RE305 not working after upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-04 22:19:37
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: re305v3_eu-up-ver1-1-0-P1[20191118-rel68207]

Hello, 

as a resolution of the topic https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/175360 I got a custom (I think) firmware made by support engineers by mail, which I uploaded to the repeater and it worked until today.

Today I noticed a new firmware available in application from TP-Link (Tether). When I tried to launch the update, I got the information that downloading failed, so I went to my PC and to repeater's web page. There, I allowed it to update and update went through - or I thought so.

Immediately after the download bar disappeared, I got error message from repeater's web server that it cannot find \ page. Similar to normal HTTP 404 message. Yet, I waited - Power LED was blinking on repeater all the time. As a strange thing I would say that the WiFi from repeater was available all that time.

After two / three hours of wait, all LED's disappeared and Power LED was still blue, no bliking. All network communication went impossible - no networking on the repeater, not even any reaction to the LAN cable connection. RESET button also does not work, regardless of how long I hold it, be it 1 second as manual says or 30 seconds. After plugging it off and on from socket, I get for a second all LEDs shining blue with exception of Status LED (which is red), but after that only Power remains stable blue.

Can I do anything about that or only warranty becomes my only hope here?

Options
12 Reply
Re:RE305 not working after upgrade
2020-03-05 07:15:18

@antythesis 

Thanks for your reply. Was there any power outage during the firmware upgrading? 

You mentioned that you can detect the wifi network name of the RE305, have you ever tried to refresh the wifi list? 

Besides, with your computer connected to the RE305 by wired cable, please click here to get the IP address and gateway obtained. 

You can ping the gateway of the RE305 which is 192.168.0.254 by default and show us the screenshots. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-05 07:23:51

@Kevin_Z 

No, there was no power outage. I have unplugged it from power only after 4 hours when I noticed that only power LED is on. No communication was possible then anyway.

I cannot detect WiFi name of RE305, I see only main networks from router.

And no, I do not get any IP from RE305 after connecting by cable, Windows shows this as as autoconfiguration IP. Same behavior can be observed on main router, where - if I connect the RE305 by LAN cable to it - it is not detected and on the LAN socket I can see only green light, with no orange LED active.

Just as I wrote - no communication with the repeater whatsoever is possible.

Options
2020-03-05 08:04:21

@antythesis 

I see, thanks for your valued reply.

I'm afraid that RE305 is bricked. You can contact the retailer or the local tech support to get a replacement if qualified. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-03-05 08:46:27
And is there absolutely nothing that can be done on my side to reprogram it?
Options
2020-03-06 07:38:42

@antythesis 

I'm afraid that there is not much we can do, the RE305 does not support  TFTP firmware recovery and you cannot access the web UI. 

Options
2020-10-06 03:31:48

@Kevin_Z 

Just got the same problem, why TP-Link releases firmware updates if it breaks the device? 

Options
2020-10-09 07:30:16

@Scucia 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Did you update the firmware via Tether APP or via web interface?

And is there any abnormal behavior during the firmware update?

By the way, how long have you had the extender and where are you located?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-31 16:08:36 - last edited 2020-10-31 19:33:04

@antythesis 

I have the same problem - upgraded the firmware to re305v3_eu-up-ver1-1-3-P1[20200826-rel66098] and waited and now I have a bricked unit = NOT HAPPY!!

I have two units and one worked OK and one ended up binging BRICKED - very strange frown

Options
2020-11-02 03:52:27

@jbar1610 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

May I know where are you located and how long have you had the RE305?

Did you update the firmware via Tether APP, or Web UI

Is there any abnormal behavior during the firmware update?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-02 06:05:40 - last edited 2020-11-02 06:15:40

@Solla-topee 

The firmware appeared to download to the unit withe no issues then the unit appeared to 'upgrade' with no issues but failed to come back on-line  only the power LED was 'solid'. The unit was located in the kitchen downstairs from the main C7 router. Luckily the 305 was only a few months old and I was able to replace the unit for a new unit. With this new unit I upgraded the firmware with success and the unit was only 1 meter of the main C7 router. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3700

Replies: 12

Related Articles