TP-Link TD-W8961N (EU) causing latency to WLAN PCI-e cards

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-17 22:59:55 - last edited 2020-01-17 23:02:09
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 180118 Rel.05999

Hi all,

After replacing my old modem/router with a TP-Link TD-W8961N (EU), the 2 PCs that connect wirelessly to it are experiencing latency. One of them exhibits noticeable stuttering during online gaming and/or mp3 playback, as verified by LatencyMon v6.71. The PCs have the following WLAN cards (both runing on Windows 10 1909):

• Edimax EW-7612PIn v2.0 (PCI-e, Realtek RTL8192CE)
  • ASUS PCE-N15 11n (PCI-e, Realtek RTL8188CE)

I have tried with the latest drivers (both from the retailer and the chipset manufacturer), changing WiFi channels etc. but without any luck. Has anybody experienced something similar? If yes, how did you manage to resolve it?

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link TD-W8961N (EU) causing latency to WLAN PCI-e cards
2020-01-21 01:31:18

@cipher 

Hello, what about the normal network activities? Like browsing? Do you have the same issue--high latency?

Please show us a screenshot of the ping results. 

You can try to setup static IP addresses for these two devices; besides, you can add them into QoS list. 

You can read page 46 of the user manual to get the instruction. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:TP-Link TD-W8961N (EU) causing latency to WLAN PCI-e cards
2020-01-26 11:14:39

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your answer. I am referring to the system latency, as measured by LatencyMon (see attached screenshot). The "culprit" routine is ndis.sys, The latency effects are very easily noticeable when there is mp3 playback in the background.

The other PC exhibits much higher latency figures and some microstuttering is sometimes noticeable even when browsing.

The PCs already have static IPs, but I don't think QoS would help for such an issue, as QoS wasn't configured in the previous modem/router either (I can give it a try though, just in case).

Regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1019

Replies: 2