Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

29 Reply
Re:Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System
2021-03-08 12:54:17

I've got 2 Deco m4 units and find that while walking around the house with zoom call it freezes for a few seconds and then resumes.

I have checked to see if fast roaming is enabled and indeed it is.

I bought this unit especially for the fast roaming capabilities

currently running in an AP mode with Backhaul function.

please advise a solution

Options
2021-03-16 14:57:08

Previously I had Archer C7 + RE200 (OneMesh).

Skype video call with my iPhone SE (first SE version) perfectly roam from Archer to RE and back. 

No video or audio freeze.

Now I upgraded to Deco E4 (with ethernet backhaul).

Changing Deco is now very slow (same with Fast Roaming on/off).

Skype video calls always freezes for cca 10 seconds.

Use Archer C7 (OneMesh) 802.11 kvr? Or use another way to roaming?

This is really unexpected from Deco product.

Options
2021-03-23 16:02:53

Moved Decos more away from each other and turn off 2.4Mhz solved problem.

Options
2021-04-09 13:14:25

@Kevin_Z I had a 3 pack M5 v.3 Deco system in my apartment and decided to add a 4th Deco to improve connectivity in a shady area. I bought a M9 Plus v.2 and set it as main Deco – M9 Plus is supposed to have 2x more antennas, be more powerful and smart altogether…

I've noticed a decrease of stability after the M9+, which was the exact opposite of what I expected.

Pings are slower and videos are taking a little longer to start on apps like YouTube and Netflix. The speed isn’t great either.

This happened after the M9+… I’ve moved the M5 satellites closer, and it helped a little bit, but that wasn’t necessary when the M5 was there.

I got help from a user here and he told me to shut down the node I set in my son’s room, but it didn’t improve the network at all.

I’ve set all my stationary devices that don’t need mesh tech such as TVs and desktop computers, but it didn’t affect the results.

I have optimized the channels, but that hasn’t changed the outcome.

The firewall is on and I have parent control set for some devices, but they where all there before the M9 Plus…

Firmware is up to date on all Decos.

Should I recreate the network? That’s the only thing I haven’t done. I’ve added the M9+ as a satellite and then set it as main Deco…

Or maybe there’s something wrong with the M9 Plus… it should at least have a range improvement when it replaced the M5, but it wasn’t...

Options
2022-05-31 13:11:41

@Kevin_Z 

hi! does this work when in access point mode? 

thanks

Options
2022-06-01 03:20:24

@maximosg 

Yes for both wireless router mode and access point mode.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-07-23 07:42:52

Im use 3 deco  M5, actualy dissapointed, because not like im expectec, seamless not working well (android user, lgv30, s20fe,) almost lock first time connect, even far away, still lock not change deco near by, soo better for me to turn off mesh, and my experience, its kinda lag a bit, some time when connect wifi, my phone tell me no internet first at 1-4 second, very annoying, and even im connect to my cctv local ipcamera, its laggy/rto sometimes, i have try router mode/ap mode, still same, for me its not worthed, just go back to regular my old router(not tp link) its more better connection

Options
2022-08-02 20:13:13

I have a client fast roaming drop out problem on my Deco M5 system - 3 units.

I have an Aura photo frame which will only work when fast roaming is disabled. I have tried the work around of disabling mesh functionality for the Aura but it still disconnects as soon as fast roaming is enabled.
I have spoken to Aura and they recognise that this problem occurs but don't know how to fix it (yet).

Has anyone else suffered this problem and discovered a solution?

One solution that TP link could provide is to give separate fast roaming toggles for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz elements of the wifi signal. Most of the clients I wish to have roaming are using 5 Ghz so losing the capability on 2.4 wouldn't be a problem.

Options
2024-03-15 22:55:39 - last edited 2024-03-15 22:56:34

@Kevin_Z Is it off or can this be turned off for IoT Network? Is this feature SSID bound or is it on AP level?

I had issues with some Tuya devices on main network with x50-PoE until I turned it off.

But I haven't tried to create IoT network and migrate devices there with fast roaming enabled. Should I try?

I'd like to keep my legacy devices connected to a legacy WIFI network, as I have some very expensive Bosch Professional Washer and Dryer units that don't like newer APs.

Thanks

Options