Kasa reporting all devices offline or unavailable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-28 16:59:10 - last edited 2020-01-09 02:34:23
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a number of smart plugs and bulbs in the house. We use the Kasa app. Everything has worked faultlessly for a couple of years. Suddenly, all control has stopped working, for all devices, either locally or remotely. The devices are reported by Kasa as offline or unavailable. I have logged out, and back into, the app. I have turned off, and back on, the plugs. They appear to connect to wifi - green light - and can be turned on off via the switch on  the plug. But the app has ALL of them greyed out. I have tried to contact TP Link but no one ever answers. Any advice please???

Desperate user and fan of TP Link

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa reporting all devices offline or unavailable-Solution
2020-01-08 08:46:45 - last edited 2020-01-09 02:34:23

@MikeP Thank you for the suggestion.  After much investigation, all devices came back online after I forced the router to rescan Wifi channels.  It was odd, because no other devices in the house were affected, only the TP Link plugs. But a rescan of channels fixed it, immediately. 

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Kasa reporting all devices offline or unavailable
2019-12-30 16:03:07
You don't mention if you tried this, but if they're not flashing the first step is to force your phone onto your 2.4GHz SSID to see if it can find the switches. If it does, make sure remote access is enabled - then your phone will probably find the switches when you go back to your 5GHz SSID. If not, try rebooting your router. The problem must be network/app connectivity as it's unlikely all of your devices would fail at the same time.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-01-08 07:40:21

@smithhn 

Hello, how many smart plugs and bulbs do you have? And what are their model number? 

Try to reboot the smart home devices; and you can delete the App and reinstall it. 

You can reboot the main router to give it a go as well.

Still the same, you can take one or two of them to reset and reconfigure. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Kasa reporting all devices offline or unavailable-Solution
2020-01-08 08:46:45 - last edited 2020-01-09 02:34:23

@MikeP Thank you for the suggestion.  After much investigation, all devices came back online after I forced the router to rescan Wifi channels.  It was odd, because no other devices in the house were affected, only the TP Link plugs. But a rescan of channels fixed it, immediately. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-08 08:47:17

@Kevin_Z Thank you for helping. See my reply below. 

Options
2020-01-09 02:34:19

@smithhn 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply, glad to hear that you figured it out finally. 

It helps a lot.

Good day. 

Options
2020-05-31 17:53:43

@smithhn I have the same issue with my devices. How did you force the router to scan the channels again? 

thanks!

Options
2021-09-25 13:55:10

@smithhn what do you mean by "rescan the wifi channels"? I have this same issue and I've tried resetting the router but the issue remains. All ~20 devices working fine until this morning and now none can be reached.

Options
2021-11-27 12:50:10
How is this even a good solution?? I had a power outage this morning and all my TP Link devices are unavailable. I have reset the router but nothing. I am not going to spend my time resetting every single of 20 devices every time there is a power cut. What is the permanent solution please?
Options
2021-11-27 14:52:43

@BigNickUK Don't reset anything, it's unnecessary trouble and can mess things up further. 

If the tp link devices are flashing amber or otherwise indicating they're not connected to wifi, the suggestion here is to reboot/restart your router first.  Wait a minute and then restart (not reset!) any of the tp link devices that are still indicating they're not connected to your wifi.

Once the tp link devices are connected to your wifi (double check in your router status), if they're still showing not connected in your app you've got some other problem.  Try turning off wifi on your phone to see if they're available over the data network.  If yes, try reconnecting your phone to your 2.4GHz ssid to see if it can find them.  If no, there's a router or network issue you'll need to sort (how depends on your router or provider).

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-12-19 01:28:32

@smithhn I have the same question, how do you rescan the wifi channels? my smart plugs worked for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden they just died and all i got was the "your device may be powered off or out of network range." they are certainly not out of network range, and all other wireless devices in the house are all connected per usual. there was no power outage since they were working and then decided to stop. so how do rescan? this is beyond frustrating. thank u for posting!

Options

Information

Helpful: 36

Views: 32458

Replies: 13