Archer C6 in Access Point Mode and Guest Separation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-21 15:46:33
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20200110 rel.60119(4555)

Hello everyone :-)

sorry for the bad english, i used a translator.

I configured the Router as an Access Point, to extend connectivity in a room away from the Main Router (a D-Link DVA-5592 provided by the Internet Manager; :-\ )
The connection between the two routers is via LAN cable.

Everything works regularly except one thing: the Guest network is not separate from the main network, a particular one to the wired one (where I have some PCs and a NAS)
For reasons of security I would like to separate them, because I happen to connect external PCs on which I have to do assistance (typically Maintenance, Updates and cleaning of Computer Viruses).

I thought the problem was due to the fact that DHCP, with the router configured as an "Access Point", is the Main router that assigns IPs.

But also by activating the DHCP of the TP-LInk Router (appropriately configured so that there were overlaps between the 2 DHCP) the Guest network gives access to the main network and to the wired devices.

Obviously I have disabled "Allow guests to see each other" but this only affects devices that connect to the Guest network, but access to Wired devices remains.

I know I could probably solve it by configuring it as a "Router" but this would create problems for me with PCs connected directly to the Main Router that would not see PCs connected to the TP-Link Router and NAS.

Thanks in advance for the answers :-)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 in Access Point Mode and Guest Separation
2020-03-21 16:29:36 - last edited 2020-03-21 16:35:39

@Daniele.Pinna Indeed, it's hard for an access point to isolate anything given that all devices share the same private network thanks to the main router. If any, isolation should be enforced by the main router firewall. And that wouldn't guarantee anything if the AP acts just as a regular switch and all the devices you want to isolate are connected to the AP too.

In more business oriented gear, you could define different WiFi networks, each with its own VLAN tag, and a VLAN compatible router would enforce the isolation as if they were completely separated networks. With consumer grade products (read: cheap) I guess it's asking too much :) 

Options
2020-03-22 14:59:15

@mocelet Thanks for the reply.

I understand that the separation between devices is certainly possible with "business-oriented" products, but practically every router that I have seen with the Guest network had the separation ...

Clearly no router I tried to use it the way I'm trying to use it myself ...

I'll try to "play" with the settings and maybe trying to use the old TP-Link Router (TD-W8770) that I used before this Archer C6

For now, thank you :-)

Options
2020-03-22 15:11:20

@Daniele.Pinna  AP isolation feature in other brands (Netgear, Asus...) works the same, they isolate WiFi guests from other WiFi guests, but they do not isolate wired connections from WiFi guests.

Options
2020-03-22 15:16:49

@mocelet 

I have tried on various routers provided by Italian internet operators (Vodafone, Tiscali, TIM etc) and certainly in a couple of Consumer Asus models ... the guest network is assigned a different subnet and is therefore isolated.

But also in this Router TP-Link it happens like this, but only if I set it as "Router", while if I set it as Access point no.

It is not to argue but only for precision :-)

Options
2020-03-22 15:30:56

@Daniele.Pinna My point exactly, only the main router (the one that access the Internet) can isolate all kind of clients while keeping Internet connectivity.

When it is working as access point, no matter the brand, there is no isolation possible because they would still communicate through the main router acting as a gateway, after all, all clients belong to the same subnet, the one of the main router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2627

Replies: 5