Repeated "IP configuration failure" on WiFi new router...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-18 15:36:28
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 170504 Rel.68210n

This router is a few weeks old, yet has begun to suffer with ip configuration failure on and off on all WiFi devices, and is becoming regular.

A power cycle fixes it, but that is not a proper solution. All ethernet connections remain stable.

Everything is pretty standard excepting, application of parental controls for certain website for my son, and a wireless schedule enabled to turn off the wireless overnight(so my son doesn't spend all night awake!).

It might seem odd to not want to do something so simple as restart the router, but I have banned my son from retsarting our routers as he will do that to attempt to fix any problem he sees. I game online regularly and he has often just turned off the router without asking right in the middle of my gaming, my wife remote desktopping, during streaming movies anything in fact!

Restarting every time is not a proper fix. There has to be a proper fix. Can anyone help me? Or point me towards the proper solution?

Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Repeated "IP configuration failure" on WiFi new router...
2020-01-20 08:41:42

@Alex.mc 

Thanks for your information.

What is the led status of the Archer VR600 when you lost wifi connection? 

Can you detect the wifi networks at that time? Or they are still connected to the wifi but no internet access and no valid IP address? Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz have the same issue?

Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings of the Archer VR600? Like wireless channel and channel width? 

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day. 

Options
2020-01-20 10:10:07

@Kevin_Z 

The LED status was all normal from memory. I did go and look at the router and noted all the normal lights were lit and not flashing.

Yes I could detect the networks. I tried forgetting and reconnecting but that didn't seem to work.

Both 2.4 and 5 have the same issue.

I have set both freq's to specific less crowded channels. Channel width is the default.

Options
2020-05-23 11:14:09

@Kevin_Z 

I am having the same problem. a new VR600 router, a few weeks old and this week I've had to restart it because devices can't connect.

Devices with current IP leases can reconnect, devices trying to reconnect cannot. The router's webpage doesn't load.

It happened again this morning, and is in this state as I type this. I cannot load the router's webpage, my phone cannot reconnect but laptops and wired devices can.

I am a software engineer and this is clearly a firmware issue as a reboot fixes it and has only started occurring after the recent firmware update.

The device feels really hot underneath like it's stuck in a spin-loop but I've never tried the temperature when it's operating normally.

Options
2020-07-26 21:32:09

@Bagguley 

Have same problem repeatedly - and had same problem on another expensive TP-Link router

best to junk it - bring it back to shop and get a reliable alternative brand

I would never buy or reccomend TP-Link to anyone after recent experiences of their routers and if you check the internet, we are not alone

Options
2020-07-28 18:41:54 - last edited 2020-08-07 01:02:43

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4207

Replies: 5

Related Articles