN ID: Enable  # Only needed if your ISP requires you to use a VLAN.
  • VLAN ID (1-4094): 1036 # Only needed if your ISP requires you to use a VLAN.
  • Interface Binding: Disable DHCP Service on bound LAN(s)
  • Interface Binding: LAN1 # This effectively creates the ethernet bridge between the modem's DSL port and the LAN1 ethernet port.

The firewall box is then configured to connect to the internet using PPPoE without any vlan tagging through the ethernet cable to the modem LAN1 port.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Can VR1210v be used in bridge mode (pure modem)?
2019-12-18 03:29:06 - last edited 2020-06-20 07:09:23

@sja1440 

Hello, for your information, almost all the VDSL modem router supports bridge mode. Like Archer VR400, Archer VR600 and the VR1210v.

They work as the pure DSL modem by default. 

May it help. 

Options
2019-12-18 06:57:43

@Kevin_Z  Thanks.  I just bought one and I can confirm that the vr1210v can be used in vdsl bridge mode.

Options
2020-01-25 08:50:01

@sja1440 

how ?

i cannot find it in the menu ?

Options
Re:Can VR1210v be used in bridge mode (pure modem)? -Solution
2020-06-20 07:06:24 - last edited 2020-06-20 07:08:41

@sja1440 Sorry for the long delay in replying. I hope that the following description is helpful.

My objective is to configure the TP-Link vdsl VR1210v modem so that it only manages the technical vdsl protocol to my ISP exchange. The modem does NOT manage the PPPoE connection to my ISP - that is managed by a separate firewall box.   

Physical connections of the VR1210v modem:

• TP-Link modem DSL port: connected to my vdsl line provided by my ISP
  • TP-Link modem LAN1 port: connected to my home system firewall box via an ethernet cable
  • TP-Link modem LAN2 and LAN3 ports: unused.
  • TP-Link modem LAN4 port: modem management interface used when necessary by a standalone notebook PC. Note that this port does not provide access to the internet. The VR1210v provides a DHCPv4 service on this port.

Here are the key settings that I use on the VR1210v modem:

Network->DSL internet->connection

• Internet Connection Type: Bridge
  • DSL Modulation Type: VDSL
  • VLAN ID: Enable  # Only needed if your ISP requires you to use a VLAN.
  • VLAN ID (1-4094): 1036 # Only needed if your ISP requires you to use a VLAN.
  • Interface Binding: Disable DHCP Service on bound LAN(s)
  • Interface Binding: LAN1 # This effectively creates the ethernet bridge between the modem's DSL port and the LAN1 ethernet port.

The firewall box is then configured to connect to the internet using PPPoE without any vlan tagging through the ethernet cable to the modem LAN1 port.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-24 20:46:36

@sja1440 I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to set up my existing Archer VR900 to do just as you describe in your solution - be a pure modem without doing the DHCP or WLAN work, and have my new cable router connect to it over its WAN port and have the PPPoE definitions.  Problem I had was that if I didn't have a PPPoE definition in the Archer I got no Internet connection at all.  I configured it as a bridge, but had to keep the PPPoE definition too.  I followed guidance in another TPlink post for configuring bridge mode which didn't mention the VLAN configuration, so I will try that tomorrow, as my ISP (BT) does require VLAN configuration, so maybe specifying that in the bridge definition will resolve the issue.

However, I'm not clear on how you configured the other part of your setup - " The firewall box is then configured to connect to the internet using PPPoE without any vlan tagging through the ethernet cable to the modem LAN1 port. "

How did you set up your firewall/router without VLAN tagging?  Just leave this area blank in the PPPoE definition on the firewall?

Thanks in advance...

Options
2021-11-25 07:03:52

@LondonSi72

Yes.

The pppoe definition is only on my firewall/router - it not on my VR1210v.

The vlan definition is only on my VR1210v. There is no vlan being used between the VR1210v and the firewall/router.

I do not define any vlan within my pppoe configuration on my firewall/router.

Options
2021-11-25 19:50:25

@sja1440 Thanks for your reply.  I had time to try changing the setup earlier today and can confirm that deleting the PPPoE definition then adding the VLAN to the bridge definition in the Archer, then defining the PPPoE setup on my ASUS cable router worked.  I now have the Archer as a pure modem for my home setup.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3497

Replies: 7