AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
78 Reply
Re:AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly
2020-05-24 14:41:12

@brother3093 

Attempt the below, one at a time, to observe the outcome:

• Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
  • Set the WiFi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the reboot.
  • Turn the WiFi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output and observe router stability.

I discovered that as the WiFi Transmit Power is set to high, the router consumes more power and produce more heat, possibly causing instability and reboot. I hope the above helps with troubleshooting the issue. Do reply to let the community know.

Options
2020-05-24 17:04:45 - last edited 2020-05-24 17:05:56

@Godzilla 

I followed the things in this thread and I did following:

1) set static IPs to all devices that i have at home

2) Enabled Smart Connect

3) Previously i had the router sitting flat on a box which covered the vent holes in the bottom. I didn't think that it's a big deal at first but after reading heat problems I elevated the router to allow air come out of it. And yes indeed theres a surprising amount of heat coming out of the bottom of the router. Im surprised that TPLink didn't put more vent holes at the top or a fan.

I haven't tried the Wifi Transmit Power change yet but it seems that now the connection is more stable. Before I had a lot of stuttering during video calls and now it was very smooth.

Haven't experienced a crash or reboot yet.

Options
2020-05-28 16:52:26

Update:

Neither of my AX1500s have rebooted since the first of May.  That is about when we turned on our airconditioning and ceiling fans for the summer.  Nothing else changed.  I truly believe it is a temperature problem.  I fabricated brackets to hold the units vertically which reduced the temperature 10-20 degrees F.  It seems the heat generating components are mounted on the bottom of the circuit board which has very poor cooling.  I expect I will have to put fans on them in the winter when the airconditioning and celiing fans are not running.

Options
2020-06-09 20:31:31

I have request for RMA and I received the RMA device. Tested it for 3 days and still exeperience random reboots several times. I have reached out to their support and it is unbelievable they are asking things to test which doesnt make any sense. like speed of the internet which is irrelivant as it is device problem that keeps rebooting. If there is a way i can refund it. and they said they will escalate to the higher level.

this Device is unusable if it always reboot. I hipe Tp-link should see this and not ignore it.

Options
2020-06-10 06:32:42

@edzel14k 

Sorry to hear that, we will ask our senior engineers to follow up your case by email, please kindly wait and check your email box later.

Thanks.

Options
2020-06-10 12:13:05

@Solla-topee 

thanks for noticing this, if you read all the experience hear it points all to the device issue, and the device architecture heat ventellation, I guess it is poorly design. 

I have read also other forums and complains (you may want to try to check and research) on the AX model from 1500 to 3000 having same issue with random reboots and they all experience it an mention and notice about heat problem, this might be the issue(maybe or maybe not) in any case this should be address by the tplink.

As Im working from home, it is really annoying and bad experience that it always reboot especially when Im in a conference call and it will suddenly disconnect because it reboots. This affecting my job.

I believe others will experience the same way, as many of people now are working from home due to pandemic crisis.

having said all of this, i hope you will have a fix for this. 

Options
2020-06-13 09:31:33

@edzel14k 

Can you give an update here once you hear from the engineers?

Personally once I gave it a better ventilation it started to work better. 

But still on a TV streams it occasionally lags. Idk if it's related to that.

Options
2020-06-13 12:40:13

@Solla-topee 

Please make sure to let your engineers know that there may likely be a heat problem. The router itself gets very hot at the top of it's cover and it has no active cooling. Might be cause of all issues.

Possibly a lower TDP profile for the CPU could help.

Options
2020-06-13 20:14:11

@MarMarHoosk 

The engineer provide me a new beta firmware to test and get debug, after I flash it to the beta firmware I still experience the random reboot, sent the Debug logs to the engineer. 

This router is poorly design, on my experience it reboots like 3 to 4 times in a day and it is impacting my work as I WFH, what keeps me frustrated is, I was on a web conf meeting and discussing with PPT presentation, then suddenly the router reboots which disconnected all my sesssion. it is so frustrating.

I would NOT recommend this product. really a bad experience. 

As I can't refund it. I will just check other brand rather than waiting for a solution which tplink was not able to resolve it. it is waste of $69

As I research the forums this reboots happens on their AX models. Really poor design :( I suggest think twice if anyone wants to buy this.

Options
2020-06-13 20:24:09

@edzel14k 

Sorry that you have to go through this :/ for me once i gave it more airflow by lifting it, the issues went away. It still gets pretty warm but aside from occasional 1s packet drops (Which idk what is the origin of them).

The device looks to be kinda unpolished yet, I think with time they might do revisions and firmware updates and it'll be good. I've seen a lot of reviews where people have good experience with the product.

I'm not gonna defend TPLink here as they SHOULD have at least provided a refund or replacement for a different working model. However I think we gotta appreciate the fact that they seem to be wanting to figure it out, since you even got a custom bios and stuff. These things are super complex and there's god knows how many devices that can connect to it and all kinds of combinations of factors, probably not intentional to release a faulty device.

Again not gonna say they are saint, they should have adressed the heat during testing, but IMO it's quite nice to see that they are actually trying to do somehting about it other than giving you some PR nonsense like most companies would. I've not seen many companies do that.

I hope you find something that fixes it for you tho! Cheers.

Options
Related Articles