Loss of wifi signal at 2.4GHz (Deco M4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-21 19:12:25
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190620 Rel. 45372

Hello,

I have just bought a Deco M4 wifi mesh system. I have configured it in AP mode and all three nodes are interconnected using ethernet cables. I am having some troubles due to what looks like limitations of the product:

1. Same SSID name for 2.4 and 5GHz bands makes difficult to control to which band will my dual band devices finally connect.
  2. I have lots of collisions with WiFi networks from my neightbors but TP-Link app doesn't allow me to select manually wifi channels.
  3. It seems wifi signal at 2.4GHz dissapears quite frecuently so my devices using this band lose internet connection quite often.

and I am starting to wonder whether I should return it to the vendor and buy another system from other vendor. In particular I wonder if issue #3 is a hardware problem of my unit or it is a fault affecting all Deco systems.

Comments from other users having similar problems will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any reply I could get.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Loss of wifi signal at 2.4GHz (Deco M4)
2019-12-23 06:36:08

@jealsa 

Hello, first, it is hard to verify which band your device has connected directly, while it is easy to distinguish them by checking the wireless link speed between them or with the help of some third party programme. 

Signal Rate 300 Mbps on 2.4 GHz
867 Mbps on 5 GHz

Second, there is no option to change the channel manually, while this request has been forwarded to our product department and they will evaluate the feasibility. 

Third, regarding to the unstable connection of 2.4GHz, we need do some troubleshooting first to narrow down this issue and try to fix it. 

1. How do you know that the 2.4GHz loses connection? By checking the network connection of specific device which supports 2.4GHz only? 

2. At that time, can you get internet from the Deco by wired cable or 5Ghz wireless connection? 

3. In the meantime, can you detect the 2.4GHz wireless network or it is still connected but no internet access? 

4. Have you ever tried to swap the location of the Deco units or change the slave Deco to the main Deco?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/ 

Thanks for your reply in advance. Good day. 

Options
2019-12-23 13:27:56

@Kevin_Z 

hi,

I noticed when 2.4GHz wifi band stopped working because all devices connected to wifi 2.4GHz lost connection to my home network, on my android phone I went to settings to connecto to my home network but my home SSID didn't appear in the list. Also I tried to detect Decos signal at 2.4GHz using android app Wifi Analyzer but couldn't find it. Apparently Wifi 5GHz band and ethernet ports on Decos were working normally. I disabled 2.4 wifi band using TP-Link Deco app and reenabled it but it didn't restablish wifi services at 2.4GHz. Finally I had to switch off all Decos and start them one by one until service was restablished. The whole procedure was rather cumbersome specially for non IT users like my family and improper of a system advertised as self-healing.

I you need more information I will be willing to supply it.

Thanks,

Options
2021-01-19 22:16:38

I have same problem. The satellite deco M4 don't generate 2.4Ghz wifi and if I disable the 5Ghz the satellite deco just disable all the wifi becoming useless. 

At first I saw all the old wifi devices weren't able to connect to the satellite deco while the smartphone connected without problem. Then I checked with the app wifi analyzer and realize that only the main deco got the 2.4 GHz wifi.

The wifi is very stable and grant high speed to the 5G devices but I really miss the 2.4G for the satellite and I'm going to return the decos and come back to the old TL801ND. 

I'm running the last firmware 20200918 Rel 74289. 

Options
2021-01-25 17:03:42

YES! After upgrade i lost my 2.4Ghz signal.. before upgrade its was good.. How to get previous software.. 

Options
2021-01-25 17:39:22

What 2.4ghz bands do your devices support?

My M5s optimised their channel and moved to one outside of the scope of one of our laptops, the network totally disappeared for that device. 

I found the channel range in the drivers for the laptop and increased the range of channels it supported, and then reconnected.

I'm wondering whether the units you have are country/region compliant

Options
2021-01-26 02:44:33

@Andrea9999 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind feedback.

We were very interested in your case and could you please help me check the following information

1.  If we reset the satellite Deco and set it up as the main Deco, would it start broadcasting the 2.4ghz?
  2. How long have you had M4 and did this issue start just after the latest firmware update?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-26 02:50:45

@kikull 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

May I know how many M4 do you have?

Have you tried to test the wireless signal of the M4 by Wi-Fi analyzer as well to see if there is any 2.4ghz as well as its channel and channel width?

Is your current firmware 1.4.2 Build 20200727 Rel. 37987?

Have you tried to reset the Deco M4 to see if that made any difference?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-04-14 15:38:09

@jealsa Hi there,

Did you solve the problem?

Options
2021-04-28 12:21:37

I have the following problem with the M4.

I have the provider's modem connected to a Tp-Link AX10 - which works very well and had a TP-Link C6 v3.2 connected to the cable for the 1st floor. both worked very well but had the limitation of expanding the signal further.

I switched to the Deco M4 2 base system and the headache started.

I started configured in AP mode the main Deco to the AX10 and it seemed to work well. connected the AX10 and M4 wifi with the same SSID. But I noticed that there was a delay in connecting to a network and the devices (32 devices) were lost. I erased everyone's network and connected only on the M4 and the same thing.

I disabled the wifi of the AX10 and only the M4 and I still have problems with the devices. it practically only connects half.

I decided to change the network of the AX10 to connect the other devices and now on the M4 my internet connection fluctuates constantly. it is only 10 min and falls.

already tried in 2 modes and I am unsuccessful (AP and router).

I am disappointed with the Deco solution and before the routers AX10 and C6 worked very well.

Options
2021-04-29 10:45:59

@James_Luna 

Hi,

I think the recommended setup would still be:

ISP—Archer AX10(wireless router mode with Wi-Fi disabled )—<cable>--Deco M4(access point mode)---<Wi-Fi> 2nd M4;

Then you could test the current connection and provide more details about the dropping issue like:

1. Would any Deco turn red when the connection dropped?
  2. How about the dropping frequency and how did you restore the connection, like disconnect and connect to the Wi-Fi again, or reboot the Deco?
  3. How many devices would connect to the Deco and did all of them have the unstable issue?
  4. Please save the system log on the web UI: http://tplinkdeco.net

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3643

Replies: 11