Deco M9 plus wifi connections dropping continuously

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 plus wifi connections dropping continuously

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
45 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus wifi connections dropping continuously
2020-08-31 17:54:51
@allrelative Thanks for the suggestion to split up the 2.4ghz/5ghz traffic between the primary and guest network. I just learned that 2.4ghz is limited to only 11 devices where 5ghz can support up to 23 devices simultaneously, I'm currently averaging 17 devices on our network at any given time. The trade off is 2.4ghz offers farther range but slower speed, so the streaming devices (smart TV, Roku, Home Mini etc) are better suited for the GUEST WIFI @ 2.4Ghz, especially since they don't need printer access, then all the laptops, printers, PC's can use the 5ghz for gaming/printing etc where higher speed is necessary.
Options
2020-10-08 15:45:24
I have the same experience. I installed the mesh yesterday. The backhaul was wifi. I got Cat6 cables today and wired it up. Main unit to Unit 2. Unit 2 to Switch. Switch to SAN. Finally Switch to Unit 3. The units 1 and 2 seemed to work fine. I presumed that the second unit would work. However, later checking it, I found the it disconnected. I reset the deco, removed it from the mesh, and reinstalled it. For that I had to disconnect the network cable and take it to the location of Unit 2. Once it was added to the mesh, I brought it back and it seemed to work. I then plugged in the network cable and the Deco disconnected from the mesh. I removed the network cable and restarted the deco and it started up. I again plugged in the network cable and it disconnected again. So now I have removed the network cable and restarted it and it seems to be fine. I wonder what the problem is as I did want the backhaul to be via the network and not WiFi. Do let me know if you get somewhere with it. Also TP-Link, Please respond! There are so many people with the same issue.
Options
2020-11-12 18:01:51

@tau I was having the same problem, (laptop wireless into M9) however I noticed that all of my smart devices (plugs, assistants, lights etc.) were not having any issues. So after some troubleshooting I found that if I manually switched my laptop over to 2.4 ghz it never lost connection. Not really a soltion but I can get my work done now.

Options
2021-01-30 02:55:17

I'm having a similar problem.

If a device moves from connecting from one deco to another, or a new device connects (I open the lid on my laptop for example) all the decos turn red and get flakey. this behaviour lasts for a while then stops.  Someone already connected seems OK but not all the time.  It's very strange.

Options
2021-02-13 21:36:56

@tau I have the same issue now.. replaced a Linksys AC1900+ with the Deco M9 (3 pack).  The wired drop works perfectly,

I have not seen them lose connectivity.  I do however see wireless devices dropping, like during zoom calls.. and my VPN

tunnel drops often during the day.. when before it never did.

I am running the Deco M9 as router Mesh.. I may put the Linksys back as router and try the M9 in AP mode.  But it sounds

like the same issue.

--

Dan

Options
2021-02-14 07:31:12

@HoRangMo I ended up replacing both my Deco M9+ units under warranty and have no issues now. I suggest you try the same as Tp-Link tech support didn't have any solution besides to replace the units. I can now say that my Deco M9+ are working the way they should be and not dropping at all. 

Options
2021-03-19 06:38:02

@Kalle_A 

For the record, I wanted to contribute my solution. It looks like one potential drop-out reason is that the Deco system is trying to perform a firmware update in the background, but something is going wrong during this process (commented in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/hni0ep/deco_m5_connectivity_issues/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3).

My solution was to power-cycle the modem to reset the wifi, which go me back on the network, after which I manually triggered a firmware update for the deco systems from within the application. If power-cycling the modem doesn't re-enable the wifi, then you may just need to wait for the wifi to come back up to do this. 

It hasn't been too long since I did this fix, so I'll add an update if this solution doesn't work long-term.

Best of luck to anyone trying to solve this in the future! Hopefully, Deco will improve the background update processes. 

Options
2021-03-20 00:02:21

had these about a month and a half.  great speeds.  Internet dropping constantly on the non-wired to the moden Deco.  

the deco conecnted to the modem has no problems with Wifi.  The 2 stations loose internet way too much.  Laptop shows its connected to the AP just no internet.  

Sadly there seems to be no fix other than to return.  

Options
2021-03-22 07:26:46

@urbanachiever 

Hi, if you would like to spend more time, I would be glad to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information as well:

1. Did your laptop connect to the satellite Deco via Ethernet cable?

2. Would any of the satellite Deco units blink red when the connection dropped?

3.Since there is new firmware available for Deco M9 plus now, could you please try to update the firmware to be the latest firmware first:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m9-plus/v2/#Firmware

https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202102/20210219/Deco_M9_Plus_V2_1.5.1_210126.zip 

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-04-06 13:09:12

@TP-Link 

I also have this problem, losing the wi-fi when my modem and the original wi-fi remain online.  The green light is always green so that does not help diagnosis.

My firmware version is 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel 59387

I have 3x Deco M9 Plus v2, the main Deco is connected directly to one of the modem ethernet ports.

This problem makes it impossible to use the system for work as I keep getting cut off in meetings! very frustrating.

Options
Related Articles