how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-25 22:29:56 - last edited 2020-07-15 10:07:14
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.2

have been using 3 x M5 units in mesh (AP) configuration with ethernet backhaul for about a year now.

after overcoming the common (backhaul) configuration issues, it is stable and works perfectly.

had a friend come over and do a security sweep and was amazed to find out that at 2020 the device still has WPA open with no ability to disable it.

my 2 questions -

1. how do I disable WPA and only use WPA2 ?

2. is there a timeline for WPA3 ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode-Solution
2020-09-29 01:36:43 - last edited 2020-09-29 01:36:54

@Stattutaren 

Hello, we actually have released beta firmware for the Deco devices to allow you change the wireless security type on your system, you may refer to the below link to get the beta firmware for your Deco model:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/227662?page=1

Let us know if you have any further inquiries, thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:how to disable WPA on M5 mesh in AP mode
2020-02-26 07:15:30

@AnonyOne 

For your information, the Deco supports WPA/WPA2 mixed by default; for those devices which support WPA2, it will choose the more secured encryption - WPA2 automatically; and there is no option to disable WPA. 

As for the WPA3, the Deco M5 does not support WPA3 yet, it is suggested to keep an eye on the official website to get more updates. 

https://www.tp-link.com/wpa3/compatibility/

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-26 09:41:27

@Kevin_Z 

hi,

WPA has been considered unsecure for years now.

I do not understand the logic of forcing a user to have both security protocols bundled together and not letting the user choose to disable the unsecure one (WPA).

I understand that this was probably done initially in the past to support all the available wifi clients at the time, some of which might have not supported WPA2.

but we are now in 2020, and to be honest - I wouldn't even want to have at home a device which works on an unsecure protocol as it exposes my entire network.

I ask that the developers reconsider this "bundling" decision and let the users pick their preferred level of security.

this change can be incorporated into the release of WPA3 as a simple system-wide selection for the minimal security on the network (WPA / WPA2 / WPA3).

Options
2020-03-06 13:12:58

no comment...?

Options
2020-03-09 02:46:25

@AnonyOne 

Thanks for your reply. 

We have noted your request to disable WPA, we will forward it to our product department. 

And if you worry about the security, you can create a complicated wifi password for the Deco and ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Besides, with antivirus and firewall enabled, it will protect the Deco from external attack. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-07-14 19:32:22 - last edited 2020-07-14 19:32:49

@Kevin_Z 

+1 on implementing this feature. I have connectivity issues with some hardware and need to force WPA2, currently no way of doing this. 

Options
2020-07-14 19:39:04

Kevin_Z wrote

@AnonyOne 

Thanks for your reply. 

We have noted your request to disable WPA, we will forward it to our product department. 

And if you worry about the security, you can create a complicated wifi password for the Deco and ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Besides, with antivirus and firewall enabled, it will protect the Deco from external attack. 

Good day. 

@Kevin_Z  That does appear to be like saying "Your front door doesn't lock, but we've given you a guard dog". It's not really the point if the door blows about in the wind. 

Options
2020-07-15 10:07:08 - last edited 2020-09-16 01:09:24

@richpriest 

Hello, thanks a lot for sharing your opinions here, we appreciate that.

Currently, as you know, this feature to fix the security type is not available and we do receive some similar feedback. We have forwarded it to the related department and they can work on it. 

At the current stage, however, we cannot provide an exact ETA to our customers as the developers need to evaluate the feasibility to add new features and do round and round tests to ensure its performance. Most importantly, we cannot only add just one single feature in the new firmware release, thus a new firmware generally has multiple features added and bugs fixed to improve the performance of the whole mesh system. We believe that you guys need a new firmware that is more powerful and much more suitable for most requests but not to be our best testers.

Good day!

Options
2020-07-23 20:20:14
This is some kind of joke? This is Critical Security bug not a "new feature". WPA is so weak that you can break it on mobile phone in 5 minutes. Also some new devices will not allow you to connect if you have WPA enabled. Is you can't fix this then maybe it is time to use openWRT or some other alternativ ?
Options
2020-09-03 22:23:31

+1 for another customer asking when this feature update will be available? 

Why can't you give us what other routers and devices have been giving us for 10 years? I see you have bee doing firmware updates, but for features nobody has asked for (like "smart" commands). 

I'm giving it another week before I will simply have to return my Deco M5 (so I am within my product return window) and get another product. It's absurd that this feature has been an afterthought. Especially when you consider iOS and Android are just about to release the new versions of their software which will render these devices useless, warning you every time you try and connect to these networks which are forced to run the outdated WPA protocol. 

If you can't offer us any solid indication as to *when* an update that allows us to choose "WPA 2 Only" will be available, I strongly encourage EVERYBODY here to return their devices and get another brand. It's simply not worth it having such a gaping security hole in their network, no matter how much more "convenient" TPLink thinks it is for the end-user.

Options
2020-09-13 08:44:38

+1 for an urgent security update removing wpa!

This should not be part of a routine update.

Can we get an eta? 

I've just setup my M5s 2 days ago and already had 3 rogue devices connect to my wifi! Honestly flabbergasted that there is no option in place to disable wpa. 

Disappointed too at the official responses, seems that this issue isn't being treated with the urgency it should be. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6139

Replies: 22