Virgin Media Hub 3, Deco M4 (x3), Sky Q + mini boxes............ Help 🤯

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-28 06:58:46 - last edited 2020-03-29 16:09:28
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I really need some help before I lose my mind :(

I have a Virgin Media broadband setup using the hub 3. I also have Sky Q and several mini boxes. I was having problems with WiFi coverage, especially upstairs. Having read reviews, I purchased the Deco M4 triple pack solution.

Thought it would be a simple plug n play scenario :(

So the bottom line is, I simply can't get it all to work together.

i've tried different combinations such as mondem only mode on the modem, access point only mode on the decos, etc

The best I've managed to achieve is having the deco's up and running, with the main sky q box connected via WiFi. However it can't find the mini boxes as it says it can't obtain an IP address.

i'm bit of a novice when it comes to networking and therefore would really appreciate some support/assistance.

just to complicate things, I thought I could use the other Ethernet port from the main deco (Ethernet backhaul) to provide a wired connection to a switch which has other devices connected, however the minute I connect this, it kills the WiFi :(

Thanks in advance Raj

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Virgin Media Hub 3, Deco M4 (x3), Sky Q + mini boxes............ Help 🤯-Solution
2020-03-28 23:31:02 - last edited 2020-03-29 16:09:28

@Coll it will if its in router mode - in that case all your decos need to be in access point mode . If you have the virgin hub in modem mode (as I do) then its wifi is turned off - then its just acting as a modem and the deco you have plugged into it should be set up first as router and then connect the remaining decos to this one. 

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Virgin Media Hub 3, Deco M4 (x3), Sky Q + mini boxes............ Help 🤯
2020-03-28 18:22:25

Ok 

Just in case - if the virgin box is in modem only mode and the deco is in access point mode nothing will be handing out ip addresses.One of them needs to be in router mode

I have my virgin hub in modem mode - main deco in router mode and the rest as slaves.

Turn off the 5Ghz wifi on the decos and then reset the network settings on the Q box,

Follow the on screen instructions to connect to wifi and if that gives you an IP address, reset the minis and connect them to the mani Q box following the on-screen instruictions. This should connect using the sky mesh network.

If all that works, try turning on the decos 5Ghz network and see if everything still works.

Options
2020-03-28 20:20:18

@RWB66 

thanks for your reply.

i will give that a go tomorrow morning.

so just to be clear, the modem won't generate its own SSID ? I just connect everything to the one created by the Deco ?

Thanks Raj

Options
Re:Virgin Media Hub 3, Deco M4 (x3), Sky Q + mini boxes............ Help 🤯-Solution
2020-03-28 23:31:02 - last edited 2020-03-29 16:09:28

@Coll it will if its in router mode - in that case all your decos need to be in access point mode . If you have the virgin hub in modem mode (as I do) then its wifi is turned off - then its just acting as a modem and the deco you have plugged into it should be set up first as router and then connect the remaining decos to this one. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-03-29 16:09:17

@RWB66 

thanks for the advice.

i stripped it all back, did advised and everything is all working now !! 

thank god ! 

Options
2020-03-29 18:08:02

@Coll Glad to hear it worked !

Options
2020-03-30 02:23:29

@Coll 

Glad to hear that it works. With Deco M4 works with a pure modem, to make internet work, we need to configure the Deco M4 as the main router with the parameters given by ISP.

Best regards. 

Options
2020-09-11 14:08:27

@RWB66 

Please can you explain this set up in more detail.

I have a deco M5 system, the main sky q box is connected via ethernet cable to a deco but my sky Q mini is wireless.

Please can you advise? 

Options
2020-09-12 10:02:33

@Sam_Gman 

Sam the minis talk to the Q box over their own mesh network (5gHz non-DFS channels). You can hard wire them but buy default they connect over wifi. The Q box connects over 2.4 ghz wifi or over ethernet to a non-sky router .

Options
2020-11-14 13:15:30 - last edited 2020-11-14 13:44:50

@Coll Can I just ask - Did you end up leaving the hub in Router mode or Modem mode?

Options
2020-11-16 07:09:07

@UptonPK 

Hi, there would be two combinations:

Virgin Hub as the bridge mode, Deco as the wireless router;

Or Virgin as the wireless router, Deco as the access point;

The second one would be more recommended.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3641

Replies: 11