TL-WPA8630P slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA8630P slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WPA8630P slow speeds
TL-WPA8630P slow speeds
2020-03-27 21:30:22
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20171018 Rel.36564

Hi,

I got today my new TL-WPA8630P KIT and quickly installed it. Big surprise: the theoretical data rate is in the interval [75Mbps,125Mbps]  (info from tpPLC and the Web Configuration tool).

The real speed is actually way lower: average 19.9 Mbits/sec. I used iperf3 for that. 

Setup: iperf3 running in server mode on one of my local severs:

[SERVER_X]  <-- eth_1Gbps --> [Archer C7 (AC1750)] <-- eth_1Gbps --> [TL-PA8010P 2.0] <~~ power_line ~~> [TL-WPA8630P 2.0] <-- eth_1Gbps --> [client_PC] - running iperf in client mode.

There is a RE450 as well in the network, but I would not count it as it is just a WiFi extender and doesn't play any role in the ethernet + powerline equation.

Well, knowing that the powerline is not very long (really generously 25m), I thought to make a test more closely one from another.

So I went nearby my rooter,  and I plugged the  [TL-WPA8630P 2.0] in the power socket provided by  [TL-PA8010P 2.0] which is plugged itself into a wall socket - literally one on top of another. I've got data rates in the interval of [350Mbps,450Mbps] ( tpPLC).

Well that was very curious - closer than that they would not get. Well, maybe they have some internal filter or something - I thought - so I plugged them in 2 adjacent power plugs mounted on the wall: data rates in the interval of [350Mbps,450Mbps] ( tpPLC).

The theoretical advertised speed is 1300Mbps via powerline and with the interference from the powerline, I was ready for 400Mbps near my desktop PC plug, not 10cm from each other.

Is there anything I can do to test them or to improve the quality?

Please note:

- The above are LAN bitrates NOT Internet and the Archer C7 router is NOT provided by the ISP (basically the ISP is not involved at all in all of this - I don't care about the internet at this point);

- The tests were done on different power plugs (extremely close, very close, some room, different rooms) but always wall mounted without any power strips involved (basically no surge protector);

- No major appliances were running apart form the TV;

- The server I've used supports way higher transfer speeds: Tested from the same spot via WiFi provided by the extender TP-Link RE450. The server is used generally as a NAS.

I bought the  TL-WPA8630P KIT to improve my existing Archer_C7+RE450 combo, which is giving me 25Mbps in 2.4Ghz and about 55MBps in 5Ghz.

Acctually, the situation got worse than before. The only place where this stuff is giving any acceptable bitrates is in the most useless place possible - 1m form the router.

Is there anything I can do? Is there any environment where I can test it and get at least 1Gbps (out of 1300Mbps advertised)?

Best regards

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8630P slow speeds
2020-03-31 11:31:24

@Ion_G 

Hi, what is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP? 

Are those speed mentioned the powerline link rate between the two powerline adapter at different locations? What is the actual internet speed you can get from the TL-WPA8630PKIT? including wired speed and wireless speed. 

You can change another socket to plug it and ensure the firmware is up to date. 

Try to change wireless settings on the powerline adapter to give it a go. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1611/ 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-31 19:23:24

Hi @Kevin_Z 

Maybe this diagram will help:

• "what is the bandwidth you paid for your ISP?"

This is irrelevant. As mentioned in the initial post, there is no ISP involved. I am not calculating the Internet Connection speed, but the bandwidth between 2 devices in the same local area network:  PC_A and Server_X on the diagram above.

• "Are those speed mentioned the powerline link rate between the two powerline adapter at different locations?"

Here are the ones calculated by tpPLC - the speed between the 2 powerline adapters:

Distance between the plugs Data Rate between powerline adapters
25m [75Mbps,125Mbps] 
0.1m (10cm)  [350Mbps,450Mbps]
0.01m (1cm)  [350Mbps,450Mbps]

• "What is the actual internet speed you can get from the TL-WPA8630PKIT?"

Did that. Again, i do not really care about the wireless on this adapter, but the data rate between the 2 powerline adapters.

The Firmware is up to date.

Tried several sockets: I included 3 cases only in the table above as these are the relevant cases: Where I need it, On neighboring sockets and on top of each over.

• "Try to change wireless settings on the powerline adapter to give it a go."

As said before - irrelevant. But if it's really important: not higher than what I can get from the LAN: 20Mbps.

Wireless: 20.8Mbps

Wired: ~19.9MBps

Measures oscillating in the interval [17Mbps;24Mbps]

• "You can change another socket to plug it and ensure the firmware is up to date. "

Did that. Again, I don't really care about the wireless on this adapter, but the data rate between the 2 powerline adapters.

Am I doing something wrong? I am getting 30% of advertised data rate using 2 head-to-head power sockets. Is this normal?

Thank you again for your help!

Best regards,

Ion

Options
2020-09-16 07:19:13

@Kevin_Z 

It will be soon 6 months since the original post. Do you have any updates on the topic?

1. I am not interested in the internet speed but in the network speed.

2. Am I doing something wrong? I am getting 30% of advertised data rate using 2 head-to-head power sockets. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Options
2020-09-23 07:04:41

@Ion_G 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Reset both power-line adapters then pair them again;
  2. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the master unit 8010P to Archer C7;
  3. Connect the computer to 8630P directly via cable and open the utility once more time to check the power-line rate;

By the way, may I know where are you located?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-08-05 19:38:29

@Ion_G 

I'm also facing similar issue and getting only 30% of speed. No clue why it is happening. Did you manage to fix the issue?

Options
2021-08-05 19:40:06

@Solla-topee 

I'm facing similar issue. I've disconnected all devices, reset etc etc. It doesn't work. I still get 30% of ISP's speed.

Options
2021-08-06 08:56:00

@aklondonuk Hello, 

Please check my reply on your new thread here.

Speed will get reduced while signal being transmitted through powerline . The real speed is closely related to the powerline rate and also the speed coming from router. And users could download tpPLC Utility from here to check the powerline rate .   In the actual household environment, real speed test could be 20% to 30% of the Powerline rate and also capped by ISP bandwidth or router speed. Here is a related FAQ explaining the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2928/

Powerline rate is an indicator of the powerline environment, from your photo the powerline rate is 105Mps, which means powerline environment is not so good and  powerline devices may get unstable/ slow speed. You could follow this instruction and remove the things that may affect the power environment:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/409/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4596

Replies: 7

Related Articles