Can't access Remote Desktop when connected via router, but can when connected via access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't access Remote Desktop when connected via router, but can when connected via access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-24 12:16:32 - last edited 2020-02-26 08:12:56
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi

Very strange networking issue.

Here is my topology (desktop in seperate room to router):

Router -> Powerline ->  Desktop

I cannot connect to Remote Desktop if connected to WiFi via my Router.  Note that desktop gets internet access via router absolutely fine, and also gets DHCP assigned address absolutely fine.

HOWEVER - if I'm connected to the wireless access point that is co-located in same room as my Desktop, I can connect.

All devices are on the same subnet (255.255.255.0).

Things I have tried:

• Switching on/off all devices :-)
  • Switching off firewall on both desktop and router
  • Turn off CGMP snooping
  • Opened the appropriate ports on NAT

I am now at a loss, except for a possible faulty router (this same setup worked with BT Homehub 5 - which I can no longer use as now on TalkTalk).

Any tips much appreciated!

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't access Remote Desktop when connected via router, but can when connected via access point
2020-02-26 08:12:44 - last edited 2020-02-26 08:12:56

@ReturnOfTheMac 

So if you connect your client to the router's wifi, you can not connect to the remote desktop, but it works when you connect to the access point wifi? 

How did you access the remote desktop? Do you access it from the local network or remote one? 

With your client connect to the router's wifi, try to ping the IP of the desktop and show us the results. 

And which port you have enabled for the desktop? Is it 3389? 

Thanks a lot. 

Options
Re:Can't access Remote Desktop when connected via router, but can when connected via access point
2020-02-26 10:47:23

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@ReturnOfTheMac 

So if you connect your client to the router's wifi, you can not connect to the remote desktop, but it works when you connect to the access point wifi? 

This is correct. 

However I have since realised that if I unplug the RE220 (tp link access point) then I can access LAN devices via the routers WiFi.

So now I'm of the view that the RE220 is somehow not communicating with the VR600 correctly.

I tested the theory by using a different access point and the WiFi worked fine on both router and new access point.

Ideally I'd like the RE220 to work as I can manage it on tether (and it looks nicer!).

It is in access point mode, I have tried assigning a static IP v dynamic IP, assigning Wifi channels (as oppose to using AUTO), using same/different SSIDs & passwords....and now I'm out of options.

Any further ideas before I return the RE220 and get something different? 

Thanks! 

Options
2020-02-27 09:48:26

@ReturnOfTheMac 

Thanks for your reply. That is a little weird, we need get more details. 

So the powerline you mentioned on your first reply is RE220? What about the wireless access point? Could you please tell me its model number? 

With RE220 works in access point mode and connected to the VR600, please connect your desktop to the RE220 and click here to get the IP address and gateway. In the meantime, please ping the IP address of another device that connects to the VR600 directly. 

Note: Please show us the screenshot of the IP address/gateway information and the ping results. 

Besides, what is the current hardware and firmware version of RE220. Please log into the web UI and show us a screenshot of the status page as well.

Thanks a lot. 

Options
2020-02-28 10:51:24

@Kevin_Z So I've narrowed down the issue...

With TPLINK VR600 and TPLINK RE220....I can't access LAN devices through the powerline.

With TPLINK VR600 and BT access point...I CAN access LAN devices through the powerline.

With BT Router and RE220 access point....I CAN access LAN devices through the powerline.

So...the conclusion is that the TPLINK VR600 and TPLINK RE220 can't talk to each other, for whatever reason.  There aren't really any settings in the RE220 I can play with so I've tried to match router settings with those in the BT router but still no joy.

I'm not at home right now to show you the ping results but I'm not sure what that will tell you apart from confirming what I'm saying above.  I can post them tomorrow for what it's worth.

Options
2020-02-29 18:22:02

Having reached the conclusion that the VR600 and RE220 can't communicate with each other over powerline, I have since replaced them with a Netgear access point and all works straight out of the box.

So nothing wrong with my network setup :-) I am now going to return the RE220 and go back to not spending hours trying to resolve this.

Good luck anyone else running into this problem!

Options
2022-02-19 08:47:56
Same problem here (except different router) trying to access desktop remotely (inside LAN) from Android device, using MS Remote Desktop V10 (LAN extender is TP-link RE450).Remote connect was working fine in same LAN WiFi zone as extender, but not from router zone connection. I experimented with my X-plore App (probably the best Android File Manager out there) by connecting via LAN to access remote desktop at system level, then tried Remote Desktop again, hey presto!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3005

Replies: 6